• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helpful Source to Identify Proper Fluids

peakbagger

I didn't go through them all but I do note they got the transmission fluid correct. A warning to all SEE owners is you need GL4 not GL5 rated fluids for the transmission. GL5 replaces GL4 in most applications but on Unimog's the additive package in GL5 will eat the synchronizers. GL5 is fine for the diffs but GL4 is for the transmission. I expect some folks will try to standardize and try to go with GL5 to reduce inventory.

Last edited:

Pinsandpitons

Yes, looks like a nice reference but they also listed dot 4 as brake fluid. Fine if you flush the system completely right, but uncle sam ran dot 5 did they not? I’m not sure about the mixing if the two but it’s supposed to be bad.

fasttruck

Do you get any guidance from the applicable lubrication order ? An oil jobber with a good computer should be able to translate mil spec numbers into their civilian equivalents.

Speedwoble

Yes, looks like a nice reference but they also listed dot 4 as brake fluid. Fine if you flush the system completely right, but uncle sam ran dot 5 did they not? I’m not sure about the mixing if the two but it’s supposed to be bad.
We have to recall there are far more Unimogs than the Military FLU419. Many of them were DOT 4. Refer to the applicable manual or lubrication order for your particular vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks