• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

Barrman

Looks like you got what you wanted Rory. I am between you and Houston if you need help getting it back. Matter of fact. I am driving the Gasser to Houston Saturday to bring back a motor home, going back to Houston on Sunday for a family thing, going again the Sunday after that for more family stuff and then back again the 31st. Let me know if you need something checked or transported.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tim. It will be a few weeks before it is ready to move, I'm going to be re-e-e-al familiar with that drive by then!

Be safe on your travels. I'm looking forward to finally seeing your deuce. If it's anything like your M715, it should be a beaut.

I figured we needed one of these for the Vietnam event at the Temple airshow next time.. :)

Cheers

Barrman

The Gasser isn't "done" yet. I should be able to finish sanding the hard top tonight and maybe get it painted. Then the entire bed that I put back on last week to do the motorhome recovery has to come off and get the treatment. Then, it will be almost "done." But, as you know that "almost done" stage could last for years. My goal is also the Veterans Day parade with you guys in Austin by the way.

I think that V-100 would be great at Temple.

Sarge

Sarge, this is all your fault you know! I go to my buddy and say "I need objective advice, talk sense into me". What do I get? Picture, if you will, a very large fellow running around in circles shouting "Buy it! Buy it!"
How on Earth else am I going to get to ride in one of the coolest pieces of armor in Texas?
Objective advice? You buy it, I ride for free! That's pretty objective!
Hee-hee!
-Sarge

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. It's been number 1 on my list since day 1, and a very long time in coming. I remember several years ago sitting in the back of Sarge's deuce at a show, drinking tea and telling him my pipedream of owning a V100 and an 800 series 5-ton to haul it around behind.
A year later I had the M813, but since then I had prety much given up on owning/affording the V100 until this one showed up. Like Papabear, I was thinking that I would have to sell house, kids, dogs (and my neighbours dogs) to get one, but it turned out better than that.

I have a bucket more pictures of it as it sits, I'll put a few more up (I'm at work right now), and I'll post progress pics as it goes back together. Let me know if there are any specific details you want to see.

Cheers

Bill W

I've wanted the open top ( airforce ) version for years., To me that ( V-100 ) has got to be the holy grail of post WWII Mil vehicles!, Congrats

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, the USAF E2s are really cool too. There are a couple of very nice ones for sale right now, but wow are they pricey! Here is a pic of one of them. I can't remember where I found it on the net, so I can't give credit to the owner of the picture.

Another interesting variation that apparently didn't make production was the fire truck.

Cheers

Edit: The E2 pic came off the armyjeeps.net website. That site makes me sing that song in my head "If I were a rich man..."!

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JimK sent me a picture of one with that foul weather hood installed. It does indeed look rather odd, particularly since the turret is missing. But I imagine looks don't count for much if you are driving a convertible with snow blowing in your face!
It would have to be for secure environments only, since you wouldn't be able to traverse the turret forward.

On the topic of turrets, I have also attached a couple of shots of the inside of mine. You can see the simple gun mounts, the .50 goes on the left, .30 on the right (note the different hole diameters in the mantlet). Turret is all manual, traverse is by a hand wheel on the left side, elevation is by a handle with your right hand, firing button is on the end of the handle. Simple, but it works.
The round wheely looking thing on the right side of the first pic is the mount for the equalibrating spring that balances the guns.
The pic with the guns installed is not mine, I included it to show how things fit in there. Gets pretty cramped!
The last pic is a V100 lighter I picked up a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Edit: I have also now been told that the hatch covers were also used on the vehicles simulating Russian anti-air missile carriers used by aggressors at Ft Irwin. The hatch was to hold the , ahem, air conditioning in. A/C?? Now wouldn't that be sweet!

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine is in the back left corner. It is an M75, basically a militarized Chrysler 361 that was common in trucks back then, and the same engine as the early M113s. The engine is mounted "backwards", as in the fan is at the rear, the transmission is forward of the motor, then the transfer case is ahead of that. That pagoda looking thing on the roof behind the turret is the cover for the radiator intake, the radiator being suspended at an angle above the engine. The exhaust goes out the scoop that protrudes from the upper rear of the hull. The hatch in the side behind the back left wheel gives access to the batteries and air cleaner and one side of the engine. The panels inside the hull come off for service. I will post more pics when I get home, I'm at work again now. It will make sense when you see them.

Cheers

Edit: Okay, I do have one of the engine bay on the work computer...

Edit 2: and another one from the internet, nicked from armyjeep.net website

Edit 3: I notice that picture captions didn't make the trip from old site to new. To clarify orientation, both pics were taken through the right side door and looking to the rear, the left one has all the panels off, all are in place in the right pic.
Note also that the slave point is inside the hull, visible in pic 2.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what these tabs welded to the side of the turret are for?
They are the same on both sides. There is a tiny hole drilled through the turret armour, you can see it above the vision port about half way between the tab and the right edge of the glass. It is just big enough to run a wire through, which of course makes me think something electrical. My guess is most likely spotlights of some sort, a long shot might be smoke dischargers. It is known to have served guarding a nuke site post-Vietnam.

Attachments

Pawnshop

SOMEWHERE I seem to remember seeing a photo of a V100 with huge spotlights mounted on the turret, for spotlighting deer I expect:), if I can find the photo I will post it. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!!

Sam

Elwenil

Yeah, I have seen pics with both smoke grenade launchers and also with a large spot lamp like was common on versions of the M60 tank.

Is it going to be a 100% stock restoration or are there going to be modifications? A crate Hemi will bolt right in place of that 361 and then you can go embarrass the monkeys in their mustangs at stoplights, lol.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Sam.

Elwenil, do NOT tempt me with such talk! :razz:
There was actually a version that had a 440 in it before they went ahead and moved to diesel power. While this version is quite spirited for an armoured vehicle, I'm told the 440 version fairly screamed down the road. By that I mean the high end was still c. 65mph, but it got there a lot quicker. This version is supposed to do 0-50 in 36 seconds, which is not shabby.

Actually, I am planning on stock restoration, interpreted as meaning in-service configuration. I will not re-engine it, nor add anything that entails welding or drilling on the hull or turret. Sam, I'd like to see your spotlight picture before I decide, but I think I may end up with smoke dischargers. I saw pictures somewhere of some on a few that were used by the Marines for 'sensitive' site security, but that was a while back and I haven't found them again so I'm not clear on what the setup was. Fortunately, I can decide all that later. For now, it will be completed using what is in the boxes and boxes of small parts. Later, when I get the vehicle down here I will test fit some lights and smoke launchers, I have those that go on the other armoured car in my shop. We'll see what looks good.

Cheers

Last edited:

DSO_351

V100s in Anderson Indiana

I attended a MV show earlier this month. In an old glass factory, several wheeled & tracked vehicles were on display. I'm not that familar with the V100, here are a few in the museum. I don't know the owner, but they hold the show annually.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, thanks for posting those DSO. The first one is a lot like mine, an early hull with some later style features. Looks like it is in really nice shape.

I don't know if those are close to you, but if so, the next time you are there could you get the hull numbers off them? It is stamped in the outer side of the left front lift ring (the one welded on top of the nose), should read 10xxx. It is also on the hand throttle/choke plate under the left side of the instrument panel, but you would have to get inside to see that. One of the guys is collecting the numbers to make a record of all known preserved examples.

Cheers

After seeing the one that WGtactical has they are a very nice item. Now just if a guy can find one to get his hands on. M813rc glad you got ahold of one. Might as well start my look now. May take a few years :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks