• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For Louisiana M/V owners

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much thanks to golden Eagle for helping me get the new procedure. Any questions, feel free to PM or email me kendelrio@hotmail.com

Here is the procedure:

1. Get the bill of sale and title or S.F. 97 in order. MAKE SURE the paperwork trail leads back to a title or the government.

2. Insure the vehicle.

3. Take the vehicle to your local State Police office and have a statement of physical inspection done. **NOTE** Make sure the VIN they get matches your paperwork. If they get it off the frame, and the title has the number off the data plate, they won't match and the DMV won't accept it.

4. Mask and stencil your vehicle according to the branch of the Military you want your vehicle to look like. I chose USMC. When you stencil, make sure you use the letter "Q" before the first 7 digits of your vin. For instance, my VIN is 032521414, my door number is Q0325214. Use yellow or white paint 2" or larger.

5. Mail copies of your insurance card, pictures of the vehicle with the stenciling (make sure they are clear), and a check or money order for $45.00 for the plate fee, $26.50 for the title and any sales tax due to :

Office of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Jimmy McCullough
Room 103
P O Box 64886
Baton Rouge, La, 70896
(I used registered mail so I would know when it was received).

Shortly thereafter you should get your new registration in the mail. Personally, I carry all my paperwork (insurance, registration AND a copy of the law) in a water/air proof box. (Note my registration is permanent.)

Here is a copy of the law:

UDATED.... got better info as the law I stated was outdated...
§490.16. Military honor license plates or authorized identification for World War II, Korean War, and other military vehicles

A. The secretary shall establish and issue military honor license plates for motorized and nonmotorized World War II or Korean War military vehicles, including motorcycles and trailers. These license plates shall be used in lieu of the regular motor vehicle registration license plates and shall be issued for the life of the vehicle. Such plates may be issued as antique personalized prestige plates authorized by R.S. 47:463.8, and such plates shall be in lieu of the regular motor vehicle registration license plates and shall be issued for life.

B. The secretary shall establish and issue military honor license plates for other motorized and nonmotorized military vehicles, including motorcycles and trailers, which can be classified as vehicles of historic or special interest as defined in R.S. 32:442(4) and which are owned by collectors as defined in R.S. 32:442(1); for the purposes of this Section, said definitions shall be deemed to include trailers. These license plates shall be used in lieu of the regular motor vehicle registration license plates and shall be issued for the life of the vehicle.

C. In lieu of the license plates provided in Subsections A and B of this Section, the secretary shall authorize the use of the military vehicle identification number stenciled on the vehicle in white or yellow letters and numbers in accordance with military regulations.

D. The fee for issuing the license plates or authorized identification provided for in this Section shall be a one-time fee of twenty-five dollars for each plate, which shall be in addition to the regular motor vehicle registration license fee for the military personalized plates. The fee for transferring such plate or authorized identification to a subsequent owner of the vehicle shall be three dollars.

E. The secretary shall provide rules and regulations for the implementation of the provisions of this Section.

Acts 2005, No. 365, §1, eff. June 30, 2005.

Here is the URL:
http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss_doc/lss_house/RS%5C47%5CCopy%20of%20RS%2047%20490.16%20(rev%200).html

Attachments

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, apparently the law has changed... once again. I am going to get in touch with the DMV HQ 3-9-09 to get an updated copy of the statute....

EZFEED

Thanks Kendelrio!

I am waiting for step #3 at the moment. My state police friend is on vacation and will be doing mine. Been talking to Mr. McCullough with it as a matter of fact too!:p

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kendelrio,

Has anyone tried to register a trailer in LA? Same process?

Last edited:

jimm1009

LA title / registration

It is the same process. If it is not registered yet, it will need a police check to verify the VIN or serial number.
If it is registered it will still need a police check.
The reason for this is because if you are trying to register it using the bumper number method which is the military VIN stenciled on the bumper, you must have the police check to verify that it is there.
You will also need color pictures of the front and back showing the numbers stenciled as required.
I have been doing this since 1995 so I am familiar with it.
The department supervisor in BTR for the special registrations is Jo Ann.
I don't want to include more details here but if you e-mail me, I can provide her contact information. The man listed above in this thread is one of her people and is very nice to work with too but I have always dealt with Jo Ann and had extremely good service with her.
If you are doing the stenciled number style registration you must do the following; take the color pictures, obtain the police check and make a copy for your records, make a copy of the registration that you have now if applicable, and send it all in with a letter requesting the registration be processed I.A.W. RS47:463.16c now superseded by RS47:490.16.
It is very important to include the superseded number because they still do not have the newer one in their books at the OMV (office of motor vehicles) but will use the new one when you quote it.
If your trailer or vehicle is 25 years old or older you are also eligible for a permanent registration (25 & you are now an antique) which will never expire but you must request it.
NOTE: If it is not yet registered, do this first.
Get the police check, take it and all the other paperwork to the local OMV and do a title-only processing. One this is done, make a copy of the registration form which shows the money paid to date and the police check and e-mail them in to BTR with a cover e-mail letter requesting the above as applicable to you.
They will inform you of the total additional cost, you cut them a check, and mail everything in to their special address and you will have the registration back in about 10 days.
Jim e-mail; jimm1009@yahoo.com
:-D
1954 M105A2
1972 M105A2
1984 M1009
1972 M35A2C
1951 M38 (All with permanent LA registrations as listed above)

goldneagle

It is the same process. If it is not registered yet, it will need a police check to verify the VIN or serial number.
If it is registered it will still need a police check.
The reason for this is because if you are trying to register it using the bumper number method which is the military VIN stenciled on the bumper, you must have the police check to verify that it is there.
You will also need color pictures of the front and back showing the numbers stenciled as required.
I have been doing this since 1995 so I am familiar with it.
The department supervisor in BTR for the special registrations is Jo Ann.
I don't want to include more details here but if you e-mail me, I can provide her contact information. The man listed above in this thread is one of her people and is very nice to work with too but I have always dealt with Jo Ann and had extremely good service with her.
If you are doing the stenciled number style registration you must do the following; take the color pictures, obtain the police check and make a copy for your records, make a copy of the registration that you have now if applicable, and send it all in with a letter requesting the registration be processed I.A.W. RS47:463.16c now superseded by RS47:490.16.
It is very important to include the superseded number because they still do not have the newer one in their books at the OMV (office of motor vehicles) but will use the new one when you quote it.
If your trailer or vehicle is 25 years old or older you are also eligible for a permanent registration (25 & you are now an antique) which will never expire but you must request it.
NOTE: If it is not yet registered, do this first.
Get the police check, take it and all the other paperwork to the local OMV and do a title-only processing. One this is done, make a copy of the registration form which shows the money paid to date and the police check and e-mail them in to BTR with a cover e-mail letter requesting the above as applicable to you.
They will inform you of the total additional cost, you cut them a check, and mail everything in to their special address and you will have the registration back in about 10 days.
Jim e-mail; jimm1009@yahoo.com
:-D
1954 M105A2
1972 M105A2
1984 M1009
1972 M35A2C
1951 M38 (All with permanent LA registrations as listed above)
I just went through the process this week. I called Jimmy McCullough and got the latest procedure. His number is: (225) 925-6371 Prestige Plate Unit

You do not have to register or title the MV locally! It can be done by him in Baton Rouge. If you call him with your information you can receive the details on how much you need to pay for the TAGS, TITLE and SALES TAX if applicable.

You will need to take your MV to a local State Police Station and have them do a AFFIDAVIT OF PHYSICAL INSPECTION to verify the VIN or SERIAL NUMBER with your SF-97 paperwork.

Once you have the document in hand, make a copy of all your paperwork to keep in case the papers get lost in the mail.

You will need to send a copy of your PROOF OF INSURANCE, the SF-97 form and BILL OF SALE documents you received from GL, the AFFIDAVIT OF PHYSICAL INSPECTION, and a picture showing your vehicle with the WHITE OR YELLOW stenciled Q+7 VIN number on side of hood or door.

Also include a check or money order with the documents for the total given you by Jimmy McCullough made out to : OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES

Send the complete set of Documents to:

Office of Motor Vehicles
c/o Jimmy McCullough
Room 103
PO Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896

Put "Personal & Confidential" on the package.

I sent mine in a USPS Flat Rate Envelope with Signature Confirmation
:grd: :driver:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was debating whether to get the SF-97 for the 2 M101 trailers I just bought, but I guess I need that to document transfer from the gov't to GL.

It looks like the titling costs will be about $100 for a trailer that GL invoiced me for $175.

goldneagle

Well it looks like my posted instructions work. I got my permanent registration documents today! All i have to do is carry them in the truck in case I am stopped by the police. :-D
[thumbzup]:driver::driver::driver:

jimm1009

LA Registration

I would also keep a copy of the recently superseded and the new-current law with you too.

I have been pulled over and the cop thought I was B.S.ing them until I showed them on paper.
They walked away shaking thier heads.

Jim

I know this is an old thread, however I wanted to comment that I learned recently that the SF97 law was updated as of June of last year.
There had been some trouble in recent years prior to 2018 (?) with folks getting titles yanked for Humvee purchases. I own a Unimog 404 and have had folks stop by and ask me how I got a title, kind of looks like a big jeep right?

I was talking to kind fellow BSA event who runs the Baton Rouge section of Boy Scouts, he's a member of this site apparently, informed me he worked to update the SF97 statute, had to go in front of some government folks to inform them about similarities of MV's and road trucks.

Here is the link to the updated law: http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1...a3520038317614518625667f00589f1c?OpenDocument

jimm1009

I know this is an old thread, however I wanted to comment that I learned recently that the SF97 law was updated as of June of last year.
There had been some trouble in recent years prior to 2018 (?) with folks getting titles yanked for Humvee purchases. I own a Unimog 404 and have had folks stop by and ask me how I got a title, kind of looks like a big jeep right?

I was talking to kind fellow BSA event who runs the Baton Rouge section of Boy Scouts, he's a member of this site apparently, informed me he worked to update the SF97 statute, had to go in front of some government folks to inform them about similarities of MV's and road trucks.

Here is the link to the updated law: http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1...a3520038317614518625667f00589f1c?OpenDocument
After 30 years of being there I do not live in LA anymore since 02/2019 but this is a national thing and great information even when not in our favor. Thank you for the link as this really, really helps all of us. Sincerely, jimm1009 (Jim)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks