• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802/803 glow plugs

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone keep a spare set of plugs in their backup stock of parts? Its one of those things that rarely fail... but is often overlooked.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

I don't know if the 802/803's are vulnerable to potential "glow plug tip expansion" over time due to normal usage. The MEP-002a/-003a GP tips can potentially swell enough preventing them from exiting the threaded hole they are screwed into as well as rusting so badly in place they strip threads or break off trying to remove them after its too late. Several MEP-002a/-003a owners have reported that as being a sporadic problem on older units and they recommend they be replaced every few years and using copper anti-seize compound on them. So I now think of it as preventative maintenance every couple of years to remove & inspect them and reuse if good, or replace with new, and install with copper anti-seize compound.

After being made aware of this inspection tip, it just so happens I found a great "Rock Auto" deal on GP's for $5 each and stocked up on a few. Had to source & buy the copper washers separately though.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I never saw a glow plug on a 802 or 803 go bad. Biggest problem was the wires on top of the plug being loose. The wires overheated and toasted the wire ends.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks