• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick question! Inside knuckles - snot/grease-packed or dry?

Trango

I'm deep into a kingpin rebuild and boot pack on my front axle, and when I removed the old boot, the inside is literally GUSHING gorilla snot and grease (almost looks like cosmoline).

Is this normal? I haven't really been inside a deuce axle WHILE it was on a deuce, so I'm trying to determine if I should be simply hitting the grease zerks on the Kingpins to relube, or if I should be attempting to reduplicate the messiness I see in this knuckle.

What's normal for a road-going truck? Supergreasy or dry?

Thanks in advance - I'm getting ready to button this up and a quick reply would really help out!

devilman96

RE: Quick question! Inside knuckles - snot/grease-packed or

Coat the parts with grease, once you have the assy together use the plugs in the housing to fill it to proper ammount. (check the TM)

Also note that if you have gear oil in the mix to prolly need to change your axle seal.

jwaller

RE: Quick question! Inside knuckles - snot/grease-packed or

it needs the grease. the kingpins bushings and the axleshaft bushing need the grease even if the u joint does not.

I've considered doing without it(bc a lot of rockcrawlers do it) but I don't suggest for the above reasons.

It will also keep anything from rusting.

55Cameo

Just coating everything with grease is enough with a u-joint axle to keep it from rusting. All of that excess grease is from pumping it through the zerks on the kingpins over the years. The older repeza joints needed the grease, u-joints don't. The bushings get their grease from the zerks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my next U'joint front axle service I'm going to try cornhead grease in the knuckles. My wrecker has the ball axles and GAA is necessary for those.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the main support axle bushing is lubed by the 90wt from the diff. just a little grease on the thrust and spindle bushing is all that is needed. i think the info in the tm for greasing the knuckle is from the days when it was a cv joint. i always put mine togeather dry.

FSBruva

Recovry4x4 said:
On my next U'joint front axle service I'm going to try cornhead grease in the knuckles. My wrecker has the ball axles and GAA is necessary for those.
I thought that stuff had the consistency closer to molasses than peanut butter? How do you intend to fill it up and get the boot on?

Matt

jwaller

m-35tom said:
the main support axle bushing is lubed by the 90wt from the diff. just a little grease on the thrust and spindle bushing is all that is needed. i think the info in the tm for greasing the knuckle is from the days when it was a cv joint. i always put mine togeather dry.
I'm talking about the support bushing out on the stub end. there is no way 90wt can get to it. it's on the wrong side of the seal. basically the bushing thats inside the stub where the inner wheel bearing rides.

Trango

Thanks for the feedback, gents - much appreciated! I assembled side one dry last night, and greased the KP zerks after installing new bronze KP bushings.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FSBruva said:
Recovry4x4 said:
I thought that stuff had the consistency closer to molasses than peanut butter? How do you intend to fill it up and get the boot on?

Matt
Fill plugs...after the boot is on.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been a long debated subject with some saying add the grease and others saying leave it out.

When I replaced a u-joint and boot on my truck I didn't know what to do. In the end I ended up adding the grease. I can't really see as it doing any good but it had it in there when I tore it down and it can't hurt anything (other than dealing with the mess the next time you're in there).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks