• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My recent purchase 1977 M882

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a nice one! Does not show any fire department hacking. Where did you find it?

VTM880

I found it in New Hampshire. It's possible it went straight from the Army to a civilian. It already has the power steering conversion. It has holes in the roof from a revolving light, maybe it was an MP truck at some point.

N1265

Nice truck, Lucky find, I have been looking for another one to re-do but can't find one in decent shape close to me . Keep us posted with your progress.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, very clean. Uncut grille and dash. A bonus of not having the blackout lighting kit

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, very clean. Uncut grille and dash. A bonus of not having the blackout lighting kit
NOT having a blackout light kit? It's a cool accessory but usually a hacked up mess after the fire depts. get done with them, is that why you consider NOT having one a bonus?
I was really fond of mine until one night I was pulling a heavy equipment trailer with lots of clearance lights. The circuit breaker in the 3 lever switch tripped in the middle of a dark stretch of road. I was screwed.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOT having a blackout light kit? It's a cool accessory but usually a hacked up mess after the fire depts. get done with them, is that why you consider NOT having one a bonus?
I was really fond of mine until one night I was pulling a heavy equipment trailer with lots of clearance lights. The circuit breaker in the 3 lever switch tripped in the middle of a dark stretch of road. I was screwed.

Correct, only because of the hack jobs sometimes done to the grille and dash. Better to start fresh if someone wants to have a BO kit ! I've seen some with 12x12 holes in the grille and jigsaw mis-cuts on the dashes. However I do think the majority were done well. While I'm on this peeve, I recall about 60 M880's and M890's at Mechanicsburg being unloaded in 1997 with a forklift. When they were done, I think every truck had at least one huge forklift dent in its side and a bent rear driveshaft. (and some with damaged fuel tanks)

I concur that a good share of FD's and forest services have a reputation for making a mess of stock wiring or even the body, but of course not all. And don't get me started on how some municipalities treat their “free” military trucks. But of course there are also those who appreciate what they have and take care of them

"circuit breaker in the 3 lever switch tripped in the middle of a dark stretch of road. I was screwed."

I had that happen too, with one of my M818's and 40ft commercial stepdeck which developed a short. I don't run trailers at night with my mil trucks but we got bumped into a later loading than usual. Of course the lights have to trip out on a narrow back road with lots of trees and curves and hills on the blackest of nights. They had been working for about 30 minutes prior but then the breaker tripped and kept tripping. The flashers would trip it too. BO Drive worked fine, so away we went. Luckily no traffic, but the ride was a bit slower. Brought back many memories of many bugouts long ago

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks