• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce + Shelter = Camper RV

EDIT: I have revised this thread in order to make it into a summary of the Shelter Camper Conversion I have done.

EDIT 5-17-09: Updated Pics.

I have a 1970 Duece I picked up from GL. I have added a shelter and converted it to a camper. I did this because I like the look of a Duece carrying a load better than the look of an M109. The M109 does have a much bigger space to work with for a camper conversion though.

The shelter is an S341 electrical shelter I also got from GL.

Once I converted the shelter, I changed the registration from historical to Housecar (Motorhome). Housecars less than 40' in length may be driven with a Class "C" license in California. (some may argue this though) I keep the required Vehicle code in my glove box to support this.

I want this camper to keep the military look as much as I can. I will be updating this summary as I make minor modifications over time. In addition, I will be adding additional pictures of the items I have not taken pictures of yet (Watertank, plumbing, electrical, etc.)

There are many good ideas, converstaions, and responses in the following threads, I just wanted to do a summary at the beginning of the thread so it would be easy to follow the results.

Read on and enjoy:

Attachments

Last edited:

Green_gator

RE: Duece + Shelter = Camper RV

Could save some time and buy one of those M109s behind the shelter and you are ready to go. Looks like the unit that owned them already put an a/c unit on the rear. Hmmm, maybe I need two.

M109's seem to have more space to build the interior as an extra 12" in a small space can be a lot.

However, I have a Duece in good condition and dont want to chance mechanical issues in another vehicle. I picked up the shelter for cheap, so in the long run, I feel more comfortable staying with the vehicle I have.

Last edited:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

What is you overall height now? Looks a little tippy (top-heavy). How does it feel (from the driver's seat)?

Green_gator

If you have any more with those 109s in them could you PM them to me? I am thinking about doing an a/c unit to mine and it is nice to see that "Yes the Army did put A/C" is a legit answer for all of the nit pickers in the world. That or a road trip to Cali. Have not been to Fort Irwin in a very long time so who knows.

Havent really driven it other than moving it around the yard, It appears to be shorter than my Fifth Wheel, so I havent been concerned too much yet. It is 68" tall, add that to the deck of the Duece. The picture in the yard is at a pretty good slant, enough to make the axle seals leak over time.

Edit 5-16-09: Drives fine down the road, no tippy feeling. I have had it offroad at Stoddard valley & Pismo Beach, no real off camber but I am amazed at how smooth it rides. Better than my F250 in most cases.

Overall Height is 11'3" which is lower than my fifth wheel.

Last edited:

rmgill

There are some blocks with an attached eyelet that go in the mid point stake pocket and allow you to attach a set of wire ropes and turn buckles to the shelter so it's properly anchored to the bed. That'd work a lot better and be stronger (and more durable) than those nylon straps you have right now.

Michael

It is nice to see a military one with that type of A/C on it, but I have always thought that would not be a good location if you did much off roading with the rig. The one I just bought has a piece of plywood were I think an A/C probably was. It is reinforced like some shelters I have seen.

Attachments

The nylon straps are just temporary while I am moving it around the yard. My plans were to make brackets that bolt into the lifting ring provision in the 4 bottom corners and then thru the Bed.

Thanks for the info, I was not sure how it was designed to be attached. Id like to see some pictures if anyone has any info on this though.

Edit 5-17-09: Bolted to the bed, see pics in later threads.

Last edited:

alphadeltaromeo

It looks like you're doing a great job and with duals on the deuce, it's just fine with the right tie downs. What I noticed was that I had to do a bit of adjusting after driving it a while, as the shelter would shift slightly. I was able to get it fairly tight though. You'll enjoy having that shelter on your deuce. It will be a perfect camping outfit. Please keep the pics coming as progress develops!

Hope this proves helpful to you.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
In progress pictures:

Added some early Pictures:

Attachments

Last edited:

davidkroberts

i like the inside color. are you planning on putting in a bunkbed setup with a propane heater and stove additions. Ive been giving that some thought and was wondering what your thoughts are. My own plans are putting a removable self contained comm shelter on my gama goat that i can slide in and use as a mobile deer camp.

I have noticed that a guy installed a pretty clean diesel generator in the spare tire area. You can google it and find it pretty easily.

Yep, Im lucky...good labor is hard to find.

We used STP for cleaning, then oil primer on everything to seal out any military "Gunk" on the interior.

The paint shown is only a tinted primer I was able to use from another project. I am leaning towards a slightly lighter color for the final coat.

I am leaning towards bunk beds across the front, and additional movable beds so I can put motorcycles, gear, etc. inside for trips. I need to work in some way to seat with seatbelts for traveling with the kids.

I am going to be adding cabinets, stove, water, tank, most likely shower, and either toilet or porta potty, depending on where to add the disposal tanks.

I plan on building in a Propane system that can be used for the camper or the duece when traveling. (Propane Injection)

I have not decided on weather I will be adding the heater or not, Carbon Monoxide scares me a little.

The shelter is VERY insulated, Im not sure there will be a huge problem with cold that could not be overcome by preheating it with a portable heater prior to turning in for the night.

EDIT 5-15-09: Pre-Heating...Yeah Right....A heater would be nice as I have found...for now...extra blankets

Last edited:

Elwenil

Keep in mind that for passengers to ride in a camper they have to have some way to communicate with the driver of the vehicle and they must have at least one exit they can open from the inside.

Ok...Back on the Topic.

Its been slow going with the 103 other projects I have to work on as well.

I got a WOPPING $170 at the recycler for the Alum. Racks I removed from the shelter[thumbzup] ....An unexpected Pleasure!!!

I have been tossing some ideas around for the layout

Here are a few of them, just note, the are not complete and I am still working on other Ideas.

Attachments

Rattlehead

It's hard to tell exactly what is what in your plans. It depends on how many people you are going to sleep in it, and what features you want to add, such as plumbing, sleeping quarters, etc. I like to see posts like this, as it gives me ideas as well. Although I am already set in my floor plan due to the door placement. Sometimes I wish I would have just got a cargo truck and built a shelter/camper to put in back. I can't haul anything with mine!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks