• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New transmission, transfercase, brakelite switch vent system

70deuce

Replaced the individual constantly plugging vents on my M818 with a system consisting of 1/4' outside diameter plastic tubing and some 1/4 x 1/8" brass fittings. My individual seemed to be plugged no how many times I cleaned them. The transmission and transfer case seals were both seeping gear oil and I did this on my deuce and the seepage from all the output seals stopped. Also did the axles on the duece and that stopped some pretty good seepage from the spindle/hub seals. When I pulled the transfer case vent after driving the truck air seeped out proving that this vent wasn't working. Anyways, with this system I know all the vents are clear and pressure has a way out. I used a universal fuel filter on the cab end of the system up under the dash. I don't think I'll be driving in 4 foot deep water anytime soon so the open end of the filter is safe. This system seems to have stopped or at least reduced the amount of seepage on my trucks. The parts aren't that expensive either. The last picture is the vent line I attached to the vent hole of the transmission's spraq selector valve. For some reason every 5 ton I have seen has this threaded opening wide open with no fitting. I had a old fuel line from a deuce that had the same threads as this opening and screwed it in there with the end extending below the frame rails. At least now its a semi protected vent hole. Put some air tool oil in the hole first and my air leakdown rate has slowed dramatically. Will add the master cylinder later. Easy to cut and add a t there.

Attachments

rmgill

RE: New transmission, transfercase, brakelite switch vent sy

You should probably include the brake line vent and brake reservoir vent in the same set of tubing with the gear case vents and fuel vent as another set.

70deuce

RE: New transmission, transfercase, brakelite switch vent sy

yeh good point. Keep the gear oil and the brake fluid on their own circuits. Thanks

grizcty

Thanks for posting this.
Good advice.
Now if I could only remember this thread, come spring. (only 5 months away) :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks