• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SR71 Blackbird

Blacksmoke

Thanks for the story & thanks to all of you that serve & have served. Got to see a few Blackbirds at air shows & it has always been one of my favorites.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always loved the Blackbird, that story makes it seem more like a person than a plane. Just goes to prove that when it counts America can still engineer the best.

jwaller

Don't know if they still use it, but as you can see, those pics were all dated in the 1990's. The night-time afterburner test was dated 1998. That's one of my favorites. That's a strong airframe and strong cables! :shock:

to the best of my knowledge the last 2 SR-71's were retired by NASA in 1999.

The museum in Richmond, Va has one on display. they also have the power cart used to star the engines on the ground. FYI It's 2 chevy 454's tied end to end and a 90deg drive shaft that goes up into the aircraft.

B3.3T

gentalmen,
i may have to recant my last statemant, i know for a fact, i read an artcle from the washington post online, that the had a blackbird
on permant display at lanley, va/CIA. but darn if i can find any proof.
It is an A-12 on display at headquarters and it is certainly still there, as of last month.

B3.3T

I might add, some of you are confusing the SR-71 Blackbird with the A-12 Oxcart. Of course similar, but indeed different planes with different missions and characteristics as well as history. Much of the A-12 program remains classified.

Piper Cub

Major Shul's book is well worth the price! If you see him when he's selling them at an airshow, there's a pretty big discount (atleast there was when I bought my signed copy). At Plant 42 in Palmdale there's an outdoor museum that has TWO SR71's and an F117 (among many others) parked looking out at the road. Here's a picture I found online:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks