• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sandblaster fresh air supply?

citizensoldier

I am searching for the best way to supply fresh air to the mask? One idea I have heard is another pump head with vegi oil in it supplying to the mask/hood.. I dont want to end up dead in 20 years so what do you guys out there use?
And yes I am building a blaster because our local blast guy is a idiot and charges to much. A couple weeks ago he did some WWII combat rims for me and didnt bother to take the outer ring off! Just blasted around it and primed it! They were just sitting on top.. :( Must cost extra to lift that off the rim.. :roll:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You are really gonna need to buy a real fresh air system and a hood. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to try to build something homemade.

Lungs are rather inaccessible... best not to take chances.

There are stand alone systems out there in the marketplace... I think Eastwqood has them, but who knows what quality they are.

citizensoldier

I will be buying a good hood that comes with a nice hose set up. It cant be to hard to build some type of fresh air pump with a filtering system.. Many times my "homemade things" are better than you can buy.. In my world of cheap white boy anyway...LOL
Thanks for the words clinto and I here you thats why I am needing some input. What are the guys that do it every day using and so on and so forth.. I would like to see some photos.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My buddy that does media stripping has a high end setup that sends filtered, cool, dry air to the hood. I will have to ask him some more details about it but I am pretty sure it has some kind of carbon monoxide or dioxide scrubber in the system.

Capt.Marion

What kind of blaster are you building that you need a whole respirator setup like that? Just curious... I don't blame you for getting fed up and starting to build your own setup, it makes like much easier.

Dieselsmoke

Nice, I've got the 4 man pump listed on the second page. Glad I got it free and didn't pay that for it :shock: I need a new filter, whew $99 for just the filter. I use it for blasting and painting. Was set up for 3 phase but don't have 3 phase here :? Set up my blasting booth in a 35' shipping container, plenty of height and length but wish it was wider. Can't have everything I guess.

hmmm...

here's a scenario...youv'e set yourself up with a sandblast/paint booth made out of a sea-can.your painting with,say,carc...your'e at the back of the can and the homebuilt breathing gear takes a crap...can you make it out with the mask on?

I train about once a year for supplied air use in the oil patch...it's way harder than you think.especially if your working hard and breathing fast.
personally,i'd never use something homebuilt to supply the stuff that keeps me alive...especially in any sort of confined space.

That being said...if your outdoors and can rip of the hood in an emergency...not so bad.
for supplied air,you need something with high volume and low pressure.
about 15 psi,and over 20cfm,should do...you want positive pressure at the hood,and enough to make up for line loss.
sounds a-lot like an HVLP paint compressor.with a filter and regulator.make VERY certain that your supply point is free of any fumes or vapors,like car exaust.remember that under hood,the only thing you breath is what that pump supplies.

if you get bad air,say carbon monoxide,then you'll pass out and die.
i highly recomend you save up and buy a rig built for the purpose.

citizensoldier

Re: RE: hmmm...

gimpyrobb said:
Use a leaf blower or set the shop vac to "blow" instead of suck.
I see there was no shortage of crack at Haspin... :shock: :D :lol: :roll:

also this type of thinking explains some things.. that make you go..... HMMMMMMMM!

So how did that M62/543 do? Did you get her is the mud? Garden Gnome over and out.. :wink:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Re: RE: hmmm...

The m62 went EVERYWHERE the other trucks went. It didn't make it through the 2 mud holes though. I bet if the front (axle) would have been working, it would have made that too.I know what I need to work on now. Back on topic, what about one of those blowers the fills up the shelters Wreckerman was selling? There was a pic somewhere.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: hmmm...

Since you already have the airline and hood assembly how about finding a used "breathing air box" like is shown on the MSC catalog page?

We use them at the plant I work at with hoods and facepieces. They use multiple filters to remove moisture, particulates, oil, odor etc. plus have a CO monitor built in. We use them to provide grade D specification air right off of the plant instrument air header. Replacement filters are not too bad. It is important to size your unit to the cfm demands of the hood or facepiece. As ambulancechsr mentioned if you are in an atmosphere that is "immediately dangerous to life and health" then you'd want a positive pressure mask with an escape air bottle in case the air line goes down.
Hope this helps,
Chad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks