• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Pinz going up a wall...

just saw an awesome demonstration of the mobility of a Pinzgauer.

See
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JOKIeaqtPzY

Brought back some memories, a buddy and I once ferried a Pinzgauer through Austria and half of Germany a few years ago. It was in winter and I thought my feet would fall of because it was bitter cold in the pinzis cab. After a lot of tinkering we got the heating system to work and closed all those holes and the radiator opening, after that it was quite nice.

Cheers,
Mark

Capt.Marion

I know. There's a guy up in Gainesville I've visited who imports and sells these, and UNIMOGS and Gelandewagens (G-Wagens, a civilian Mercedes thats kinda like a SUV but better) http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/ their website ain't great ATM, but one of these days when your up in that neck of the woods you outta stop in...

B3.3T

The older Pinz is air cooled but it has an induction fan and an air intact tunnel. Air leaking from the tunnel into the cab is a big problem in the winter unless corrected. On mine, sealing around the hi-low gear shift opening helped a ton.

devilman96

Any Pinz thats 24 years or newer would have a radiator as they switched them over to diesel... Were one year (or this year) away from being able to import and drive diesels as the Fed regs dont apply after 25 years... It will be intresting to see what comes into the country when they start hitting the market.

superburban

I rode The Hottub at H3ll's Revenge (Moab) in a 712 Pinz this spring. That thing was amazing! The driver stopped the truck on the way down, put it in reverse and backed out just for giggles! Then he went through forward. It's realy a trip to see the bottom of the rock basin comming that close to you, being a cab-over. It's a strange sensation when your feet are meer inches from the ground, when comming to the bottom of a descent!

Attachments

david1092

I have a pinz and a Hmmwv (92 hummer actually). The comments on youtube are wrong. A hummer would not be able to go over the crest without bottomong out.
The pinz 6x6 is a very good truck, better in many ways then the Hmmwv. The only deficiencies are the low horse power which limits its hill climb capability on poor traction surfaces and the high CG with makes traversing a slope scarry. If those 2 items where fixed it would be better than the Hmmwv in all areas except driving comfort. Driving a hmmwv after a pinz is like driving a cadallac. If you have even driven a Hmmwv you will know that it is not a comfortable vehicle either but the pinz is noticably harder. (I have been told that the unimog 404 is even worse than the pinz).

Would I buy another one? Yes. I'd go for the 6x6 as it is much more stable on the road and with the 6 wheels and narrow bottom it goes through 3 ft deep snow with little effort. (in hard snow the Hmmwv floats on top letting the wheels spin).

B3.3T

The Pinz can hang at 45 degrees off camber, more than enough to say they are certainly NOT top heavy. They are not as wide as a HMMWV or a Unimog and can therefore go many more places than each. In fact, U.S. Special Forces and Special Marines are using new ones in Afghanistan over the HMMWV in many special applications. British Special Forces are using them as well as the British Army.

david1092

You guys that think the pinz is perfectly comfortable must be much younger than me. The Pinz is a hard truck to drive every day if you have arthritis (or any injury for that matter) in the wrists. And that flapping canvas roof....

I don;t know about the 45 side slope in a pinz. The hardtop hmmwv starts lifting one wheel at 45 and the pinz is noticably taller (engine and body), sitting over the frame. I would be very reluctant to try a 45 degree hill sideways in either truck.

The Pinz is built far better than the Hmmwv. However, the Hmmwv does have heavier suspension components, including the Potals. Are heavier ones needed, for 1 1/4 ton truck?... probably not.

A bigger engine in the pinz would make it a much better truck. Too bad there is not enough room for a modern engine. Even with the little 4 banger that it has, its gas milage is worse than a V8 Hmmwv.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks