• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII vehicles salvage yard

tractor

There is suppose to be a guy in San Luis Obispo county CA not saying where that has 70 jeeps also. He bought the 2 bases out that where near by. I don't know if it is true but I live about 30 minutes from the barn that they are suppose to be in but haven't checked the story out

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whoever took the pics, It'd be nice if they could keep going. If we can't get the vehicles, a photo is fine. That kind of stuff makes for great calendars.

Those are great shots!

NB1944

Jeepman

The guy with the 70 Jeeps is self-employed, has a large, successful business and makes great money, and is a widower (he doesn't have to explain what he does with this $$ to anyone). He also purchased a car dealership that went out of business in a small town outside of the metro area - that where he keeps his 'fleet.' He also has someone who does restoration work for him. It's a nice set up, if you can afford it!! I recomend it to any serious MV collector! We have a few other 'colorful' types like this in our club. A real interesting group - I encourage you guys to reach out and try to get to know them. They're fun!!

NB1944

Tractor - check it out. No sense wasting time if it ain't true! If it is true, try to get to know the guy and take some pics.

Fleetman - One other thing about our Jeep collector - he has certain allergies that limit what he can eat. He has to be careful with most foods and even preservatives can be a problem. He can't eat in a restuarant, so he never dates. All he does is collect Jeeps! In spite of his great collection, he has yet to bring a vehicle to any of our events. We all drove to an event in his home town, but then he got upset that we didn't want to go back b/c it was too far to drive (400 mi RT). He has a great collection (hot rods too), but I wouldn't want to trade places with the guy.

JeepMan

NB1944 said:
Jeepman

The guy with the 70 Jeeps is self-employed, has a large, successful business and makes great money, and is a widower (he doesn't have to explain what he does with this $$ to anyone). He also purchased a car dealership that went out of business in a small town outside of the metro area - that where he keeps his 'fleet.' He also has someone who does restoration work for him. It's a nice set up, if you can afford it!! I recomend it to any serious MV collector! We have a few other 'colorful' types like this in our club. A real interesting group - I encourage you guys to reach out and try to get to know them. They're fun!!
What is your club??!! (MVPA??) How do we join!!!!

JeepMan

NB1944 said:
Tractor - check it out. No sense wasting time if it ain't true! If it is true, try to get to know the guy and take some pics.

Fleetman - One other thing about our Jeep collector - he has certain allergies that limit what he can eat. He has to be careful with most foods and even preservatives can be a problem. He can't eat in a restuarant, so he never dates. All he does is collect Jeeps! In spite of his great collection, he has yet to bring a vehicle to any of our events. We all drove to an event in his home town, but then he got upset that we didn't want to go back b/c it was too far to drive (400 mi RT). He has a great collection (hot rods too), but I wouldn't want to trade places with the guy.
How many jeeps is it worth to this gentleman if I can cure his food allergies with the voodoo that I do :?: :?: :!: :!: :!:

NB1944

Jeepman

Our club is the MVCC (see www.mvcconline.org). We are right here in CO. Our group started as the MVCC and then in 1976, we established the National organization that first called itself IMVCC and then later the MVPA. (Few people know this) We ran the MVPA right here in Colorado until the decision was made to move to MO in 1992 (the politics behind this decision produced a tremendous amount of bad blood and almost wiped us out). It has taken years to rebuild our club, but we add new guys every month and we have a variety of events to keep up morale! We have more than 100 vehicles in the club. We hosted or participated in 24 events last year. We also make efforts to coop or coordinate with other MV, living hostory, and re-enactor groups. We also work with several Vet's groups in our area. Check out our website and view sample newsletters. Anyone can join. Feel free to pass along any comments.

ETBaals

Hi NB1944
I little correction on the the club history.
the original MVCC was fromed in NJ in 1976 By Dennis Spense, Ollie Kenam. Bob Campbell and Ernie Baals, memders 101,102,103.104 repectivly.
the club dod not incoperpate in Co. till the late 1980s when Jim Herrick was trying to steal the club..
When it was incorperated in Co, it was named the IMVCC, and during the final move to Mo the name was changed to the current MVPA

The original club, by the way was the NMVCA (National Military Vehicle Collectors Ass) formed in the 1960s in California, by a Frank Bricker, He is the true father of the hobbie, Followed by Dennis Spence, Not only did Dennis creat the MVCC, he started the 1st 2 chapters, North jersey and South Jersey, and them when the Jim Herrick fiasco started Dennis started Military Vehicle Magizine.

Ernie Baals

NB1944

ETBaals said:
Hi NB1944
the original MVCC was fromed in NJ in 1976 By Dennis Spense, Ollie Kenam. Bob Campbell and Ernie Baals, memders 101,102,103.104 repectivly.
the club dod not incoperpate in Co. till the late 1980s when Jim Herrick was trying to steal the club..
When it was incorperated in Co, it was named the IMVCC, and during the final move to Mo the name was changed to the current MVPA

The original club, by the way was the NMVCA (National Military Vehicle Collectors butt) formed in the 1960s in California, by a Frank Bricker, He is the true father of the hobbie, Followed by Dennis Spence, Not only did Dennis creat the MVCC, he started the 1st 2 chapters, North jersey and South Jersey, and them when the Jim Herrick fiasco started Dennis started Military Vehicle Magizine.

Ernie Baals
ET

I have no doubt that what you say is true; however, we have guys in our club that also have MVPA #s that begin with 1xx and so on. I am a little fuzzy on the early history of our club, but I certainly know some of the original members. I began re-enacting in the mid-80s, and knew quite a few of the MVCC guys. Our re-enacting group was very professional and we all got along. We were asked to attend events all over the country! I never met Jim Herrick, but I know Mike & Sondra McCoy and many others. I don't know what Jim may have done or what others may have done to him, but I do know that is was a bad time and that certain people attacked others in a manner that was personal. The bickering was nasty and caused many good members to quit and abandon the hobby. I have seen this in other organizatons before. And for what, bragging rights? Was it worth it?

I was at the national convention that was held in Denver in 1989 and that is when I began looking for a Jeep. I joined a bit later and by that time our club was a mess. It has taken a while to rebuild interest/membership and attract new people. We have a great group and a really diverse collection of MVs. I have tried to meet others with an interest in my hobby. I do not know that guys you mentioned, but I have met several Red Ball members at the WWII weekend. They were great! They welcomed us and treated us well. I hope one day we can return the favor.

NB1944

NB1944 said:
ETBaals said:
Hi NB1944

The original club, by the way was the NMVCA (National Military Vehicle Collectors butt) formed in the 1960s in California, by a Frank Bricker, He is the true father of the hobbie, Followed by Dennis Spence, Not only did Dennis creat the MVCC, he started the 1st 2 chapters, North jersey and South Jersey, and them when the Jim Herrick fiasco started Dennis started Military Vehicle Magizine.

Ernie Baals
ET

I have no doubt that what you say is true; however, we have guys in our club that also have MVPA #s that begin with 1xx and so on. I am a little fuzzy on the early history of our club, but I certainly know some of the original members. I began re-enacting in the mid-80s, and knew quite a few of the MVCC guys. Our re-enacting group was very professional and we all got along. We were asked to attend events all over the country! I never met Jim Herrick, but I know Mike & Sondra McCoy and many others. I donErnie

One other thing... while it is true that our organization incoporated as the MVCC in the 1980s, it was known as the Rocky Mountain Military Vehicle Historical Society before that. I don't know what it was called in 1976, but we were a club. I know this because I have the douments for prove it (these documents and photos were the only items I ever received that belonged to the club.) When I took over as President, I received ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the prior President. I don't know what my predecessors did, but there are scant notes to doucment what they did. In fact, I have only recently received the By-Laws and I have been asking for them for almost 10 years! We have several members who have been in the hobby for years and are well-known to others in the MVPA; we also have many new faces who know nothing of the 'history' and in many respects represent the future of our club. We have been asked to host the national convention and I think this would be a great opportunity to mend fences and put our best face forward.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
NB,
You need to find me a WW2 Jeep 1941-early 45 that runs and drives , my dads coming out to visit and I want a nice suprise for him. He has always wanted to drive one, I want to make it happen next month , Jay

50cal

yards in europe

hi these yards are just dreams now i have spent a few years looking for places like that and theres none to be found if you were lucky enough to find anything these people know what there worth plus a bit more but we shall keep looking ! thanks mark aua

RE: yards in europe

Man, that's alot of crap just going to waste. There's a junkyard 30 minutes from me I scrapped 2 deuce frames at, and they had about 10-15 ww2 vehicles in un-restorable condition. I'll take pics next time I go out there.

Wolf.Dose

I have been there in 1980 and the vehicles were by that time in much better condition. The next town is called Saint Marcellin, about 1 hour away from Grenoble to the west towards Lyon direction /Rhone river. These vehicles are for sale. They also have a big stock of parts. All these vehicles are surplus from the French Army.

JBizal

Yard

I have been to this yard. It is in France. The man who owns it and I were negotiating buying the vehicles and the parts he has. Unfortunately, he wanted to much $$ for it all. Euro kicking our butts did not help either. I have talked with him in the last 4 months and he scrapped all the of ambulances and most of the CCKW's. Scrap prices being so high, he made out well.
John

joeM62

it would be nice to restore all those vehicles and save a piece of history. i'd like to meet the with the 70 jeeps and the guy up north with the jeeps in crates wonder if he still has any of them left, it still be interesting because the crate jeeps didn't have any miles on them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks