• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Algae in Generator Fuel

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how, but in buttoning up my 802 yesterday for the incoming storm, I refilled the unit with new fuel... only to see the bottom of the mesh strainer covered in algae goop. I overtreat my fuel (like double all manufacturer dose recommendations), so I am not entirely sure how it grew... but not happy all the same. It ran just fine a week ago, so looks like I might be burning this tank through and doing some cleaning.

If you haven't looked in your machines lately, might as well do so now.

FloridaAKM

I ran into that mess inside the fuel tank of my Deuce back in October. A good dosing of the Algaecide Power something or the other cleared it right up. Mine was so bad that the screen in the strainer going into the tank would block fuel from going into the tank. To fill the tank, I had to remove the strainer & clean it later by mechanical means as the algae stuck to the screen like epoxy glue.

Good luck with your fuel tank cleaning & algae removal.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tank was less than half. Put a double dose of power service cold weather in it, plus a few ounces of biokleen and PRI-D, into 2.5 gal yesterday to top the tank off (when I discovered this). Will run the tank down, change the fuel filter out, and wipe the tank best I can (not the smallest of arms).

csheath

Every problem I've had was present in the equipment before I bought it. Seems every tractor I buy either has rust or algae in the tank.

I have installed a clear small engine filter between the tank and pump on ALL my diesels.

So far I've had pretty good luck using the prescribed amount of biocide.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use biocide's in all the trucks. The problem with a couple of the fuel tanks was the Asphaltene or black taffy that gathers in the bottom of the tank. They do make a product that is supposed to break it up but it can run through the system / injector pump and injectors.
Best not to let that taffy ever start is what I am finding out.http://oilfieldwiki.com/wiki/Asphaltenes

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fleetguard/Cummins makes an Asphaltene conditioner for Diesel fuel. I use it in the Unimogs which recirculate the fuel past the hot engine and back to the tank (the heat from which precipitates out more asphaltene).

fa35jsf

I had the same issue. I’ll tell you it’s a pain to clean up. In order to do it right, you might consider pulling the fuel tank, which is no small task.

The fuel strainer is best cleaned by using a propane torch to burn the gunk off and then hitting it with a small wire brush to remove the ash.

I cleaned my fuel tank by removing the tank which will provide a little more room to work with. Then I took a metal paint scraper and went to work on the inside of the tank. Takes time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csheath

A wet vac with some bent pieces of pvc pipe and get into the tanks and get a fair amount out. When I did the John Deere I bought at auction last year I could get to most of it with a straight tube.

Chainbreaker

I ran into that mess inside the fuel tank of my Deuce back in October. Mine was so bad that the screen in the strainer going into the tank would block fuel from going into the tank.
I ran into the same issue on the strainer in one of my MEP-002a's fuel tank. Transferred some fuel into the tank and it filled the strainer tube full but absolutely nothing came out the bottom into the tank. The stuff that plugged the brass filter screen completely shut was grayish in color, almost looked like thick gray paint. I put the metal strainer tube in a plastic tub and filled the bottom up with Acetone to cover the screen. The acetone quickly dissolved whatever it was that coated the screen...not exactly sure if it was due to paraffin gum deposits, asphaltene or algae. So far its not come back but its only been ~8 months ago.

It sure seems that today's ULSD Biodiesel laden Diesel fuel is more prone to go bad versus Grandpa's diesel of yesteryear. I remember when diesel seemed good for several years if stored properly even when left untreated.

Bmxenbrett

Light how did you store the fuel prior to putting it in the generator?

I have read that algee grows in presence of moisture. It can be as small as condensation forming on the inside of a half filled fuel jug..or a half filled generator fuel tank.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel was stored in lined metal drums, with a double dose of PRI-D, biokleen, and PS Anti Gel. Literal double dose for what both quantities of fuel would take. Just emptied two of the drums in the last week, and they were still fine. I think it was just the extra humid summer we had, doing it to the fuel just in the machine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks