• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member, New M52A2 Owner Questions

ida34

My post was to help you out. If you find the right police officer that knows it is not a 92 then you will have to go down the road before you get the truck out of impound. m16ty and I were just trying to help you out. If you want to get collectors insurance or a historical plate you will not be able to with the vehicle being listed as a 92. The truck year is the year the truck was built. A mistake made when the truck was titled does not make it a 92. It was most likely depot rebuilt in 1992. We were trying to help you. Sorry if it was something you did not want to hear. Do what you will. It is your business.

madsam

One last thing on the actual age of the truck to consider. :deadhorse:

My title will say 1981 because GL said it was a 1981. I found out from a different SS member that it is a 1971. I don't plan to change the title as 81 goes for collector anyway, but it is nice to know the age when trying to find parts. Some parts are age specific.

But do what you want with this info..

Hkx3

Nah Im cool with it not being a '92, Im just trying to say, not that what Im trying to say matters either,!, Is that when this ol' girl hits the streets, and everything says 1992, its stayin' that way.

I would put $1000 on ANY police officer Agreeing with me stating that the title, insurance, and Dash plates all match, vS. me arguing that I guessed at the MFG date because a bunch of guys didnt like my title saying 1992 on an internet forum.

For the record, and to stop the poor dead horse from more abuse:
I dont disagree with anyone that this truck probably was originally built before 1992. Im just not interested in doing anything, and I mean anything, to change it.

I do sincerely appreciate everyone's concerns over my bastardized title. Lets just be friends and grab another gear?

Should any of you guys decide you want to buy it from me, Ill let you go about swapping years on the title.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hkx3 said:
Nah Im cool with it not being a '92, Im just trying to say, not that what Im trying to say matters either,!, Is that when this ol' girl hits the streets, and everything says 1992, its stayin' that way.

I would put $1000 on ANY police officer Agreeing with me stating that the title, insurance, and Dash plates all match, vS. me arguing that I guessed at the MFG date because a bunch of guys didnt like my title saying 1992 on an internet forum.

For the record, and to stop the poor dead horse from more abuse:
I dont disagree with anyone that this truck probably was originally built before 1992. Im just not interested in doing anything, and I mean anything, to change it.

I do sincerely appreciate everyone's concerns over my bastardized title. Lets just be friends and grab another gear?

Should any of you guys decide you want to buy it from me, Ill let you go about swapping years on the title.
I don't think me or ida34 are "up in arms" about you year on your title. He does have a point about collectors ins. and historical plates though :D .

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
ida34 said:
One thing not brought up is the fact that there is no way it is a 92. The M39 series is the series that spawned the M52. The M52a2 is the last in the line before the 800 series started replacing them in the early 70's. I am not sure when they stopped making them but it would be safe to say in the 70's. You need to try to find the correct year for your truck before you get insurance or plates.
I understand that the guy that started this thread doesn't care about the accuracy of his title, or the fabbed up data plate - but others reading this thread in the future may want/need additional data.

According to AM General, the bulk of the G-744 (M39, M54A2, M52A2, etc.) production for US use ended in 1969. Production of the replacement M809 series began in 1970 - however, there were a FEW (and emphasis on FEW) of the older-style trucks built after the production of the M809 series was under way. This was in order to fullfill some older contracts, and some were for foreign sales. Therefore, for a while, both styles of truck were leaving the AM General assembly line at the same time. All this transition took place in 1970-71.

The sure way to determine the year of one of any of these trucks is with the VIN, which is stamped in the frame. A second choice would be with the military-assigned registration number, which is stenciled on the inside of the door and on the underside of the hood.

The original poster has decided to live with the erroneous title and data plate, which is his call. I would caution others as an aside, that it is my understanding that it is a felony to alter VIN tags (I am not a LEO, but I think both Chuck and Kenny are) - hence, I'd be leary of driving a vehicle with altered VIN plates. Andit is unlikely the previously mentioned altered plate matches the relatively unalterable frame stamping. Truthfully, everything is likely to be cool with this, unless the vehicle is involved in a wreck (or worse, stolen, and then wrecked), at which point everybody and their uncle starts looking for a way to make someone else pay, or to minimize their payout.

Since at some point in its life this truck was owned by someone who either did know or didn't care about the right way to do things (hence the screwed up title and screwed up axle engagement), I'd suggest going over the truck with the proverbial fine-tooth comb, starting with the brake system. Your life, your family's life, and the lives of fellow motorists are riding on this person's skill - or lack thereof.

Severe tire scrubbing sounds like a sprag issue - (the reverse sprag is selected inside the transfer case, but the truck is moving forward). I've seen sprags burst because of such issues, wrecking the transfer case in the process - and driveshafts come out, taking oil pans with them.

Be VERY careful if you are doing any work on the driveline - I suspect that there is a lot of windup. I'd jack up a front wheel before doing anything, in order to relieve the strain - I suspect it will spin back, so don't be surprised.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Hkx3

Gal Damm!

Im sure glad I poured diesel on it and burned it before I left the house in it. Otherwise I would have met sure doom and destruction!

Im open to offers on this truck, let me know what you want to give.

Until then, Im rockin out with my mis-titled cock out.

You guys, like most internet collectors, are too uptight. Its a big useless chunk of steel, drive it, use it, sell it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks