• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st Time Painter - How do I Thin Gillespie Paint?

1stgear

Hey, there.
I am going to attempt to paint my truck myself and have never thinned paint before. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to thin and what to thin with? Can I buy the thinner at the local Lowe's? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bill W

You THIN lacquer you REDUCE enamel :roll:
Read the back of the can
When I shot my 37 I reduced my Gilliespie with Naptha and I also used Xzylene when I did my deuce, both can be gotten from Homedepot. You don't need to use the expensive automotive paint reducers as Gillespie ( and Arevoe ) are just alkalyd enamels ( aka industrial paint). You can also use Toulene ( nasty) to reduce.Gillespie is a very heavy bodied paint so make sure your gun has a large tip ( 1.8 - 2.2) otherwise you'll really have to reduce it alot to keep from glopping ( high tech term ) up on the tip

Attachments

1stgear

Thanks for the tips and the schooling on "reducing" instead of "thinning." I've painted many a house, but never a vehicle. I'm going to shoot the inside of the bed first so I can get the hang of things.

Thanks again for the help!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heres what I did and it's my only experience. Using gillespie in warm sticky S Fla. Used 3 parts paint to 1 part mineral spirits. I was advised by another restorer that the mineral spirits keep the wet edge wet a little longer in this climate. I had what I call excellent results. Used a $20 cheapo ebay gun with factory settings.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Kenny, was that your old cargo truck you shot in G-383?

Cdub

Re: RE: 1st Time Painter - How do I Thin Gillespie Paint?

Bill W said:
You THIN lacquer you REDUCE enamel :roll:
Read the back of the can
When I shot my 37 I reduced my Gilliespie with Naptha and I also used Xzylene when I did my deuce, both can be gotten from Homedepot. You don't need to use the expensive automotive paint reducers as Gillespie ( and Arevoe ) are just alkalyd enamels ( aka industrial paint). You can also use Toulene ( nasty) to reduce.Gillespie is a very heavy bodied paint so make sure your gun has a large tip ( 1.8 - 2.2) otherwise you'll really have to reduce it alot to keep from glopping ( high tech term ) up on the tip

What was the ratio you used to reduce the Gilliespie with the Xzylene when using a 1.8 - 2.2 tip......??

Thanks,

C'dub

Bill W

RE: Re: RE: 1st Time Painter - How do I Thin Gillespie Paint

C'dub
I was using a Synthetic hardner ( Martin Senour 8870) that really thickened up the mix to where I reduced 2 parts paint to 1 part reducer., If I didn't use the hardner I could have reduced aprox 3 parts paint to 1 part reducer ( as mentioned by Kenny). The xzylene worked/mixed better for me using the syn hardner. I reduce the paint until I can dip my finger in it and have it run off my finger tip in a nice steady flow but leaving a thin enough coat on my finger to where I can see my skin texture ( finger print ) Its a primitive viscosity meter but it has work well for me on the vehicles I've painted using automotive Acrylic enamel, single part carc,gilliespie and Valspar paints

Barrman

You can go as much as 2:1 Gillespie to Xylene. But, you will be walking a fine line between just right and really runny, shiny paint. I got on the wrong side of that line 2 too many times. So, I now use a 3:1 paint to Xylene mixture to stay way clear of that line. Also, it can be shot straight. I did that a few times when I "had" to paint something that night and all the stores were closed in town with me out of Xylene. Looks just the same to me a year or so later.

Cdub

Where is the best place to buy Xylene.......?? Can it only be found at the autobody suppliers or is this an over the counter hardware, home depot type of reducer......??

Thanks,

C'dub

Bill W

Yes Home depot,Lowes: Naptha, xzylene,toulene and even mineral spirits.
I've always been told the less you reduce the better/longer lasting the paint job.

Barrman

I live in a small town and Ace Hardware is the only place in town to get it. I never have bothered to look in the big box stores though.

Cdub

Hey Barrman,

Thanks for the advice on the Gillespie mix ratio. The 3:1 worked very well with the xzylene.

It flowed out real nice like, even at low presure with my old school Binks Model 7. The flash time leaves something to be desired though. Seems like forever even at 70F. Oh well, just a few beers and some somkes between coats I guess fixes that.....

seya,

C'dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks