• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy from NC

JdoubleC

Hello all and Happy post Thanksgiving.

Registered many months ago, but just joined the forum. I'm a classic car guy (69 charger and 73 bronco), but have always been interested in the HMMWV's.
They seem like a fun vehicle to own. I've been talking to Dave at Eastern Surplus about buying one of the many he just got.
From the research I've been doing, it looks like I definitely want the 6.5 diesel and 4 speed tranny.
Any recommendations or info would be welcomed.
Thanks for having me.

Craig

twisted60

Welcome from South Florida. Get the 4 speed or you'll upgrade later. Mine is a 998 with 6.5 and 3 speed, my next major update will be a 4 speed.

Chief B

Welcome from Pensacola. I agree with you wanting the 6.5 with the 4 speed. Mine is the 6.2 with the 3 speed and though I just did a partial rebuild on the engine due to pushing it too hard on the freeway, I will be looking into an engine and transmission swap when I can. until then, I will just keep it under 55 to be on the safe side.

Finallygotone

Welcome, your going to love it here these guys are great they will answer the most simple sometimes stupid question that one can ask and never put you down, they are the Well Spring of Wisdom.

fasttruck

Don't make a move without the pubs: operator's manual, organizational maintenance manual, lubrication order. These can be found in print at swap meets or on line. Grease is cheap. Parts cost money. Do you know how to operate a military light switch ? Get the beast started after it runs out of fuel ? There is usually a data plate on the right mside of the dashboard that lists the numbers of the publications that apply to that vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks