• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GAA Grease

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Old thread that should be kept alive.
They got new stuff now.
It is biodegradable GAA.................

It is almost comical that all the machines were built to assist wasting everything as needed, and now the replacement GAA will be biodegradable.
All the ground bound machines (except a few points in an Abrams tank) are to be greased with GAA. One should use GAA but nobody want to use GAA because it ain't at NAPA and the clientele wants to use some thing "better".

Every LO for the truck says to use GAA.
then again, What does the LO PM for a LMTV denote to use?
It will be interesting to see the LO PM on the new banks engined JLTV
3 million dollar truck.

Thread: GAA Grease

Thread just about 10 years old, still important. The questions and answers.
What is GAA, exactly? Where is it made, where it it sold, what is newest military specifications?

It is MIL-PRF-10924H
[FONT=&]for the NEW GAA goto here[/FONT]
[FONT=&]http://qclubricants.com/sl320.htm[/FONT]
[FONT=&]here is where to get it now
[/FONT][FONT=&]http://qpldocs.dla.mil/search/parts.aspx?qpl=2502[/FONT]
and attached is dataView attachment 560495View attachment 560496View attachment 560497

Last edited:

beetleswamp

I kept reading this thread looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. Nope. Just more tunnel. I'm going with the Mobil 1 Red suggestion for now.

INFvet

Has anyone gone to the www.sprucemtsurplus.com/ lately? I checked it out and was going to place an order for GAA but the "secure checkout" looks like it might be a little dated for me to trust. I tried calling the phone number listed for the business but it just rings. Are they still operating and has anyone done business with them recently?

NormB

I kept reading this thread looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. Nope. Just more tunnel. I'm going with the Mobil 1 Red suggestion for now.

That looked like a possibility, but I read a boat load of reviews talking about separation/dripping.

I’d already bought a couple tubes of Valvoline Crimson on the recommendations of several of the “elders” here, hit all the zerk fittings on the truck, hung up the gun and several weeks later noticed about an ounce of oil on the floor by the shelf where my pump sits. That’s a LOT of oil. Can’t imagine what the stuff looks like inside the tube in the gun or the unused one sitting on the shelf.

Considering some [FONT=&quot]Lucas Oil 10301 Heavy Duty Grease (NGLI #2) in the hopes what’s IN the tube STAYS in the tube until I want it to go somewhere else - and not on the floor. Shear stable polyurea, whatever that is, is supposed to be compatible with lithium grease but I haven’t pulled the trigger on the order yet.
[/FONT]

Meanwhile, some may find this an interesting read over dinner:

http://chemsol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/MIL-PRF-10924.pdf

rustystud

That looked like a possibility, but I read a boat load of reviews talking about separation/dripping.

I’d already bought a couple tubes of Valvoline Crimson on the recommendations of several of the “elders” here, hit all the zerk fittings on the truck, hung up the gun and several weeks later noticed about an ounce of oil on the floor by the shelf where my pump sits. That’s a LOT of oil. Can’t imagine what the stuff looks like inside the tube in the gun or the unused one sitting on the shelf.

Considering some Lucas Oil 10301 Heavy Duty Grease (NGLI #2) in the hopes what’s IN the tube STAYS in the tube until I want it to go somewhere else - and not on the floor. Shear stable polyurea, whatever that is, is supposed to be compatible with lithium grease but I haven’t pulled the trigger on the order yet.

Meanwhile, some may find this an interesting read over dinner:

http://chemsol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/MIL-PRF-10924.pdf
Almost all "NGLI #2" greases will pass the Military Standards for Grease.

77 AMG

So, GAI and WTR are right then? Hope not, as we have alot of it at work.... and I need to do bearings and seals, once the weather warms back up....

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So said Herr Eichmann, look where THAT got him.
I followed my orders is the US Third Army and here at home many years later I used MIL-PRF-10924
This grease is unique and available, just not at wallyworld or NAPA.

The latest is MIL-PRF-10924H
Santa is coming, get yourself a case of cartridges of the latest biodegradable MIL-PRF-10924H
here
https://qclubricants.com/sl320.htm
QC Lubricants
CAGE CODE 9Y364
7360 Milnor St • Philadelphia, PA 19136
(215) 333-4187 Direct Line

Toll Free With Extension: (800) 887-2436
For Technical Assistance: Dial Extension 203 for Stan Jakubowski
For Sales Assistance: Dial Extension 211 for Lu Ann Quinn or 224 for Lindsay Romero

In Canada
http://sentinelcanada.com/tds/mil-prf-10924h.pdf
MIL-PRF-10924H (2) (SL-10924)
Grease, Automotive and Artillery, Weapon Lubricant

It is NATO G-403
MIL-PRF-10924_9150-01-197-7693_410425 G-403.jpg

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are calling it a biodegradable weapons lubricant. Your truck but there are plenty of EP greases at NAPA that will work just fine in my book. There is no place on the truck that you can't put enough grease to change out what is in the greaseable area / fitting. I like the red sticky EP in the U joints on the drive line and most of the time I just use it every where else because it is loaded in the gun. The thing about a fitting that needs grease, it needs to be greased once and awhile if used that's all. I remove any excess so as not to attract dirt.

Last edited:

77 AMG

It looks like the RED WTR grease, MIL-G-81322D is a compatible grease for our trucks after all. Calcium based, like the other stuff. Cool. Time to talk to the Boss about a "mass purchase"...

Dreamcatcher

Seems I've answered my own question - Did a Google search on 'MIL-G-10924' and determined it was Lithium based and basically a generic NLGI-2 grease. Which fits with what MVTrucker said about 'blue' grease. WWW.lubeandtune.com.au/html/lubekey.htm has a chart "Key To Lubricants which addresses some of this which also points MIL-L-2105 gear lube to GL-4 and MIL-L-2105B/C/D/E to GL-5 ! Seems to me like everyone say use GL-1 only. Who's right?
I

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everybody is just plain overthinking this. GAA is a very good grease, formulated a long time ago to cover many applications in military vehicles.

GAA looks, feels, and acts like a good long-fiber lite brown grease. One characteristic is a bit of gear oil contamination won't ruin it.

LO's call for it, as the military provides it for everything that moves and GI mechanics don't have to go out and buy it.

More important than nit-picking the formulation of it is making sure there is enough grease in all the bearings that need it.

(This harkens back to the reality of running JP-8 in Diesels; It's CALLED FOR). lol.

Every US oil company makes a comparable product that is usable in most MV bearing applications.

As long as you don't use a Moly-based grease anywhere but bearings next to disc brakes you'll be OK.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks