• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Howard's trip.

Desert Rat

With company supplied by rdixiemiller, we made a trip to Howard's, got fleas and ticks (again), blodied our fingers (again) and had a blast! We got a bunch of parts for everyone requesting except for a few gama gaot parts due to light fading away. Much fun was had by all in attendance. Here's a pic. of rdixiemiller pulling up in the drive and an after pic of the purchases made. I'll be PMing those on my list. Due to the fact someone sandbagging as a visitor, buying ALL the aluminum troopseats and most of the headboards I will not be posting any more pics I take at Howard's. I'll be happy to send pics. to members ONLY and at their e-mail addresses. I take pics while I'm there to help Steelsoldiers registered members with their trucks and other projects. Someone came just before Howard had his stroke this week (our prayers for a full and speedy recovery for Howard go out to him and his family) and purchased ALL the aluminum troop seats and most of the headache racks. There was no real reason to do this except for greed. There were several hundred troop seats on several pallets and now they're all gone. My most sincere apologies to everyone who wanted a set. I'm not happy at all with this result. I'm making my own list of what Howard has there and will be happy to assist MEMBERS ONLY. If you are a guest and wish for my help then sign up for the forum and remember to share with everyone else. I do! I visit Howard's to help people here and not take advantage of them and their trust. However, someone has done it to me and I'm just trying to help protect the vested interests of the Steelsoldiers family. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like exhaust system central! Bummer on the troop seats. Who knows, might even have been a member. Could they tell us who or a general location of the persons buying everything? I guess this just proves the "nice guys finish last" saying.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A big lesson to be learned here gang. I often forget that folks don't have to be a member to read the entire forum. I was reminded about this when a friend from OH who isn't into MVs quoted me on something I posted on here. Nothing bad but he knows I frequent the site and reads up to see what I'm up to. I know we've got a ton of different categories here but I wonder if it would be worth having one for members only. Don't even know if thats possible. Who knows. Remember gang "Loose Lips Sink Ships"

Elwenil

That has always been a problem with these forums. It's too public and there is no easy way to make them private. If you make a members only section, they will just register and read the stuff anyway. On our gaming clan's forums we have a "member's only" forum to discuss our tactics in upcoming matches in out mil sim, first person shooter games and other sensitive issues. Still our info gets out and every week we have several more "members" who have signed up and never post anything, they just hang around doing what we call "ghosting". The only way I could see a true private forum is if we would take members who are in good standing and that contribute to the forum and Email them a special password to a private forum. As new members join up and start contributing, then you could give them the password through Email. Naturally it would have to be changed every so often. This could alienate certain members though and be another turn off for new members, but security always has it's price. i could be shooting myself in the foot with this though, since I don't contribute much more than my opinions here, lol...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a good point. I guess as long as we are aware of that privacy thing and keep the sensitive stuff in the PMs we should be just fine.

Desert Rat

The only frustration I have with the PMs is the inability to send pics.. Other than that I agree. It's very disheartening to experience this. I wish people would be on the up-and-up. All it takes is an experience like this to make a great idea go sour. Greed is NEVER a good thing.

Wyattearp

I read the posts above and well that is disheartning, sounds like their was a vulture lurking around waiting for a kill. I know i have pm'd Desert Rat about an item in general here a day or so ago, I think the Pm's are the best way to keep these items of interest amongst members only.
I may not have been able to get anything done on the duece, due to other responsibilities but when the time comes i know i have the advice and help of this member family.

IM sure you will see those troop seats on Ebay possibly. :shakehead:

Desert Rat

Ok everyone,
From now on I will let everybody know when I'm planning a trip to Howard's. If you want me to look for something specific and/or want pics. of stuff PM me with your e-mail so I can send your info. to you. If you want me to get something you need to send a money order. I'm not a bank. I'm not rich either. I'll be happy to help so long as you pay your way. Remember, most of the time I'm paying the fuel to go down and back because while I'm there I'm shopping for myself and others too. This is why I do not charge for fuel. If I do not have cash in hand when I go I can't afford to buy the parts. Please understand I'm not being cheap, just stuck being poor. The more we help each other the more I can get done for you at Howard's. Thanks!

I'm planning a trip for next weekend to meet Chris and friends at Howard's. Train leaves at 0600 sharp. If I do not have requests and/or cash by close of business by Friday evening y'all will have to wait about two weeks or so for the next opportunity.

jasonjc

If they come up on ebay that wouldn't be tooo bad but what are the chanches they are cut up and at the scarp pile all ready.
I going after a parts truck next wheek for a 4X4 shop that take the axles then takes the rest to the crusher.He told me that the truck I'm getting or the last (crushed) had the fule fire heater kit. I hope its in mine. I'll let MEMBER know what part i have left over it a few wheeks.

off topic but does any one what any mrimet cans I'm going monday to pick up some at FT Reily. Any one need any thing look at????? let me know
Jason

Desert Rat

Jas,
What are mrimet cans? Pm me with a list from your trucks. I may have parts needs you can meet.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being public is the beauty of the thing. It's a two-way street, I'm sure I get as much back (information wise) as I give out. Although, some questions remain unanswered, like the clearance light business. :)

Keep it public. Remember that you have to know what you are looking for in order to find it.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
It's the greed issue that burns me up. There was no need to take several hundred almost new aluminum troop seats all at once. What would it have hurt just to leave a dozen or so to allow other people to share? Heck the guy could have left a pallet and still had more than enough for himself. That's what I'm getting at. Last night I bought a bunch of parts from Howard. Could I have bought all of one kind? Sure. However, I intentionally left what I didn't want or need so someone else can come in there and get the same parts off of other trucks because they might need these parts too. That's what I'm getting at. I have no problem sharing information with other people. However, when some greedy ba$tard intentionally whordes all of one thing that he knows SS members are getting ready to purchase, that's flat out inexcusibly WRONG!!!!!! Sharing is a beautiful thing, I wholeheartedly agree, so long as everyone gets a chance.

I know it's the schoolteacher in me talking. But daggone it! What happened to being a little considerate to others?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't feel bad, Brent, I'm sure that you have helped Howard a lot by displaying all those images.
I'm equally sure that hunting for parts is 90% of the enjoyment in this hobby. So, what if we have to go out and look again for some troop seats, that's just more fun, right?
Actually, I think it's a good thing that the parts are hard to find since most of us probably don't have the money to spend on them anyway.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
Thanks for uplifing my spirits. Yep, the fun part (and good exercise, hey this hobby is good for your cardiovascular system too!!!) is in the hunting. Maybe it's because this week I've seen too much of the corporate mentality. I miss being in my classroom and the kids. Man, summer break can be a stone drag! I NEVER thought I'd ever say that in my lifetime. I'm getting old.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks