• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question with date code

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have researched this until I am droning in info and need someone to through me a line.
I have a 6.5TD late model, 506, double diamond, 1/2" oil ports to the cooler, still has the drainage pipe for the valley, and a date code on the block of 06-08-S
Is this June 8th 2011?
in my research they skip (I) because it resembled a one, and MAY have skipped (O) because it resembled a zero, So K should be 2003 moving forward S would be 2011 OR 2010 if they skipped 0.
Can one of you guys help me out?
I would also like to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge freely shared on this site.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you have a 2006 engine. Mine starts with 02 and the truck is a 2002.

Edit: I remembered wrong. Mine has a trailing J and THAT means 2002.
You have a 2011 looks like.

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, unless all the researchers are wrong, then Id say its 2010. My date code is (12 05 M), and that dates pressumably to Dec, 5th, 2005. And guessing since my m998 was at MMA in 2006 makes it likely it got a 2005 motor tossed in it at the time. Just my 2cents,,

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read somewhere...No P, or Q so that would make a S : 09

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found several references like the one listed below, the problem is all the references stop at M=2005. So if M=2005 and so on as listed below then S would = 2011 providing GEP did not skip (0) as they did (I).

Not that it matters, Iam just curious. We should also bear in mind that the date only refers to the date the block was cast and not necessarily the date the engine was first built.

So anybody know what letters if any GEP skipped on the date code ?

In 2001 AMG/GEP took over the 6.5 totally

The new blocks are cast by Navistar and the Julian date code is different than the one used by GM
Month Day year
Here is the new Format 00 00 Letter

06 10 J this is June 10th 2002

H= 2001
I not used due to its closeness with 1
J=2002
K=2003
L=2004
m=2005 and so on

These numbers are on the RH rear of the block behind the head deck area.

This is the new date coding system for any engines made by GEP

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks