• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New rule proposal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elwenil

Based on the somewhat constant struggle and minor headbutting about posting information about ongoing or upcoming auctions, and the post about a certain large truck on the board, I propose a new rule. Why not wait until the auction is over before posting all these little tidbits that everyone loves to talk about. If you think it's worth discussing, right click, save the pics and info and post it up after the auction has ended. That way we can all sit and talk about the truck or whatever and no one gets ticked about the increased competition in the auction. I think a rule such as this would be easy to enforce and would remove the grey area about the difference between a rare item worth discussing and something that someone wants to remain as low key about as possible. After all, one could argue that the rarer the item, the more a serious bidder would want it to remain as unknown as possible. This would also prevent any sort of posting that could lead to any idea of collusion in an auction.

Comments?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Nearly everyone on this site knows about GL, and in short order, can figure out whats there.....So the uproar about this or that for sale at GL, GSA etc..... being, "A secret that only I knew about", is pretty silly.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nearly everyone on this site knows about GL, and in short order, can figure out whats there
Exactly! So why post the link?

I think the gray area isn't so gray. Even rare items should be trumped by the first part of the rule. To paraphrase that part: "If it is easily found on well known auction site don't post it."

Personally, I don't post anything for reasons I have stated plenty of times, but then again I'm also friends with Bkubu, so I can usually just tell him about something cool and he'll buy it... :lol:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: New rule proposal...

I imagine the link was posted to begin with by a member who was not familiar with the rules?

If a link gets posted, I would suggest (Mods) deleting the entire thread, then when the person asks why, let him know.

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: New rule proposal...

The post was not deleted because it was deemed rare enough to warrant a discussion, and I agree with that assessment, but someone who was serious about bidding on the item would no doubt feel differently. This is the grey area I was talking about. It means different things to different people.

M1075

Re: RE: New rule proposal...

FMJ said:
Nearly everyone on this site knows about GL, and in short order, can figure out whats there.....So the uproar about this or that for sale at GL, GSA etc..... being, "A secret that only I knew about", is pretty silly.
I think this is all pretty silly. Both sides. Let's get back to wrenching.

lstmate

I for one...

I for one am really tired of watching people get jumped on for posting links to auctions. I say let he who has the most money win. Better to post a link to an auction and get another piece of OD saved from a scrapper than to sit quietly by and let a scrapper win it and then start discussing why didn't someone post it so that it could be saved. As much as I like a good steal as the next guy I also understand that today's internet useage by those looking to buy the chances of stealing something is long gone. The $500.00 trucks are gone and will not b e back in the near future. Those kind of auctions are referred to today as "I remeber when" trucks and that is history! A lot of things have changed and the prices of trucks have joined the change so now we either realize that history will not repeat, because everyone accross the nation has the same oportunity to buy something, and get over it or we get to read the whinning about an auction link being posted. Chances are once it hits the GL list before the opening bid anyone that is interested in it has already found it so the bidding war is gonna happen anyway.

After all I think we are all grown people and I think trying to help evryone is what this site was founded for and built for. I personally think the better rule to make is to abolish the no posting rule and get back to having fun in here. Too many rules take the fun away. After all don't you have fun when you bid on a truck? I know I do and I have not won one yet because I am too cheap to pony up the money right now. No one has posted the links for the trucks that I have been bidding on and they still went for more than I had. So this no posting rule is not affecting my purchasing, only my choice of top bid dollar is hurting it.

Maybe a survey to see how many have started bidding becasue they saw a link on here. Let's get some facts and make decissions based on facts not on guessing and I think....

Again I say "LET HE WHO BIDS THE MOST WIN" after all that is what happens anyway.

Ok enough ranting for today... Sorry if I offened someone did not mean too only to throw my 2cents in on the subject.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is already a set of guidelines in place because we have gone through all of this many times before:

1. NO COLLUSION. This means NO posts where we share our GL numbers, posts where we organize bidding for or against each other, or posts where we say what trucks we are bidding on and promise not to bid on each other's trucks. Members involved in collusion will be warned and then banned if the warning is ignored.

2. NO FRIVOLOUS AUCTION POSTING: This means no posting auction links just for the sake of posting. If the item is easily found using a search engine on an auction site, don't post it. SS members are not interested in your every auction whim on a daily basis. If you feel an item is just so unique or exciting that you just have to share, fine, go ahead, but use your common sense. Posting links is OK. Posting a link to your eBay listing is OK. If it looks frivolous, and I know that is very subjective, then it will be deleted or edited by myself or a moderator. Think about why you are posting about item X. Would you still post it if you were bidding on it? If you have someone in mind for it, send them a PM. Don't clog up the forum with a bunch of fluff postings.

3. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: This means if you are really ticked because a SS member posted something that you were going to bid on, bite your tongue. Be nice to each other, but if it is a frivolous auction posting, don't be surprised if it gets some sarcastic remarks from other members. I know this isn't Kindergarten, but meanness won't be tolerated. Most of us put up with enough bull in our daily lives and don't want it here too. Attack posts will be edited or deleted by me or a moderator. Repeat attackers will be warned and may be banned if the behavior is not corrected.

Alredneck

Banned
No offense but this thread is wothless and the folks that want to argue it are not helping any body if you want to bid on a truck bid, if you want to talk about it then lets talk, but all this is B.S.
the least of yalls worries is other members buying that truck, think about all the big coporations out there waiting to get there hands on it and have the cash in hand to do the same. Money talks so if you can keep up with the big boys have fun. Other than that quite wasting forum space with this stupid stuff. Captain aua

Elwenil

I suggest you check your tone there Alredneck. It is a discussion where all opinions are welcome, but insulting posts are not. If you don't like the thread, or the comment posted here, take yourself somewhere else. You don't have to read a thread that bothers you for some reason and if you can't post something civil and constructive, do not post at all.

mangus580

Since we are discussing it, I will state this again. I suggest NO auction link posting. NONE. If you want to ask questions or start a discussion on something, post the pictures here. That way a month or 2 from now, the post is still valid....

Maybe the rule should include not stating where the pictures were found (granted, its usually pretty obvious.) I agree that the argument over "I was gonna bid on that truck" is pretty childish. I just wish I had the $ to save as many trucks as some of the rest of you guys.

Alredneck

Banned
The first words are NO OFFENSE but on the other hand this thread isn't exactly the first time some of us have had to hear about these kinda of things. Its ridiculous. Lets get back to the hobby of it. Lets get back to the sharing of information and helping each other out. By the way I would like to add some of us have met each other and still some of us have not but still ussually we will go to whatever to help the other guy out. Lets get back to that, the meat and potatoes of this operation. But instead you got a lot of folk bickering about some stuff that doesn't even really matter. ( If you look at it open mindedly ). If you don't like what I say then dont listen, delete my post, kick me off. I would rather you didnt but we are all supposed to be able to be grown ups on here and look past certain things. And on this occasion they are not looking past, resulting in non grown up desicion. 2cents Captain

Elwenil

I agree that the argument over who is bidding on what is old. The purpose of this thread was to suggest a rule change that would eliminate this situation once and for all. The grey area of what is or is not rare and what is or is not easy to find can vary from person to person and as such, is open to interpretation of the poster, the members reading the thread and the moderators who police the board. That grey area allows a lot of feet to get in the door and open up the whole can of worms again. My proposal would end it, it's a clear and unmistakable rule that has no way to subvert it that I can think of. If this rule were put into effect, the people bidding on items would be kept happy and would no longer have any reason to be upset over auction postings and it would eliminate bad blood there. It would also allow the people that want to talk about various auctions to do so in a manner that would allow them to post whatever pics or details of the item without fear of upsetting anyone. It would also allow others to comment in the thread that would not otherwise because of not wanting to draw attention to an item. There would be no further need for arguments or discussion about the situation if there were a rock solid rule that has no points that are open to interpretation. If the auction is ongoing, it is not allowed to be posted about. If the auction is over, people can post whatever they want.

Alredneck, I formally apologize to you for my earlier comments. I guess I am a little sensitive to the fact that my motion to change a rule to prevent arguments has met with such resistance that, to me, seems unreasonable. I did not take offense, but I do admit that I took the post as being antagonistic. I agree that we should work together to keep this hobby going, but I don't think that posting about "keeping up with the big boys"and "wasting space" with "stupid stuff" is helping. If my idea were to be tried, it would end a potential cause of bad blood between members and preserve the auction itself. I still see posts in these threads that seem to imply that one person or another is going to purchase and item or intends to bid. Some are obviously jokes, but any form of bidder collusion should be avoided as it is illegal. Again, my idea would eliminate this as well and there would be a lot less reasons for these repeating arguments on the board.

Alredneck

Banned
Elwenil, your just trying to handle your business thats all I completely understand, I have been a member on here for a lil over 2 years now ( had to join twice cause my iraq account got mess up but under the same name, wierd ) and others that have been on here longer know like me this comes up every so often. It seems unsurmountable to argue each and every case when we are supposed to be working as a collective group of somewhat like minded individuals. When we stray from this group it turns into a chaotic environment that others don't like dealing with. My personal rule of thumb is K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple Stupid, and lets just have a good time and share some information. Captain

Elwenil

Believe me, I've been here for at least four years and probabaly 2 or 3 different versions of the site and this problem has only grown. The more people we attract to this site and the hobby, the more we are going to see this sort of thing. Especially from new members who think they have found something special and want to talk about it. My rule proposal is intended to make things better, not worse. Again, I agree we should concentrate on helping each other but since this is an issue that many members disagree on, it will inevitably come up again and again. I think my idea is probabaly the best compromise to help keep the peace, allow members completely avoid a topic of contention between them and let us focus on the various questions and technical issues about the trucks and gear that bring us all together.

JDToumanian

I for one am really tired of watching people get jumped on for posting links to auctions. I say let he who has the most money win.
I agree, and my opinion is that auction links should be allowed to be posted, period. These links provide relevant material for group discussion. If I am bidding on a truck, why shouldn't I be able to post up to get the opinion of others? To restrict me because you don't want to drive up the price IS COLLUSION and is in direct conflict with Rule #1.

Regards,
Jon

TheBuggyman

Well, talk about differences of opinion.........

I think that links should be allowed that call attention to relevant vehicle auctions, not just any 'ole military part or rusting hulk. Why? Well, it would seem to me that more trucks would get saved if more SS members know about it. And speaking of knowing about it -

EVERYONE here knows what is popping up on GL, Ebay and Craigslist so what difference does it make anyway? The days of cheap trucks are over so be prepared to bid high anyway! :wink:

But I do agree to a point on what JDT said - "banning the links to auctions IS collusion." (or something like that..)

It does not bother me either way - ban 'em or let 'em - I know what is on auction regardless.

One last thought, how many of us see an auction link on a truck and think "oooh, I gotta have it!" and the proceed to impulse buy the vehicle and run the price way up? Especially when most of you guys have Jacksons in your wallets that have not seen the light of day for years and are masters at home brewing everything from fuel to one-off parts just to save money! :lol:

lstmate

Well....

Actually I think Mr. Stansbury, The SS owner has already given his imput into this "proposed rule change". I think he has nixed it and stated that there are a set of rules that he is comfortable with, sooooooooooooooooo.... I really think this thread just died in peace..... Based on his input i say......RIP....

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks