• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auxilary fuel tank pump?

pa.rich

I need some help on this. The M51A2 auxilary fuel tank and the drivers side tank. I see the pump and on the other tank, no pump. On the dash is a switch that says rite fuel tank or left fuel tank. also on the dash is a switch that says fuel transfer pump. How does the fuel get pumped from aux. tank across to the drivers side tank. And why two switches? I checked my manuals and do not see anything explaining the system and how it works. I thought that it was a pump in each tank, and one pumped into the other as the first tank got low, when you activated the transfer switch? I am wondering if something is missing?Besides my brain??? I took pictures of the dash switches and each fuel tank. Can someone explain how this works?Looks complicated. :oops:

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, for comparison, my dual tank 757 does not use a transfer pump, but has check valves and a selector valve for returning the return flow to the tank that it's running on. It does have one pump in each tank also and one single "left" or "right" selector. No need to transfer fuel from one tank to another...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My m62 that was converted from a gasser to a multi, has a transfer pump from the small passenger side tank to the larger drivers side tank. It is mounted in between the passenger side tank and the battery box area. Not too hard to follow the lines to it. I have not yet checked to see what the left tank - right tank switch does, but mine is set up like yours too.

ida34

On the 800 series the dash switch for L and R is just selecting which tank is reading on the gauge. Don't know if it has any relevance to your problem but I do see you do have two sending units. Also my 818 has a selector valve on the floor to actually select which tank to draw from. Seems the system in yours draws from one tank only no matter what. You just pump fuel from the aux to the main to use the fuel in the aux. As to where the aux pump is I don't know but the parts manuals do have great exploded diagrams which may help you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks