• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A1R Warning about gauges

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
If you have an A1R do not try to test the voltmeters on dash. They are not voltmeters, they are indicators driven by CAN data from a ECM or ECU. Do you know where that unit is located in the truck??

Reworked LMTV

I can read these signals with my Picoscope if it is CANBUS. If there is no signal, the whole board typically gets replaced.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

I have never looked at one on a military vehicle, but usually there is a central CPU and small cpu's in various aspects of its operation. Look for a box that is similar to the C7 or 3126's ECM. The box may be heavily shielded, if it is EMP proof. In a car with CANBUS, for example, the operation typically done be a relay is taken over by a small cpu's in each door, or truck, or whatever you want to control from the central cpu. It allows much greater flexibility in functions than just on off. If a board goes out, it's typically expensive. Typically the whole board is replaced since it is SMD.
In an A1R where does the signal come from?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
NO, I was just saying that the VOLTMETERS on the dash were databus. A voltmeter!! WHY. So I can calibrate the voltmeter with the scan tool maybe?

But the idea of changing the speedo through the C7 engine ECU gets my attention since I am soon putting 3.07 diffs in and I have the CAT scan tool and ETM

And I plan to repair the voltmeter, it is just smd, no problem. That's what I do.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

So if the volt meters speaks CANBUS, then the whole system is CANBUS. Seems a bit overkill to canbus a volt meter, but it does not really surprise me. Now that I think of it, if a had a truck with an ECM, I might carry a pre-programmed spare. My experience with ECMs has been not great. Don't know anything about the CAT ones and reliability. SMD repair can be done with a heat gun and a microscope, as you know. No biggie, if you can trace the signal and find the bad part or look for burned parts on the board. Wonder why it died.

NO, I was just saying that the VOLTMETERS on the dash were canbus. A voltmeter!! WHY. So I can calibrate the voltmeter with the scan tool maybe?

But the idea of changing the speedo through the C7 engine ECU gets my attention since I am soon putting 3.07 diffs in and I have the CAT scan tool and ETM

And I plan to repair the voltmeter, it is just smd, no problem. That's what I do.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In reality is it not in the allison trans ECU?
When I took my 3126 ECM in to CAT a year ago we walked through the settings. There's a field for the gear ratio that will change the speedometer. I'm setting up a CAT ET laptop to play with these things instead of paying for a tech's time. I bet there's more we can play with in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks