• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 Ton M125 Repaint

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ooooooohhhh....I need a cigarette after seeing that you have TWO M125s! Man, that's a cool truck, although it would require a third mortgage to finance the fuel bill. Glad to see you're bringing them back to life.

Also, great idea to honor the memory of your brother by dedicating the truck resto to him. Very fitting that some big iron gets restored for an iron-worker's memory.

123mack

It's a LeRoi TH844. A gas burner, all 844 inches of it . The same engine is in my 1956 M123. The transmission/transfer is a Mack TRDXT 72, a two stick 10 speed.

houdel

I thought the diesels were only installed in the M123A1C tractors. All the M125s were supposed to have the Le Roi TH 844 gas engines.

Dirt71

Decided to get into removing the cannon hitch assy. There was just to much rust in there and I wouldn't be able to clean and paint very well, so it had to come a part.

Attachments

halftrack

Is the entire length of the frame of a 10 ton "doubled framed" or just the rear. Those are come pretty massive axles. Are 10 tons air brake or hydraulic like the 5 tons and M35s?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the entire length was doubled. Air brakes, but not the newer spring-brake type like the 900's. Lose air and you lose brakes! :shock:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just the rear end of the 10-ton was a double frame, mostly because of the extreme towed loads these trucks were supposed to handle. The artillery piece the M125 was supposed to tow was an 8-inch howitzer, with dual axles and about 15 tons of weight. When you get offroad and you're towing a load like that, you NEED a double frame to prevent the pintle from ripping off the back end of your truck and the gun rolling backwards down the hill.

Great pics, dirt71, you might want to consider using some POR15 on the frame in that area, after you sandblast all that rust out of there. It will prevent any rust forming in the future.

Dirt71

Yes the entire frame is doubled and the brakes are total air.And yes when you run out of air you run out ofBRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops, my bad. I thought by double framed you meant that inner frame box for the pintle assembly. I didn't even notice that there is a C beam inside a C beam, I had to look closely. Wow, that must be a STRONG frame....

Dirt71

I know how I started this post with - taking the 10 ton down a little bit. Well the more I took off the more I wanted to keep going, until I decided, if I had done so much work on a 5 ton bridge truck so should I on a truck like this. So here I am and I'm glad I did, I found some serious brake problems on the rear axle. This truck, believe it or not comes apart easier than a 5 ton, just much much much HEAVIER!!!! Still have to complete the tear down of the frame this week, I hope to have the frame sand blasted and primed next Sunday. My job is sending me to Germany on August 27th and I return on September 13th, so I wanted to at least have the frame done before I leave.

Attachments

Dirt71

I had one brake drum giving me trouble, so I made a drum removal tool and brought in some big muscle to turn the wrench. It took some doing but we got it off. Once again I have to say I'm glad I went this deep into this truck. I don't know what the deal is with this rear axle had some real lubrication issues. It's like the ass end of the truck was sitting in salt water. I'm glad I only put about 20 miles on it when it first got here. Look's like this storm is going to mess me up on sandblasting this week, so it will have to wait until I get back from Germany.

Attachments

KaiserM109

That rusty bearing scares me! I'm going to have to get my '66 M109 indoors this winter and get a look at all mine.

Impressive work! It gives me new resolve to finish one of my "Let's do the whole thing while we're at it" projects.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks