• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What makes a VIC-1

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Mount MT1029 is made to hold a 12 series radio such as the RT-524 which makes an AN/VRC-46 radio set. By adding certain components you change the radio system such as adding additional mounts and radios or adding a listening only receiver set R-442 which makes and AN/VRC-47. Other than the Mount MT-1029, none of this is shown in the photo.
Not to bump an old thread, but Mr. CARNAC, how in the world do you use that Mount with the VIC-1? I happen to have both (mount and VIC-1) but to me, i don't see how the VIC-1 would even make use of it... Or are you just meaning other radios in conjunction with the VIC will use the mount?

Thanks.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Nope, the 1029 is only used with the 12 series radios.

You can 'plug' the mount into the VIC 1.

Run the power cable from the MX7777 to the 1029 and then run a CX4723 cable from the 1029 to the AM1780. That will 'plug' the radio into your system.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply!

I have a CX-13089 (Bendix Connector Assembly I think it's called) that'll go from the 3-pin output on the MX-7777 to the J508 port on the AM-1780 amplifier. But I hadn't thought about using the mount in-case I didn't have (or didn't want to get) a single cable that was long enough.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Usually the length on this cable isn't a concern except for being too long and in the way.

I would think you would want the MX7777 near the mount. That way you can flip one switch and power off everything prior to starting the vehicle and then power everything back on. In a deuce, most mount the radio under the passenger seat or if they have two spring seats, they mount it in between the seats.

JDToumanian

The CX-4723 from Mount MT-1029 must go into the plug in point marked J-801 on the amplifier.
Is this a typo? I haven't looked this up yet, but my AM-1780 amplifier doesn't have a J-801 socket, but my C-2298 remotes do. Did you mean the J-501 port on the amplifier? .....I'll look into this but it's too late for me to stare at manuals tonight.

Jon

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just starting to put a set together and am curious on the Crew Control Boxes. Everything I've located indicates they are C-2296 thru C-2298 (depending on whether it's an outside box, Commander, or Crew Member). The only box I have so far is marked C-10456. Is this for a different set up or later style? It appears to be exactly like a C-2298.

EDIT:

Never mind. The Google Machine got the answer.

A modified C-2298/VRC designed for use with the M1 Abrams Tank. It functions the same as the C-2298/VRC except that it allows remote keying of the intercom or radio through a remote keying jack, normally connected to special keying cables in the M1. This disconnects the normal keying functions of the crew audio accessories and enables special keying controls in the tank. When a dummy plug is connected, the unit functions as a C-2298/VRC.

Last edited:

IroncladGA

Is this a typo? I haven't looked this up yet, but my AM-1780 amplifier doesn't have a J-801 socket, but my C-2298 remotes do. Did you mean the J-501 port on the amplifier? .....I'll look into this but it's too late for me to stare at manuals tonight.

Jon
I am sure you have an answer by now, but it is J501. Hopefully the pic I am about to insert shows up as more than a thumbnail! It is a cabling/interconnect schematic from an old TM.VIC-1 Interconnect to Radios.jpg If it is not big enough to read, feel free to PM me for a pdf copy.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Not sure yet. Most of this stuff is in MD and I'm not sure if I'll have the chance to consolidate it in GA in time. I may still have some in GA but won't know until I get there.

Jeepsinker

That's cool, whatever is convenient for you. Just sounds like you really know your stuff when it comes to the Vic system so I would like to buy the components from you. I am sure however, that you won't be the only one there with these components for sale.

Scott E

Hey I am new here, I know that this is an old thread, I have been looking for info on converting a helmet to general aviation use, I fly an open aircraft and this helmet is very comfortable compared to most. My helmet liner is H-374 (V)2/VRC Bose ear phones and Gentex Mic. It has the seven pin connector,
I am trying to figure out what bailout cable I can use and replace the ends on to convert it to a 2 plug General Aviation set up. I am not sure if it is a VIC1 Vic3 etc.
I did Email Bose and they sent me a pinout diagram for the connector.
Thanks for any help.IMAG0244.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey I am new here, I know that this is an old thread, I have been looking for info on converting a helmet to general aviation use, I fly an open aircraft and this helmet is very comfortable compared to most. My helmet liner is H-374 (V)2/VRC Bose ear phones and Gentex Mic. It has the seven pin connector,
I am trying to figure out what bailout cable I can use and replace the ends on to convert it to a 2 plug General Aviation set up. I am not sure if it is a VIC1 Vic3 etc.
I did Email Bose and they sent me a pinout diagram for the connector.
Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the forum! Maybe you could post a picture of your helmet and connector, maybe even the pin-out from Bose, and someone here familiar with all that stuff might know what it is?

kapkanimd

Can someone explain this? "Been working with the VIC-4 intercom system. This is like the VIC-1, except it controls 4 tranceivers where the VIC-1 controls two tranceivers and one receiver."

I see mention people having six crew boxes with the VIC-1. I know there are different crew boxes for the VIC-1, can someone explain the differences? So for a four man setup, is it that only two of the positions can transmit and the other two just receive? Do you need need two of each type of box or can all four be the same crew box? Thank you in advance.

IroncladGA

To answer Scott's question from November, you need a CX-13479 bailout cable. The H-374 is a vic-3 headset with active noise reduction. The same helmet on the VIC-1 is a MK-1697 (I think and it doesn't have ANR) and the MK-1697 uses a CX-8650 bailout cable with a cannon-type connector instead of the same connector.

To answer kapkanimd question, I no longer have a VIC-4, but I recall from formerly owning one that the VIC-1 crew boxes (C-2298s and C-10456s) were not compatible with the VIC-4 master control station. I believe that you will need to use VIC-4 crew boxes only. I recall having a very hard time finding VIC-4 crew boxes back then. They might be more abundant now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kml9705

I just got a VIC-4 System, there are some VIC-4 crew boxes up on Ebay. It uses all the same cables as the VIC-1 but the VIC-1 crew boxes are not compatible. Now I just need to figure out how to interface some Newer VHF / UHF radios with the VIC-4 Box :?

VIC-4 Crew Box
2.jpg

kapkanimd

Thanks for the responses. I already have a VIC-1 which I wish to use, but was just trying to understand the difference any why it is said that the VIC-1 allows two as compared to the VIC-4, and what are the different crew stations and which ones should I use?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks