• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long to warm up 803a before 75% load?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my 803a sets bogs badly to the point of stalling when resistive load of 75% is switched in after about two minute warm up.

When first starting,it seems like it has low compression and takes several seconds to fire up and come up to speed. I understand that there is a delay to build oil pressure but the delay seems excessive to me.

It seems like retarded timing or low compression to me....I don't know for sure.

After a warm up period everything is smooth, the exhaust is HOT and everything runs fine with 43 amps load ( 120/240) L1-L3 load terminals.

My question is: How long do these need to warm up before application of a significant load?

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I let the machines get up to operating temp, before I ask anything of them. I don't know if there is an established time.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The -10 TM suggests letting the set warm up for 5 minutes.

From the TM...

Under normal conditions warm up the engine without load for five minutes.
(If required, load can be applied immediately.)

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There you go. Unless I find myself in a hellish storm where I just need to get back up ASAP... I can give it 10-15 min to cruise.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies gents!

I normally do warm my sets up before applying a load but was curious as to performance while cold......now I know...it bogs.:-(

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were to design the ideal warmup sequence it would look like this:

From start to coolant temp = ~100 degrees - No load
From 100 degrees to full operating temp + 5 minutes - 25% load

Adding a little load once all the fluids are circulating and starting to come up to temp helps diesels generate extra heat and bring it up to temp faster. I don't like to have a machine like this in an operational condition that can allow moisture to hang around if it can be avoided.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were to design the ideal warmup sequence it would look like this:

From start to coolant temp = ~100 degrees - No load
From 100 degrees to full operating temp + 5 minutes - 25% load

Adding a little load once all the fluids are circulating and starting to come up to temp helps diesels generate extra heat and bring it up to temp faster. I don't like to have a machine like this in an operational condition that can allow moisture to hang around if it can be avoided.
Thanks....that sounds very reasonable and I will adopt that as my new procedure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks