• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce wont start.

fletcher

So I just got this m35a2. I got it running bit now it dies and wont start. Seems to be a fuel issue. I have fuel pressure and plenty of fuel getting to the injection pump, but nothing coming out of it. I pulled the hydraulic head and inspected it, seems to be fine. The clip and button are in place, the bowtie key is there and in good shape. I put it back on, pulled the top plug and I can feel the plunger moving up and down and the hydride head is getting plenty of fuel to it, but still hardly anything coming out of the injector holes. Is there anything I could be missing here? Any more ideas?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How bout checking the delivery valve on the side if the head in the pic to start with if you did not already. After removing the cap there should be a spring and the valve.
If the valve does not want to come out easy you might try with the in tank pump running and give it some help to come loose. The valve has what looks like a flat blade screw driver slot that you can use to give it a twist and hope it pops out.

Attachments

Last edited:

fletcher

You know what. I have not tried that.
I'll do that next.
I did pull the bolt but not the whole valve out. I know its getting some fuel in the hydraulic head because with the plug out of the top and cranking the engine it will run fuel out of the top, but it might not be enough.

dmetalmiki

How bout checking the delivery valve on the side if the head in the pic to start with if you did not already. After removing the cap there should be a spring and the valve.
If the valve does not want to come out easy you might try with the in tank pump running and give it some help to come loose. The valve has what looks like a flat blade screw driver slot that you can use to give it a twist and hope it pops out.
What would one look for when the valve is out?, And what exact dysfunction might one see to correct a no start condition, But runs great when fired up on starter fluid.?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The delivery valve just gets gummed up and will not hold the pressure to be delivered because it is staying open. It opens and closed between every delivery stroke to each injector. Only thing is checking spring is ok and valve and the port are cleaned out. We had one member the spring was rusted and broke. He found something like it at a hardware store and said it worked. I do not know how well it worked but it is a preset opening pressure because of the spring but if I remember to was a wide spread on the PSI.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would one look for when the valve is out?, And what exact dysfunction might one see to correct a no start condition, But runs great when fired up on starter fluid.?
As you might have seen me and my "friend" banter at this all the time. We through out ( guess) the most common problems but it is so hard to fix a problem without hands on and checking what we think could be the problem. Truthfully the Troubleshooting the 465 manual is the faster and my .02 the way we work a problem out without guessing. Even the manual says it might be faster to do this than jump around.

Last edited:

rustystud

Ok.
I pulled that bolt out where the delivery valve is, and a spring fell out. Is that normal?
There is a "valve" behind that spring. Try and get it out. Be careful ! It is "Lap" fitted to this bore, so if you loose the valve you will need to replace the Hydraulic Head.

So James we're "friends" now ? ;) Good to know.

fletcher

There is a "valve" behind that spring. Try and get it out. Be careful ! It is "Lap" fitted to this bore, so if you loose the valve you will need to replace the Hydraulic Head.

So James we're "friends" now ? ;) Good to know.
Ok.
Pulled it out, it was a bit sticky. Cleaned every thing up and put it back together, still no start.
Really running out of options.
:(

rustystud

OK, there is another valve on the side of the Hydraulic Head. This is the "Over-Flow Valve" assembly. Take it apart and clean it real good. If you still have a no start, then you need to go back and recheck all your pressures from the fuel tank to the injection pump. Somewhere there is a low fuel pressure problem.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
99% of the time if we know some fuel pressure to the head is flowing, delivery valve is working and fuel control unit assembly is working free it will be the timing button.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks