• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those in the drive-it-out club

poppop

The first thing I do with any new to me vehicle is make several hard stops before getting on the road. If anything is about to go maybe it would show up. Once on the road I watch everything around me to avoid an emergency stop until I know the vehicle better. Still does not rule out the crazy's though that you can not anticipate.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I tend to think that the basic PMCS is good enough for the drive home. I had a brakeline pinhole like that on my Suburban but it was right after a panic stop due to a dude pulling out in front of me without looking. It is one of those things we need to be prepared for and thus is why I drive defensively. Right lane and below redline. I think you have a great point Lloyd the panic stops do put the vehicle to the test beyond normal ops. My feeling on it is I do not drive anything without a safe way out of my circumstance so I slow down to open the space between vehicles and just relax. When I used to ride with my Grandfather I never remember feeling the the turns he always drove so slowly. I am not that slow but when in the MV I do take my time.

poppop

Armyman, are you back over there?? If so i hope you had a good time home with your family and a great EASTER season. I read of your travels with your truck and it sounds like a great adventure. GOD Bless and once again THANK YOU for your service to this great Country and keeping people like me FREE to do the things we want to do.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lloyd:
I got back late Monday night Korean time. Hit the ground running and it is finally Friday, the biggest problem is getting back to the time zone and stop waking up at 0200 wide eyed and bushy tailed. Thanks for your kind comments. I am looking for a colonel job so I can get the eagles pinned on. It is possible that I will be reassigned off of the Korean pennisula for this but it may just be as simple as a move to Seoul. I know it may mean a third trip to Iraq or a second to Afghanistan but that is the price of being available for any job the Army needs me to do.

Hopefully everyone that is recovering vehicles this spring and summer have safe and photogenic trips that we can all share in here on the site.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Outstanding post Bruce and good advice.

I think the MV hobby (especially the 6x6 community) tends to forget (or perhaps disregard?) the age of the vehicles. My Deuce is 41 years old......that's a lot of miles and years.

When I was 16, I had a '68 383 Road Runner and when I brought it home, I was bleeding the brakes with my Dad in preparation to drive it. As he pumped up the system, I started to open up the bleeder on the passenger front wheel cylinder. Right at that moment, the hose (dry rotted) burst, nailing me in the face with brake fluid (thank goodness Dad taught me to always wear safety glasses).

That was a valuable lesson.

We all love to spend money on the glamorous stuff, like M66 gun rings, winches, etc., but you gotta spend the money where no one can see it, like brake and safety systems.

Thanks for the reminder :beer:

Rebelpride

Brakes

GL wouldnt let me service my deuce on the lot so when I pulled it onto the empty lot to
check it before I drove it home that was the first thing that I did was stand on the brakes
and I saw it lock'em down. But I also made sure that I kept a safe distance and drove slow till
I got used to the truck as it was also the first big truck that I had driven in my life. I remember when I pulled up to the stoplight exiting Lejune it all hit me as to the damage that could be done if I did something wrong in this truck, for a moment I thought "what am I thinking buying something this big". But I made it home no problem.

Somemedic

RE: Brakes

I was side swiped in my Blazer last year when some doofus blew a red light. It literally puta small dent in the front d/s bumper corner of my cucv put pulled the bed off of his s-10. The brush guard is a little bent too...

That cucv was pretty well made in 84 but its size doesnt compare to a 35a2.

I dig driving the tower ladder at work, its a monster. i think whoever was alluding to the fact that deuce ownership has some serious responsibilities is right on the mark.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That link is from the old software. No workie but wait, Mike is working on something for that.

Michael

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=20527

This is a post that I just read and fully enjoyed. I'd encourage everyone to invest the time to read the attached PDF. Bruce, thanks for starting this thread!

Andy
If you want to read this post, go to the notice at the top of the page and go to the old site. Open any post. Replace the number at the end of the address in your browsers web address box at the top of the page with 20527 and hit enter. I use Firefox and it works for me.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I like to think that the most important fixture is the nut holding the steering wheel. We have God given sences that an F22 raptor could only hope to have and we should use them wisely as the former post metioned all the fallout an accident would cause. The smashed fuel line on my otherwise pristeen M109 almost fooled my sons but thank God for cell phone technology and dad staying up long enough here in Korea to walk them through the problem solving. I have to say this site is a critical asset too as look at all the great help we all have recieved.

God bless you all

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys, don't forget about me crashing into that DRMO warehouse when I picked up my first truck.
Old site, post 10181:oops:

I don't drive anything off anymore. It could have been really bad if someone had been on the other side of the wall.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Adam
you should have seen my face when the line on my suburban let go through a pin hole in the rear brake line. Thankfully the double chamber system saved my bacon and kept my grill guard from sending the dude that pulled out to the hospital.

StreetbikeDepot

The DOT 5 (silicone brake fluid) is the culprit to the rusting lines. Since silicone fluid does not obsorb water/moisture out of the system, the moisture will pool up in the low spots of the system, especially the calipers or wheel cylinders, which is bad because the boiling point of water is so low, therefore leading to brake fade under heavy braking. The military uses it because the fluid itself is more stable under extreme temperatures than any other fluid at the time. But now a better alternative is DOT 5.1 is available which is a glycol bases fluid which will absorb moisture thoughout the system and has an extemely high boiling point.

The only way to stop the rusting is get the silicone fluid out, since the brake systems are vented systems, higher humidity areas will tend to suffer from corroded lines more often with silicone fluid.

DOT 5.0 (silicone) is not compatable with DOT 3,4 or 5.1, so a complete system flush is needed to swap. Well worth the time though.

As for the M/C bleeding, its not hard if you start at the M/C and work your way out. Definetlly need two people though to make it easier, although you can bleed the M/C by yourself if you grab the peddle from underneath and then bleed the fitting.

TheBuggyman

Bruce,
Good advice, as usual. When I picked up my 818 I never even thought about the brake lines. Plenty of brake fluid and other lubricants but I never even paid attention to the lines. Attention to detail soldier!

I blew through an intersection once before in my 813 with NO brakes because I didn't take the three minutes to do a visual on the master cylinder. NEVER, EVER AGAIN! And thank God that I am here to say that your parking brake is completely useless in that situation! I can say this because unfortunately, I've been there. All you can do is blow the horn.:cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks