• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SR71 Blackbird

Adamlee

take a picture!!

Dieselsmoke said:
They say the SR71 is retired, but she still flies over my house EVERY day from Beale as it has since I can remember. 11AM KC135 flies over, 1PM SR71 flies over.
Dieselsmoke -can you set up your camera, and take some snaps of those fly bys? Now THAT would be cool to see.

Adamlee

not me!

jimk said:
Might be looking at you?
I live 5kms from the pentagon - work 1km from dulles and udvar-hazy center....I have one SR-71 to look at in person most any day I care to, but I seriously doubt any are doing fly-bys of my local sector airspace....they got that covered with all the OTHER surveillance they ALREADY do on us.... :roll:

I can't count how many times I see the "presidential team" blackhawks & vh-3d's from Marine One/Quantico go by my place on I-395......and LOW & LOUD, thank you!!

m376x6

Maybe not all retired.

I'll have to buy the book. Fascinating story, thank you. We had a situation here a few years ago in which a pilot flying the Warthog went awol with it and flew somewhere into the mountains west of us. He was carrying ordinance and everone was a bit concerned. We got one of those blanketing phone calls fro the sheriff's department warning us that there would be sonic booms in the area. Yes we have a lot of silly little people up here now that would run around in stark shear panic at the thought of some horrifying event like a boom, and then get so mad you'd think they were mental at the thought they had been disturbed and who would so dare do that. Heard the boom twice, I had also believed the plane had been retired then found out that isn't so. On another note, idiot broad across the road actually called the sheriff on me because I had animal hides (elk) in my trash for pickup the next morning. She was out of control because she believed it would atract mountain lions. The similar idiot deputy interogated me for 15 minutes and wanted to know how I was so sure they would take the trash. I explained they had done so for the last 12 years. Yes, it is well past time for nature to take her course and thin the herd.

Regards,
Bryan

55Cameo

I saw one at an air show in DC about 12 years ago and I could not pull myself away for hours. All time favorite plane. Thanks for sharing his story.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yep, AWSOME BIRD. My Dad Fly the SR-71 1967-1970...Before he left for Nam..
We were stationed at Edwards AFB. In CAL. I got to go with him when he went through the routine to fly it..I got a bunch of pictures of him in his space suite, etc..He has a copy of Sled Driver autographed by him and his old crew...(ones still alive) . He has some interesting stories. He gave me the book..
Just a piece of history passing...Hes still alive and living is O.C. Maryland.
Kevin..

moleary

Dieselsmoke said:
They say the SR71 is retired, but she still flies over my house EVERY day from Beale as it has since I can remember. 11AM KC135 flies over, 1PM SR71 flies over.
That's awesome! Good to know we are maintaining the equipment that gave us a superior edge!

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: SR-71

As I am a fan of the SR-71, too, I thught I would add a few other pics that I like. Some are of one of the training planes, others the standard SR-71. Enjoy...

Attachments

m35a2kevin

gentalmen,
i may have to recant my last statemant, i know for a fact, i read an artcle from the washington post online, that the had a blackbird
on permant display at lanley, va/CIA. but darn if i can find any proof.

kcimb

Does NASA still use the blackbird? Pics look recent.

I loved the sr71..I had a model of it when I was a kid. I'd love to get to see one takeoff and fly someday.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Don't know if they still use it, but as you can see, those pics were all dated in the 1990's. The night-time afterburner test was dated 1998. That's one of my favorites. That's a strong airframe and strong cables! :shock:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dieselsmoke said:
It could be a "figment" of your imagination. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks