• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Not To Do With Your Field Kitchen

steelandcanvas

Went over to see my Buddy Arlyn (KaiserM109) yesterday, he asked me to give him a hand with his Field Kitchen. This is what happens when you have two 200# plus guys on the same end of the trailer without the out-riggers down. Please do not try this at home. :wink: No injuries, and no damage, just bruised egos. Wansn't that nice of Wifey to find a camera in the truck? :oops:

Attachments

davidkroberts

yeah, my wife is the same way whenever i do something stupid she pops up like a ninja to record the moment for history.......lol. Seems like shes been taking alot of photos of me lately for some unknown reason.......hahahahahahahah

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always count on wifey to have a camera handy when you screw up. Remember that in the future. Glad noone got hurt, but you earned this:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
rofl

Anytime I do something stupid, the g/f is always there to ask (with a certain degree of snark) "So do you want a picture of this for the guys?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whay would any one try to set up a MKT without the outriggers? Thats why there is a TM, and proceedures that need to be followed for it's safe operation....

If you take shortcuts like that with the trailer, make sure you have GOOD health insurance when you start messing with the M2 Burner units.. They will do MUCH more than just singe your eyebrows when something goes wrong...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The same precautions should be excercised when setting up the carpenters trailer too, right Lane?

KaiserM109

Yup to all the above. It's not a matter of not knowing better, its a matter of taking precautions seriously. I had been crawling around on it with 3 of the decks down for about an hour before John arrived. It wasn't until both of us went to the rear (aft for you Navy guys) that trouble happened.

I remember that the burners were always stored separately at my Army unit and they are the only things missing on the trailer. There are sets of plastic flat ware, paper napkins, plastic bowls, knives, a rolling pin, pancake batter dispenser, big bowls, big pots, 8 hot boxes (Merlite?), 4 - 5 gal. drink dispensers and even 2 shovels, 2 rakes, 2 brooms and 2 swing blades in it. There was also a set of 8 steel wire shelves that are not standard issue. Those are going in my basement to organize some of my junk.

The canvas is all there, but it is rotten. I will keep the pieces in case I decide to have a tent maker duplicate them, but if there is any source on them, I would appreciate it if anyone can point me at a new set of canvas. I also need burners. The trailer, fully outfitted takes 6.

Backing the story up a week and a half, a friend from work and I took his Ford F250 over to Hill AFB, Utah and picked the trailer up. I knew that the canvas was bad from the GL pic's so we took tarps and warpped it for the trip in blue. Absolutely uneventful, except for the heart attack at the fuel pumps. We dropped the trailer at his house, 25 mi. from the storage yard so that he could have the evening with his wife. I hooked up to it with the Bronco and MAN! That trailer jerked the Bronco all around. It was 25 MPH all the way.

steelandcanvas

emmado22 said:
Whay would any one try to set up a MKT without the outriggers? Thats why there is a TM, and proceedures that need to be followed for it's safe operation....

If you take shortcuts like that with the trailer, make sure you have GOOD health insurance when you start messing with the M2 Burner units.. They will do MUCH more than just singe your eyebrows when something goes wrong...
emmado22, Your advice is well taken, however, lighten up just a little bit! :roll: If I thought it was more dangerous or stupid than what it was, I never would of posted the photo and thread. Again, nothing was damaged, no one was hurt, bruised egos, and, we won't do that again. :oops:

KaiserM109

All I can say is that God must love a fool. I have dodged the consequences a lot of times. Having passed my half-century mark and then some, I have decided that I have pushed my luck as far as I can. I'm going to follow some of the above advice a little closer. I have downloaded the TM on the trailer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Kaiser,

I have two of the new diesel burners if you are interested in buying them.
Got them off GL and they look like they have only been lit off once or twice.
Since my MKT has no stoves in it I don't need them.
PM me if interested.

pa.rich

.I am the proud owner of a pencil with an eraser on both ends.Whenever something like that happens to me, and the wife says"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I reply: Oh, calm down , I meant to do that. Sometimes if I am lucky she believes me. 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks