• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid Zone inspector

Daneil

Had a zone inspector come to the house today. Gave me a ticket for having my deuce in the driveway. Said you can't have a commercial truck in your driveway. Told him, it's not a commercial truck. It's a military surplus truck. Gave me a (duhhhhh) look. ( note drull on his cheek) Then he said " Well you can't have and inoperable vehicle in your driveway. I tolk him it drives just fine. Then of course he hit me for the no plates. Stupid SF97. lol. So now I'm having to park the ole girl on the side of the house. At least one each behind the front facet of my house on a side that does not face a street. I pay my over inflated property taxes so the city of Virginia Beach can harass me about a legally purchased fully operational vehicle. I hate this place. Any room out in the country.

DanMartin

You got a ticket for parking a vehicle with no plates in your driveway? Isn't your driveway private property? How different is that from the side of the house?

:cookoo:

Is this another of those HOA issues? What a crock.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolute crap, and this in a so-called free country. Take him to court, sue his ass off. It is private property and you can have an inoperable non-plated vehicle painted whatever color on your own property if you want to. Start going by HIS house and take pictures of HIS crap and challenge him on it. Keep harassing HIM, let HIM feel your pain.

This will continue to happen until we start hanging bureaucrats from lampposts by their necks. Just a little opinion for you to keep in mind.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Move to Alerbammer....I have had 7 MV's at one time in the field next to me. The only question I got was "are you in some kind of milita?"
Some public officials have nothing better to do than to try to justify their overinflated pay.
His next stop was prob the coffee shop where he took a long break after such a taxing ordeal.

dm22630

I live in VA also, and just got home. While I was out, I got pulled over for no tags....after explaining to the cop that it was for "farm use" and showing him the page I printed off of the VA DMV website, I was given an APOLOGY & was told that I was "good to go...have a nice day" ----> http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/farm_unregistered.asp

In VA, you DO NOT have to register your MV, as long as it is covered on your insurance (per a State Police Sergeant).

If you ever are given any crap from cops...just tell them you are on your way to Lowes or Home Depot to buy agricultural supplies for your farm. (wood, fencing, etc)

I would call the sheriffs office or police station with that information and have them void the ticket before it gets processed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It amazes me when people post here that they are having town(or other)zoning issues(and did not expect it). There is no excuse for not knowing your local laws. If you don't know what your local zoning laws are, you should find out what they are. I think a lot of you might be surprised at what zoning laws your towns may have. Some towns don't enforce the laws but that doesn't mean they won't(sometime). Here in My town, you are only allowed 1 unregistered vehicle on your property. In the bordering township, you are not allowed any unregistered vehicles.

When it comes to Housing Authorities or Home Owners Associations, well you chose to buy or live there(what were you thinking).

peecook

As a fellow Virginian, I got a 6x8 pink sticker on the side of my deuce a couple weeks ago. No vehicles over 5K lbs allowed in Henrico county neighborhoods. they threatened to tow it, so now she lives next to campers and boats at the local storage yard.

Orionspath

It's not the inspector's will that he is attempting to enforce, it is more than likely a city council approved ordinance that the inspector is being charged with enforcing. You could just ignore it and he will be back with another Notice of Violation. He will give you a "reasonable" amount of time and then he will forward the matter to the city attorney.
My advice would be to contact his/her supervisor and open a dialogue. Keep record of the conversation, noting date, time , names , etc. Demonstrate that you are a responsible citizen and speak in terms that appeal to everyone's sense of duty, honor, and country. You might find that they will cut you some extra rope while you wait for that proverbial SF97 to arrive.
Now you could simply take up Mr. Hodge's reccomendation and move that iron to the country. Heck that's what I am doing until her paperwork shows up. I actually picked up a temp. permit from the DMV ($5 for 3 days) and drove her to a VFW 245 miles away in Delaware, two weeks ago. Now that is defininately a nice place to store her while I await the "second coming".

Reactions: emr

FreightTrain

Banned
All I gotta say is MOLON LABE!They wanna come remove my truck they had best NOT do it while I am at home....Cause once they hook up I am gonna jump in the cab and take that tow truck for a ride.There will be one towing company with one less truck.

SrIrie

Private property should be private that is f-d up

wreckerman893 said:
I have had 7 MV's at one time in the field next to me. The only question I got was "are you in some kind of milita?"
:funny: I find this very funny because I only have one M35 and have been asked if I am starting or a member of a militia twice since its been next to my garage. rofl

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FreightTrain said:
All I gotta say is MOLON LABE!They wanna come remove my truck they had best NOT do it while I am at home....Cause once they hook up I am gonna jump in the cab and take that tow truck for a ride.There will be one towing company with one less truck.
Take your truck, Over your dead body? That would just solve two of your towns problems FT! rofl

Reactions: emr

dm22630

doghead said:
It amazes me when people post here that they are having town(or other)zoning issues(and did not expect it). There is no excuse for not knowing your local laws. If you don't know what your local zoning laws are, you should find out what they are. I think a lot of you might be surprised at what zoning laws your towns may have. Some towns don't enforce the laws but that doesn't mean they won't(sometime). Here in My town, you are only allowed 1 unregistered vehicle on your property. In the bordering township, you are not allowed any unregistered vehicles.

When it comes to Housing Authorities or Home Owners Associations, well you chose to buy or live there(what were you thinking).
I agree & disagree....

I think that one SHOULD check and see if they will be violating any local laws prior to buying a questionable item....however, MOST of the time, these "rules" are in a 2 inch thick town code book that is not easily accessible to the average person. MOST people wouldn't know where to look OR what to look for.

The majority of zoning depts are underfunded and overworked, and basically do not just go around looking for violations & ONLY investigate after a complaint. Some localities have deemed the police as defacto zoning enforcement officers (they did where I live), and if a cop while on patrol sees a zoning violation can issue violations rather than forwarded a complaint onto the zoning dept.

A lot of the time, the town code books will contradict themselves. So get a copy (or copy of the section that pertains to you) and find a loophole. Remember, they get paid the exact same amount each week whether they write 100 violations or ZERO.

----- > Something to keep in mind.....the farther you live from metropolitan areas, the less rules you will have to deal with. (unless you are in some rural historic district).

FreightTrain

Banned
Hey,I work hard for the stuff I have.Some sorry more than likely Left wing nut job democrat ain't gonna take my crap away from me cause it doesn't look perdy to them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good place to start asking about your local zoning laws is with your Town Clerk. They will most likely forward you to the Town Code Enforcement Officer. They will usually listen to you if you describe what laws you need to understand. Get involved a little with your town, volunteer a little and get to know some of the people that call the shots. You don't have to like them or become like them. It is good to be on good terms(at least a first name basis) with them though. :wink:

Ignorance of the law is no excuse
The statement "ignorance of the law is no excuse" is an ancient legal doctrine:
Ignorance of the law excuses no man; not that all men know the law; but because 'tis an excuse every man will plead, and no man can tell how to confute him.
John Selden (1584-1654), posthumously published in Table Talk, 1689.
If a defendant were allowed to escape legal responsibility for his acts, merely by saying "I didn't know it was wrong/illegal", the system of using law to regulate human conduct would collapse. So the doctrine is a practical necessity.

This doctrine still has vitality and validity today. See, for example, Ratzlaf v. U.S., 510 U.S. 135, 149 (1994); U.S. v. Freed, 401 U.S. 601, 612 (1971) (Brennan, J., concurring); Minnesota v. King, 257 N.W.2d 693, 697 (1977).

However, the law in the USA has swelled to a size that is unknowable even by experts. In Oct 1998, the annotated edition of the U.S. Code (i.e., federal statutes) occupied 990 cm of library shelf space. In Oct 1998, the annotated edition of the New York state statutes occupied 675 cm of library shelf space. Who can know all that is within these pages? A criminal law class in law school contains only about 40 hours of lectures, mostly about homicides, with a little about larceny and rape. The only solution seems to be a detailed search of statutes and cases in a database on a computer (e.g., WESTLAW), plus the avoidance of any behavior that harms people, either through physical, financial, or emotional injury, or by deceit.

A related concept in law is "wilful blindness": the criminal defendant who should have known, and could have asked, but deliberately chose not to ask. The law regards "wilful blindness" as equivalent to knowledge. U.S. v. Jewell, 532 F.2d 697, 700-701 (9th Cir. 1976), cert. denied, 426 U.S. 951 (1976). Cited with approval in U.S. v. Lara-Velasquez, 919 F.2d. 946, 950-951 (5th Cir. 1990).

It is your duty to know the laws of your town and abide by them, even the stupid ones!

FrankUSMC

Do not flame me, but I am with Doghead on this one.
I have bought two houses, when I bought the first one over 21 years ago I asked about the zoning laws, and was given a copy for my naborhood. At that time I had two WWII trucks and wanted to make sure I could have them in that area. I started collecting military vehicles before they were "cool".
I just bought my second home, out more in the country, but!! I still asked! and was given a copy of any zoning laws for the area.
If you are going to play with big toys, ask before you buy the house.
The comment about having to go though court records at the court house, that is what you are buying your realstate ageant to do.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Daneil

doghead said:

Not once did I say I did not know the rules. Before criticizing someone for not knowing the rules, maybe you should read and ask questions of what was meant. The post I wrote was merely a vent for being caught by a stupid rule in an area that always changes it's rules. Note where I have parked it in the post. I would say in the manner in which it is worded that I do know the law. ( But that’s assuming ) You can sit there all day and quote all kinds of dead people all day long. I could care less. Know and understand what someone is saying before you blast them for (not knowing your zoning laws) Since you did ask though (irony). A neighbor called in and complained about the "big ugly truck" in my drive way.

lstmate

My Two Cents....

Here is my suggestion.....

I presume you have the documentation where you filed for the SF97. If so I call the city attorney and inform and offer to show that the vehicle is not licensed due to the delay of the Federal government not issuing the proper paperwork for you to obtain the license. That you will obtain said license as soon as the paperwork arrives. It might keep you from going to court if you can show you are doing the best you can to meet the requirements of the law but it has not happened due to the Federal Government not issuing the SF97.

dm22630

I called the Virginia Beach zoning dept after my last post & AFTER looking online at the VA beach code book online. I could not find anything that you had violated.....so I thought maybe the zoning dept would know. The zoning dept's solution to my question was to leave me on hold for 17 minutes with elevator music blasting in my ear before I hung up...question still unanswered.

What section of the code did you violate?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks