• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M447C Given New Home

n3sq

The M447C arrived early evening yesterday. I want to thank Underdog Truck Service in NJ for bringing it from NAES Lakehurst.

Looks like it's a veteran, it passed through Ash Shuaybah, Kuwait.
The ship tag is worn, but I've got the following info:

ULN - TVAEC01
WPERCO
C/ 50th MSB
595th Transportation Group
Ash Shuaybah, Kuwait

On the whole the unit is good. The M295A1 chassis is cherry other that a bit of damage at on the front deck. The deck needs to be removed and straightened. Not to big of a deal, the deck is just bolted on and lift it off with the NH TN60A's loader.

The bigger problem is a little ham-handedness on the demil crew trying to get into the trailer without trying to cut the padlock on the doors off. Instead they tried to use a crowbar to go through anything other than a door. So I have the following problems to work on:

(a) Bonnet front door - will basically have to re-skin the door and and the left hand body panel. Why they put the 2"x3" hole in the top of the body panel I have no idea. So lots of drilling of rivets and sheets of the right thickness of AL.

(b) Air Conditioner - It's 208/3PH so it's pretty useless to me, but they took out the condenser coil while they were whacking away at the bonnet door

(c) Rear Doors - I'll have to remove these and re-skin the outsides and straighten the right hand door's stile. I will need replacement latches and latch rods for the right door.
So anyone know if Coleman's has any M447, M447C, M749 or M750 trailers? THe latches and latch rods are small and rather light, to they are a UPS item if anyone knows (or can get me) a set. I've got the P/Ns from the TM.

A pre-Demil problem to repair is the right-hand floor over tandems - looks like the trailer had a tire blowout that nearly put the the shrapnel through the floor. Some damage, but is confined to a 12"x12" gouge in the outer skin. It didn't damage the main floorboards, so this will need the panel removed and a new one fabricated.

Here's some photos, enjoy! More updates as they come.

Alex

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any extra goodies found? I see 2 of the stabilzers, got the other 4? I'm hoping someone comes to get mine before I send it to China in pieces.

n3sq

It's a "Later Model" M447C, so the TM says it only has two stabilizers for the rear.

Still sorting through the trailer, but I did find a nice little monster-sized Weller soldering iron, a number of measuring devices for light oils, a rather large power supply, an old strip chart recorder, a hydraulic test unit, a micro ohmmeter, stroboscope, tachometer, a cabinet of nuts-n-bolts, and a very heavy mystry item which I haven't yet had a chance to pull out from under the cabinets.

Do you have the side doors or just the curtains?

The door is jammed again, so I need to non-destructively open it.

If moving it wasn't so much $$ I'd consider yours for spare parts! But I'd need to move it to PA from WPB, FL.

Alex

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Location kills me here. Mine was supposed to have panels inside but they were gone. Do you have the 2 workbenches and the desk in the front? I see it has the pockets for the other 4 jacks. Mine is a 1976.

n3sq

Yes, I have the desk and the two rows of workbenches like yours.

I also have the same landing gear as yours. The TM says that that is the "late model" landing gear. The independent landing gear are supposed to replace the front two leveling legs, so you just have the two for the rear. It appears that they never used them since the ground stake and leveling leg pins still have the manufacturer's delivery labels on them.

The whole unit is pretty cherry, with only the Demil-related damage as the only noticeable defects.

The date I have on mine is 1993.

I was lucky that appears that the sidewalls and the cargo boxes for the sides were stuck inside, but I have to open the sides before I can pull them out to see if all the sidewall panels are included. I'll be pretty bummed if I'm missing one. Can't open the sides until I get the unit leveled.

Alex

n3sq

A new little friend for the M447C

I was looking for parts for my M447C, but for the same price I was able to secure an M750 that has all the parts I need.

The EUC cleared today and I will make arrangements to move it tomorrow.

So now my M447C isn't lonely, it has a little friend.

I gotta stop collecting trailers.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks