• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire changing

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a trip up the hill to JDToumanian's house to do some tire changing. It was a first for the both of us. I got a chance to borrow a hadraulic bead breaker from the Brothers and Jon got a hammer and lock ring bars. Got there at 1010 and left at 1500 ish. We broke down 13 wheels/tires and assembled 11, as in tubes and flaps in the new tires. The tires were beautiful! Some of them were tough to work with 'cause the beads were touching from being stacked. I left Jon with the airing up part 'cause that was the easiest thing we encountered and it was gettin' real cold and windy. We had mass amounts of wind rain and snow on the way home! It was alot easier than we both thought and went very smooth. FYI, Wd40 on the beads over night works wonders. The 2 others we did that didn't get a soaking were a biatch to get off...either that, or we were getting weak from swinging the hammer! Why is it that the lock ring side is a mother to remove, but the wheel side bead breaks with 1 or hits of a duckbill hammer?

Attachments

emr

NICE!!!Way to go with safty job one, that is good for us all...Love that bead breaker too..NDT's are just ......................SOOOOO........... COOOOL...........!!!............I love em...I have em on my 900 because its an 82 and that is what it came with.....Randy

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll leave that for Jon. We talked about it and the things needed to make it what he wants, He needs to make a trip to Fontana to see what he can find. The prior owner cut rectangle holes in the frame in front of the radiator...where the winch extentions go, so he need to find a truck being dismantled to get parts needed to fix what he wants to fix. A little teaser, it doesn't have the normal powerplant that would be in that truck.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics Will...thanks.

Man, those tires look great. I'm gonna have to start searching for that hydrolic bead breaker!

JDToumanian

Hey Guys,
Cool pics! I knew Will's daughter was taking some, but I didn't realize there were that many...

Breaking down those tires was a lot of work, but fun and very rewarding... Educational, too. Huge thanks to Will - I'd never have had the guts to try that by myself. Also, I think it would have been nearly impossible without that bead breaker. Neat tool, I'd like to find one.

Kenny - that yellow tractor is my 1953 Diamond T M52 with 6-71N Detroit Diesel. It's an old Memphis Equipment rebuild and has their unique window frame and hood, but as Will mentioned, it's a long term project. It runs good, and the drive train is good, but the frame is pretty bad. I'd like to get another M52 that has a good frame and combine parts. It's 4th out for restoration though... behind my M105, my V-18A/MTQ and my mule.

Today, rather than finish the tires, I reassembled the troop seats after rebuilding them with N.O.S. wood pieces that I painstakingly sanded down, primed and painted... Even though they were new parts the CARC was peeling so I took them down to clean wood.

Tomorrow, I'll be continuing with tires and also my wheel cylinder / seal / bearing job. Sometime between mid week and the weekend, I should be back on the road! I'll get some new pics, too.

Regards,
Jon

Mark2X2

No Cage and chains.

The safety chains are a good idea when you don't have a cage. We were taught to turn them upside down when inflating, I like this alot better.
Cage, chains, or no chains what ever you are doing. The SAFEST way to put air in a tire, is to use a locking air chuck, a long hose and an air regulator. Put the tire outside where it won't hurt anything or kill anybody. Lock the chuck on the stem, use a regulator set to desired pressure, plug hose in walk away. If it blows it blows no one gets hurt, might wreck your hose, but you won't be maimed. Works when tire is in cage to, but I don't want to be in the shop if a tire blows in the cage either.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you gotta put the air to it and while it's airing up you gotta smack the safety ring a few times to make sure it seats right.
NAY. As long as the ring and seat area are clean and the ring isn't all bent up, the ring will seat itself when you put it on. Stay away from that bad boy when you inflate it and leave the valve out of the stem. As long as the ring is clean, the tire will go onto the ring nice and easy. After you get 20 or so PSI in it, stop inflating it and let it deflate to check the bead to see if it seats. If all is good, put the valve back in it and inflate it to the PSI you like. Done without care, IT WILL HURT/KILL YOU! Hitting the ring while inflating is asking for death!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks