• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine fan

Stevev

Hey Guys
Happy Thanksgiving
this may be a dumb question but
should I be able to turn the fan blades when the engine is off?
blades don’t spin when it’s off or when it’s running and engine is cold or at 160
degrees?

Stevev

Let me clarify
the blades don’t freewheel
and when it’s idling it spins at the speed of the pulleys when the engine is cold or hot

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me clarify the blades don’t freewheel
and when it’s idling it spins at the speed of the pulleys when the engine is cold or hot
Completely normal. When I say " freewheel ", I mean it spins along with the engine due to friction and not the same speed as the engine as if it was engaged. If you have ever seen a 939 series 5 ton engine running with the hood up, the fan normally does not turn at all unless it's engaged.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I understand Steve, the fan is locked and turning with the engine at engine speed when the engine is running. Not being carried along by parasitic drag. Not "completely normal". Fan is engaged when it shouldn't be.

And unable to turn by hand when the engine isn't running.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SOOOooo, if I want the fan to disengage while water fording... Rather than rev the engine I can install a switch between the thermoswitch wires. Then flip the switch to ON when I want the unit to disengage for water fording. Nice.

Great video.

T

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SOOOooo, if I want the fan to disengage while water fording... Rather than rev the engine I can install a switch between the thermoswitch wires. Then flip the switch to ON when I want the unit to disengage for water fording. Nice.

Great video.

T
i have been installing fan cutoff switches like this for many many years....

papakb

When I first got my truck years ago it had the normal set of fan problems and I installed a switch along the left side of the dash with a 3 way switch on it that allows me to operate either in always on, always off or normal cycle modes. It's a simple wiring change to the TDM.

cupholder.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks