• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member, New M52A2 Owner Questions

Hkx3

Hello all, hopefully you guys can be of some assistance. I recently traded for a 1992 Multifuel turbo 6x6 M52 5 ton.

Nice truck, everything works, runs great, etc.

I am looking for operational information about the truck. Im completely lost as to the front axle operation. All I know is the middle position on the air switch on the dash disengages the front axle. The out and in positions seem to be the same??

Thanks a lot! IM looking forward to learning about this ol' Girl.

Attachments

rockman

where in KY

Nice looking truck, read the manuals and even get them on CD as they will work out well.

Where in KY are you? any where East TN? We are always looking for folks to to griving with..

Bill

(WOR) working on rank

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you have a truck that was modified in some manner, the M52s do not have an air-operated front axle. Instead, the front axle is engaged by means of a sprag clutch...the rear wheels slip a certain percentage and the front wheels engage. Someone more knowledgeable can probably interject to better describe the inner workings of this type of transfer case.

Hkx3

Thanks for the replies!

Where might I find the (-10) manual?

Im sorry to be such a green horn, but this is all new to me...Ive wanted one of these for years, just finally got the finances to afford extras like this I guess... lol

Thanks!

Hkx3

In response to Bkubu, Im not sure about anything on this unit. It has a 3 position air valve under the bottom edge of the dash, which allows the shifting into/out of engagement of the front axle. Only thing is, I cant tell whats up with the 3rd pos. Seems that forward and aft both result in the axle pulling. One other deal, seems like the front axle has been 'binding' so to speak, as it has been leaving heavy treadmarks on the road while traveling. Im hoping I havent F-d something by running it around in the wrong range or something?

Also, I notice that the range selector lever seems to 'click' or ratchet while moving, when in the high side. Once again, I hope I havent messed anything up. Probably been driven about 10-15 miles with the knob in the front or 'in' position and the range in HIGH.

*hangs head in embarrassment*

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A location more specific than Ky would be helpfull. We have alot of members who wouldn't mind going over some of the basics. I am in Cincinnati and could stop by if you were close.

Hkx3

Adair Co KY, about 1:15 from Elizabethtown.

Im having trouble getting this insured, and I need it put in my name today. Can someone quickly help me with this? I have the title signed and notarized, no liens, just dont know what to do about getting it on the road for me with no CDL's. I dont intend to tow a dang thing, or pack anything. All lights work. I just want to be able to do parades/ whatnot and the occasional trip to work (I live 5 mi. from work.)

Thanks.

Farm tags may be a possibility, as well as some type of Historical vehicle or something.

Help! :O

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HKX3: Please attach pics of this switch as I've never seen that model truck with an air-shift front axle.

steelandcanvas

Hkx3 said:
Adair Co KY, about 1:15 from Elizabethtown.

Im having trouble getting this insured, and I need it put in my name today. Can someone quickly help me with this? I have the title signed and notarized, no liens, just dont know what to do about getting it on the road for me with no CDL's. I dont intend to tow a dang thing, or pack anything. All lights work. I just want to be able to do parades/ whatnot and the occasional trip to work (I live 5 mi. from work.)

Thanks.

Farm tags may be a possibility, as well as some type of Historical vehicle or something.

Help! :O

Alot of the Guys use Gulfway, I use Hagertys for insurance. Do a "search" on insurance, this subject has been covered in depth.

Good Luck! Get Her insured!

John

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have historical vehicle ins. through State Farm. About 120 a year. My trucks are tagged historical too though.

Hkx3

Well Progressive turned this down, just got the word. Auto Owners, denied, ahhhh.

Not looking good. Maybe Ill call state farm in a bit.

Any ideas on me messing up something in the transfer case/range selector by having the front axle in the wrong position or something??

Im worried now about that. Is there any way that the front axle could have gotten into some other range than the back axles?

I feel dumb.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks