• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Work on the baby HEMTT grinds to a start.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MUDLORD said:
jones, is the fuel tank you used on your truck off of a hemtt?? a friend of mine has 2 tanks at his house that look just like the tank on your truck and we are trying to figure out what they came off of.
As far as I know, the HEMTT fuel tank is a single cylindrical 150 gal tank, probably too big for the 2-1/2 ton Baby HEMTT. What is the capacity/size of your tanks?

Jones

Mike,
My fuel tanks are the 50 gallon "D" tanks, mounted flat side in, that came on the late 80s to early 90s Ford 7000 and 8000 series trucks.
The HEMTTs use a single 150 gallon cylindrical tank.

Jones

The last of the crane mount drwgs. arrived last week so I made my own "Stiffening Arm-R.H." and "Stiffening Arm-L.H." Cut them out, got them welded up, primed and installed.
My Grove MHC977 crane should be here and mounted towards the middle of this month. Co-ordinating arrival in town of Grove MHC977 with Manitowoc road crane at my place has been a handful.
DMA251 has been kind enough to offer to haul it down but is on a tight turn-around schedule. My buddy and his Manitowoc could be out making cratesful of money instead of lifting and setting my Grove and outriggers in place for the price of a cheeseburger and a Coke.
Here's a few pictures of the last of the pieces and parts together and installed.
More to be posted the day of the Great Crane-Fest.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow this is a great thread excellent engineering and work and I too like Clint would love to see this baby in the womb without an ultrasound. (I am pro life)

Have you thought about boxing the frame rails at a few points like were the clamps are and other critical spots?

Jones

With a gestation period like that of a Basking Shark, the baby HEMTT hasn't exactly been an overnight process but I do manage to do something on it almost every day.
The HEMTT cranes hang a lot further out on the ends of the frame (away from a support or 'fulcrum point') than mine will. According to my local structural iron engineer and Oshkosh the stiffening arms are getting into overkill-- boxing the frame isn't necessary.

dma251

You know Leonard - when I step back and look at this with fresh eyes, it's really amazing that a private individual can do this level of workmanship.

Forget my project. Yeah, it's a display of nit-picking detail that I'm very proud of, but it's basically gathering hard to find parts, cleaning them, and snapping it together.

You are actually BUILDING a truck from scratch!@$@!!! That's something not too many people can lay claim to. I'm feeling prety priviledged to be able to see in person.

Jones

Aw, shucks... nothin' to it.
You just start out, unaware that you're not capable of doing something, and you'd be amazed what you can accomplish.
Thanks for the kind words though; it's still nice to know somebody out there is watching.

Jakob

Jones said:
Aw, shucks... nothin' to it.
You just start out, unaware that you're not capable of doing something, and you'd be amazed what you can accomplish.
Thanks for the kind words though; it's still nice to know somebody out there is watching.
Not nearly on this level, but I built an old Blazer from the frame up. Spread out over so much time, it doesn't seem like you're building a whole truck. It just seems like bits and pieces, then, some of those bits and pieces start coming together (if everything goes right :lol:). Before you know it, you're turning the proverbial key on a finished project.

Armada

Oh, we're watching Leonard... :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool:

I love this project and the skills being applied by the man building it! Keep up the great work SIR!
The amazing thing is that you still have the time to help us other guys out with our own projects. Thanks again for the part you made for me!
Paul

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[/quote]
Oh, we're watching Leonard... :popcorn: :drool: :popcorn: :drool:
Paul[/quote]

:ditto: And my 16 year old son is now signed up for welding and metalwork in school, in no small part because of your project.
For me, if I can't have/build something like this myself, the next best thing is the vicarious enjoyment of watching you do it. So thanks for letting us observe. :)

Cheers

Jones

Hats off to dma251. That guy doesn't know the meaning of the term "take some time off for yourself".

Not only did he track down and work a super deal on a HEMTT crane for me.
He's also spent untold hours taking measurements off of his HEMTT so I could fab up the support brackets-- last week he drove over and picked it up then hauled it down from Washington to my place where we unloaded it and installed it on the back of the baby HEMTT.

For anyone planning a project of this scope, a forklift is mandatory.
I rented one and had it here when Damon and his assistant driver Doug showed up Monday AM.

First off the trailer was the outrigger assy. Set it aside and rigged the Grove MHC977 for the next pick.
Chained up the controller and lifted it off of the trailer and set it directly onto the mounting brackets on the back of the baby HEMTT.

Went for the outrigger assy. next and when positioned, found that none of the bolt holes lined up. This was a result of me outsmarting myself and pulling a bonehead math error.
At this point we figured lunch was in order as Damon & Company had to start back for home. We loaded some HMMWV and HEMTT parts I had for him and headed for a burger.

When I went back to my house I still had half a day left so what the heck; broke out my mag drill and marked the outrigger assy. for holes to match up with those in the mounting brackets. Six 13/16" holes later I trimmed off the excess mounts on the outrigger assy. and it lifted into place just like it was meant to go there.

Since the previous owner had it laying on it's face on a pallet, I have hoses to remake and wiring to do as the wiring harnesses were cut (easier to disassemble when you don't have to disconnect everything), and a remote controller cable to manufacture but the baby HEMTT project has made a quantum leap forward in the last few days.

To Damon, and all the other members who are keeping up on the baby HEMTT project, (and keeping tabs on me)-- thanks for the interest and encouragement. You're definately what makes this hobby fun.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jones

m35tech, I've got a folder full. PM me you email address and I'll get something out to you.

Kenny, Rizzo... just one question; 'Does this crane make my butt look big?'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks