• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 registration/tags in VA

IronPig

What sort of registration/tags are other VA residents running?

I finally got my title and tags for one of my Deuces yesterday. The actual trip to DMV was a bit comical, the woman behind the counter informed me that I had mistakenly filled the Empty Weight box with the Gross Weight. I looked, 13,500, and said, "No, that's right."

She checks her screen again and asks, "Do you know how much that is?"

I reply, "I think so."

She says, "That's as much as 5 cars. Is it as big as five cars?"

I think for a moment, resist with all my might the temptation to say "more like 6, ma'am" and instead reply, "Oh, I don't think it's that big!" (I can see where this is headed)

She says, "We have F350 duallys that don't weigh that much. Is it as big as an F350 dually?"

I reply, "It's a little bigger."

She says,"did you get that number from the door tag?"

Not wanting to show my hand I say, "the internet..."

She then tells me that I probably need to purchase truck tags for it and will not be able to get antique tags. I tell her that it's not used for trucking, just a collector car. She wants to know the GVWR and I tell her I'm not sure. I asked her to put it in and see if it goes through anyway, and to both of our suprise it does. Not wanting to risk any troubles I grab my tags and go.

Once I got home I noticed that two things were wrong with my registration: the county is Stafford, where I live, rather than Cumberland which is where my Deuce lives; second the GVWR is 28,000. Which is not only high but also, according to the the TM, I think wrong. (i think this originated when I asked if it was necessary to have a GVWR and mentioned that my F350 has a *GCVWR* of 29,500 printed on the registration but my F250 does not)

My concern is not so much that the GVWR is incorrect but that Stafford (an uptight DC suburb) will choke on an antique with that rating and complain to DMV and revoke my tags.

Should I be concerned enough to contact DMV and correct the rating? (will setting the GVWR to 18,720 help or will they choke nonetheless and thus bring unwanted scrutiny?) I don't mind dealing with Stafford v. Cumberland issue when the tax man comes knocking.

Advice? What are others in VA running?

PS - sorry, no pics of dmv personnel, left the wide angle lens at home!

m35a2kevin

they screwed up my title to,
i moved 2 years ago from va, i lived in centreville,fairfax county,not only did they screw the wieght up,
it wasnt until, a month later, i noticed they only put down 2 axils instead of three.i was running antique
tags, it would be a nightmare for me to get regular tags for my duece, to many additional lights and to many little leaks
kevin

TacticalTruck

I wouldn't worry about it. There is no weight limit on antique tags in Virginia and if you ever go to get regular tags you can register for whatever GVW you want to pay for. Also, on the property tax issue, there are no property taxs collected on antique vehicles in Virginia. Some countys charge you a $25 sticker fee for the initial registration even tho many countys no longer use the window stickers.
Jeff

HeadWizard

I've registered several in the last year or so and took whatever they gave me as far as details. Antique tags on each of them. The DMV drones have NO CLUE what to do with a vehicle such as a Deuce. Act like you know exactly what you're doing and that you've done this before. Try to get as little info as possible on the document, such as EW only. The last one I registered says: Make: Kaiser Jeep, Model: M35, Body type: Truck, EW: 10,000. nothing else. (The 10,000 lbs is because it's a Bobbed Deuce).

On a related issue, I had conversation with an official at DMV headquarters regarding GL's policies on selling vehicles in VA. It is required that they provide buyers with titles. It is also a violation that they are charging 5% sales tax as the vehicle sales tax is 3%. DMV has opened an investigation and I will monitor the situation as the official is family.

m35a2kevin

ive never used gl for any purchases,but my question,isnt gl goverment run?
can a state dmv really do anything against GL. sure you can complain till you turn blue,, but can anything really be done?
kevin

HeadWizard

No GL is not Gov run. DMV controls vehicle transactions in VA and as such has jurisdiction. I was told possible fines, penalties and other legal measures. They are also violating VA tax laws and statutes. We'll see.

My first trip to the dmv had me leaving with Private Truck tags because I didn't get the antique tag form noterized. A trip back one week later and with the proper paper work, I got a refund and my antique plates. Weight wasn't the issue I had, it was the VIN number because it was too short they had a freak out and kept asking me if it was right. After a long talk about the way the trucks are numbered, their age etc. they finally bit and gave me what I wanted.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have antique tags on my deuce in VA. No problems, although if I want to use the truck to haul my trash to the dump, I'll have to pay the fee for the county sticker. Otherwise, I won't need that either.

Norseland

For me it's funny this should come up, recently buying my Duece I went to the Secretary of State here and when I was registering it she ask's me, this an antique vehicle? Yep!
Is it a truck for work? I said no, it's an old cargo truck I'm using as an atinque
So she proceeds to "white out" the 13,000 pd weight I wrote, I said " Oh did I write it oin the wrong place?"

She goes no but if they see that weight they will think it's a work truck, I have no idea what she wrote!
So I guess I'll see what the srcewed up when the title comes. DMV? or just Eff'ed up Illinois?

john

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks