• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter drain leaking

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm noticing that when I park, the drain hose for the stock fuel filter onto the driveway. Is this normal? The drain cap on the fuel filter is tight.

cucvrus

Get a $1. O Ring and correct the problem. Or spend more and change the design. My opinion if it matters any would be the O ring. Retain the original system by repairing what is leaking. If I have a leaking engine I repair the leak. I mean that stock fuel filter has maintained itself leak proof for over 30 years. Fix the leak. Or NOT. That is my opinion. Yes there are 2 paths you can go by. But in the long run. It's much less expensive to maintance and retain the stock fuel filter. Others opinions may and will differ. But after over 24 years I still have/had stock filters on all my CUCV's. Fact being I removed a few spin on units and returned them back to the stock configuration. Do as you wish. Be Safe and Have a Happy Holiday.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may require the entire petcock screw. Report back. Happy Holidays.
I removed the screw and I didn't see any place for an o-ring. The petcock looked in pretty good shape so I cleaned it off put it back on. It appears to still be draining but I'm not sure it's as bad as before. I'm still not happy with the leak in the driveway but it's not as bad.

SPECIALTYLC

I removed the screw and I didn't see any place for an o-ring. The petcock looked in pretty good shape so I cleaned it off put it back on. It appears to still be draining but I'm not sure it's as bad as before. I'm still not happy with the leak in the driveway but it's not as bad.
Are you sure its leaking at the drain? I just had to replace my housing with a spin on unit as the original was leaking (Bad) from the sensor wire on the back.

cucvrus

Make sure you find the source of the leak. It could be the pressure switch. That can be removed if need be. It only sends a signal to the cannon connector under the dash for diagnostic connection. The pressure switch can be bought for less than $40 and you can JB weld the entire cavity shut in lieu of converting to a spin on. I always convert spin on filters back to original. I have a few nice ones I removed. The nicest one is an Isuzu filter assembly with a palm priming pump on top. It was just put on before I bought it from the guy and he gave me the original one with nothing wrong with it. You know where that went. Good Luck. Report back.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure its leaking at the drain? I just had to replace my housing with a spin on unit as the original was leaking (Bad) from the sensor wire on the back.
It looks like it's coming from the drain hoses but I'll ensure that's not catching the drips from above.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just changed out my fuel tank sending unit. The stock clamp isn't as tight as it used to be. I came out to fuel coming from the top of the tank. I now believe I need a better clamp and the fuel filter is draining back to the tank.

My conclusion is the stock filter base needs some TLC. Is there something to rebuild or do I need another option?

cucvrus

You are telling of several leaks. I have corrected the filter base leaks several ways. 1.) I replaced the pressure switch because it was leaking. Most times it was the original one and I felt it lasted 30 years a new second design one will last 30 years or more. 2.) I removed the base and removed the pressure switch and used a self tapping bolt/screw and sealer. I threaded it into the inlet and outlet of the base at the pressure switch and filled the cavity with The Right Stuff just as a precaution. 3.) I had a few new filter bases that did not have the pressure switch and installed them. I don't have anymore new bases and haven't for years. I have removed spin-ons on several units and replaced them with stock filter assemblies that I repaired or picked up in my travels and trading. As far as the loose clamp I always replace the clamps they are always sprung and overtightened to begin with. Good Luck with your repairs. I think you can get this sealed up and back under control. Take Care. Be Safe.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick, thanks for the advice. I'm unsure of resealing the base. I might look for some of the spin on options as it appears this design is not supported anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks