• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil and fuel filter change, filter problems

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the oil and tried to change the fuel filters today on my m35a2c for the first time since comming from the Gov. Oil change went smooth untill I went to change the filters. when I took them off the spring was down inside both filers (some GI didn't know how to change the filers in a deuce :shock: ) so the filters were doing no good with the spring missing. The cotter pin through the bolt was missing also. What is the pin's purpose? I left it out on installation because I didn't have one and couldn't see it did anything.I was useing NAPA oil filter #1133. The filter doesn't come with a gasket for the bolt so I had to reuse my old one. Other than all that I made the oil change work with what I had.

Then to the fuel filters. when I took them off the canisters had so much water, crud, etc. that I don't see how the truck ran at all. So I cleaned everthing up and went to install the new fuel filters. Had two NAPA #3540 for the secondary fuel. The filters work but the gaskets are too thick to fit in the groove ( I fought with it for about 30 min. before I figured this out). Luckly I has some NOS secondary filters so I robbed the gaskets from them.

Then to the primary fuel filter. I had a NAPA #3511 that I'm pretty sure is just plain wrong. It is roughly the same size as the one that came out but the hole through the middle is way too big. With the big hole there's no way to keep the filter centered on the bolt so you can be sure the ends are sealed.

All of these NAPA numbers I have came from other post that I've read on here but all of these had problems, with the #3511 primary fuel being completely wrong or am I missing something? If a #3511 won't work what wiil?

Thanks ahead of time for any insight someone may have on this matter :D .

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I ran into the same problem with the fuel filter gaskets on a cold rainy night in Ark. (ask FreightTrain).
The filters may be cheaper some place elese but unless it is a military filter the gasket will not fit properly. I have got filters from NAPA, Advance and Carquest.
I now order my filters from Teds in Dothan, AL.
I always get the right gaskets with his sets.

kaiser2help

You definately need to check out jtonka's posts in the ss archives. His primary oil filter adapters are the way to go. Convert them to spin ons with the anti drainback in them. You will have oil pressure within 3 seconds of the engine starting. I will try to post pictures of my primary fuel filter conversion. There is also a article in the ss archives as well. That also is a spin on with a drain valve in it. works great. Hope this was helpful.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kaiser was wondering if you made the switch to Jtonka's spin on set up? I like the looks of what he has done but I am concerned about the 11-13 GPM on the 1458 filter. Looks like the 465-2 motor can run 29 GPM and the rest of the 465 flow 22 GPM at the oil pump outlet.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know about jtonka's adapters as well as some others. There are some concerns that people have brought up on different adapters so I haven't made my mind up to drop $199 for a set yet.

deuceman51

I sell brand new Baldwin filters for the deuce with the correct fuel filter gaskets. The set is $30.20 +Shipping. One set has the primary, 2 secondaries, and the 2 oil, along with the correct fuel filter gaskets. PM me if you are interested as I have a few sets left on hand.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the 3511 on the primary today with some help from a freind to hold everything strait. I didn't really like it but it was all I had and I needed to move the duece out of the driveway. I've got a big shop to work in but it was nice yesterday and I figured I'd make a mess in the floor so I did it in the driveway.
I was wondering as I installed the primary why they put it where they did. With all the frame rail between the tank and the front of the truck why did they decide to put in right under generator where you can't hardly get to the bolt on top?

jasonjc

Per the TM you are to take the whole thing off to do the filter. And as for why they put it there, The same idiot put the MC under a cross member. Need I say more. Wait till you have to adjust the parking brake.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got it off with it still on the frame rail but it's a two man job and I didn't replace the gasket on the bolt because you can't get it out. I guess I should have read the TM but the way I did it I'm pretty sure was faster than taking the whole thing off.

dabtl

I finished the filter change routine today on a friend's deuce. I hate the stock oil filters. Both of my deuces have the jatonka spin on adapters. Quicker than the stock to change out. A little more oil comes out with the change, use a paper towel on the base and it virtually eliminates that.

I also changed out the primary and secondary fuel filters. The NAPA 5070 gasket is the only way to go on that.

The primary was missing the filter adapter so the primary just fell to the bottom of the can. I am replacing my last deuce's primary filter with the jatonka spin on primay filter next week and will donate my old primary can to the friend so his primary will function.

All of these primary cans that I have seen have rust in them. Nice thick rust at that. I like the jatonka spin on filter as the entire thing is disposed of, rust and all.:-D

Now, if we could just get jatonka SECONDARY FUEL FILTER SPIN ON ADAPTERS life would be good. Come on John, get us those secondary fuel filter spin on adapters. Please!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The stock system is designed to drain back so with the cold weather kit, the oil would be heated before start up. I feel that a pre-lube system is truly the best mod you can do for longevity. I do not know what the spin on filter's micron rating is, but an oil filter is an oil filter, untill you get into the ultra low micron bypass system.

deuceman51

I have complete filter sets for the M35A2 with all correct gaskets. The set of primary, 2 secondary, and 2 oil is only $32.20. The spin on's are great, but it takes a lot of oil changes to pay for that conversion.

sprucemt

I have complete filter sets for the M35A2 with all correct gaskets. The set of primary, 2 secondary, and 2 oil is only $32.20. The spin on's are great, but it takes a lot of oil changes to pay for that conversion.
It is not the number of oil changes that makes JATonkas oil filter adapters valuable but the 2 to 3 seconds to oil pressure that make the adapters "priceless".

If you are using the correct oil in the system, a pre-lube is optional with JATonkas adapters.

sprucemt

The stock system is designed to drain back so with the cold weather kit, the oil would be heated before start up. I feel that a pre-lube system is truly the best mod you can do for longevity. I do not know what the spin on filter's micron rating is, but an oil filter is an oil filter, untill you get into the ultra low micron bypass system.
16 micron on the spin on, 25 for the original.

Attachments

Mackfire68

I ran into the same problem with the fuel filter gaskets on a cold rainy night in Ark. (ask FreightTrain).
The filters may be cheaper some place elese but unless it is a military filter the gasket will not fit properly. I have got filters from NAPA, Advance and Carquest.
I now order my filters from Teds in Dothan, AL.
I always get the right gaskets with his sets.

I'm ready to change the fuel filter in my duece and after all I've read on the subject I think the best way to go is to use military filters. ( I don't have the money right now for the spin on conversion. )
Can I find the correct military filters localy or do I need to order them from someone and were are the best places to order them? Are there any differances between military filters or are they all made to the same specifications.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks