• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Dave, much appreciated.
Unfortunately won't be making it to Portland this time. Is your vehicle with the speaker the Scout in your signature line? Those are sweet vehicles too.

And thanks JimK for all the info and help you have given off line.

Cheers.

Yes, my Scout has a mount for a PA speaker.

Looking forward to seeing your V100 pics as it comes along. I wish mine was going to be finished for the Nationals but alas, our new baby has changed some of my free time moments.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was hoping to have some new pics by now, but work is not being kind to me. Work definitely gets in the way of my "OD Disease" therapy time! I'll post some soon.

I saw some pictures of your V coming off a trailer a while back, how is it coming along? I'd love to see the Scout too, regardless of its state. Those are NOT common. :drool:

Cheers

Barrman

Rory,
My motor home recovery got pushed back to this weekend. I will be heading to Houston Saturday afternoon and then returning early Sunday morning. I will be in Bel air. If you need something brought back, let me know since I should have most of the Gasser bed empty.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tim, won't have anything ready to move for a bit longer. I really appreciate the offer though. Soon!
Cheers

Rory-

Here's a pic of the Scout. It is the only one I have ever seen in the US. If you know of any others, please let me know as there are a few things I would like to find.

Still looking for the manuals, spares, etc. Probably will never find them though.

Keep me in mind if you ever find any Scout things.
:)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow Dave, now that is a VERY sweet ride! Looks to be in great shape, I'm impressed...

:drool: again

I have a buddy who has some contacts in the Philipines, which is where quite a few of those went. It's a long shot, but I'll see if he can dig anything up.

Cheers

Edit- Oops! :oops: Spoke too quickly, checked my facts, they went to Indonesia, not the Philipines. I had the right pictures in my mind, but attributed to the wrong country.
Egypt seems to have received quite a few also.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had hoped for a lot more progress to report at this point, but Hurricane Ike kinda adjusted those plans. The V100, and the workshop it is in, are over by Houston. Both survived the storm unscathed, but with no power, downed trees and other damage all around the place, lots of storm related duties for me at work, etc., getting the vehicle done just hasn't been the priority.

With things returning to normal around here now, I'll have some progress to share soon. Meanwhile, check out what Derrick has done with his. Make sure you have your drooling towel handy!

Cheers

mvmaniac

Congratulations on getting your dream vehicle. I am thinking about buying a V-100 and I was wondering if you could tell me the good and the bad about that particular vehicle. Why is it so popular? Are there other wheeled armored vehicles that would be better for a novice collector / recreational user? Thanks

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I answered your PM with a lot more detail, but here are some short answers-
Hard to explain popularity. For me I just think the V100 is the coolest piece of armour to ever roll on wheels (though there are some great runners-up). Also, it is one of the very few post-WWII wheeled US armoured vehicles to go into production, and it did serve in Vietnam, which makes it interesting and desirable.
The upside of owning one is that for a piece of armour it is not complex and is reasonably easy to maintain. Some parts for the engine (militarized Chrysler 361) and the axles (basically Deuce axles) are easy to get and cheap.
The downside is that other parts are horrendous (e.g. transfer case) IF you can find them. Add to that the fact that there are very few V100s in private hands, which makes those few rather expensive to acquire when you do find one.

In general, wheeled armour is not a practical vehicle for anything other than playing with (heavy and slow as a rule), and as MV's go they are above average expense wise. My suggestions were BRDM, Saracen, Ferret, and Fox for starters, though I haven't owned any of those. I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions and comments.

Cheers

B3.3T

Having owned all of the above mentioned vehicles except a BRDM, the Fox, Ferret, and Saracen, plus Saladin, are mechanical nightmares compared to the simplicity of the V-100 design. Parts for the Brit vehicles are also very expensive to buy and ship. The pre-select gearboxes are very expensive and very fragile, and very complex. The Ferret and Fox have ten gearboxs, the Saracen/Saladin 14! All are prone to leaking.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:shock: Kinda answers that, eh?? I guess the "fun" factor has to outweigh the "PIA" factor to make it worthwhile. But that's why we call this addiction a hobby right? :)

Cheers

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Rory,

So, you thought your grocery getter is pretty cool? Here is how it compares to the new Batmobile.

..........................BATMOBILE..........................RORYMOBILE

Made in..............United Kingdom...........................USA

Year....................2005........................................1968

Weight................2-1/2 tons...............................6.9 tons

Length/width ......15'/9'.......................................18.6'/7.4'

Engine................350ci SB Chevy.......................361 BB Chrysler

Seating(driver+)..1 girl or Morgan Freeman......10 fully equipped combat soldiers

Drivers seat.....seated or "attack"(prone).........seated(combat)or seated hi-visibility

Drivers access........1 roof hatch .......................4 roof hatches and 3 side doors

Street legal??................No.................................Yes

First Aid kit.....................No.................................Yes

O/B Fire suppression.....No....................Portable chemical unit, Fixed CO2 engine bay system, canteen

Armor........................None............................3/8" or 1/4" Cadalloy

Proof......Computer generated effects...........7.62x59mmAP, .50cal at 45*, 155mm
................ .....................................................shell splinters, molotov cocktails, hand grenades

Armament.......2 dummy machine guns.........Real twin 30cal MG, or twin 7.62 MG, or 30ca/50cal,
.....................................................................or 1 mini gun, or 1-40mm hi-speed automatic
.....................................................................grenade launcher, optional M60 for back door
...................... ..............................................and /or another 50 cal above turret hatch.
........................... ...........................................see defensive resources below.

Accessories........................Batpod....................Axe, shovel, strecher, smoke grenade dischargers
..........................................................................fuel can (other accessories trailered -i.e. M105,
........................................................................ .90mm howitzer, 2007 Hyubasa, 45' Scarab fast ..........................................................................boat, Coleman pop up camper....) - see defensive
........................................................................... resources below.

Communication................Cell phone?..................RT-524 Radio and 3 way intercom

Navigation......................phony GPS screens........Maps

River crossing.................30'jump(claimed).............unlimited(amphibious)

Winch............Bat Grapple, belt, 350lb(claimed)......Braden 10,000lbs(20,000lbs w/snatch block, included)

Drivetrain..........................4x2................................4x4

Axles(F/R).....................none/truck..........................F&R Rockwell double reduction
................................................................................w/detroit locking differentials

Front tires(tyres)............. Hooser Dirt car................14:00x20 12 ply Commando Specials

Rear tires.........................Super Swampers(x4).......14:00x20 12 ply Commando Specials

Tire weight(F/R).................65/95lbs.........................320/320lbs

Bullet proof tires?...................No...............................Yes (run flats)

Tire diameter(F/R).................29/38"...........................48.5/48.5"

Top speed.....................110MPH(claimed)...................65MPH(actual)

Law enforcement protocol... attack or evade...............assist and/or SWAT

Drive over patrol cars?...........Yes.................................N/A

Smash thru structures?.........Maybe.............................Yes

Defensive resources.....phony exploding caltrops..........LAW, SAW, M60, BAR, M16, M79,
......................................................................................hand grenades, side arms, satchel
.....................................................................................charges,
......................................................................................machetes, brass knuckles

Special effects............3' Propane jet engine blast....... 150-240ft M2A1-7 flame thrower
......................................................................................blast from any of 7 doors or 7-9
......................................................................................machine gun ports.

Back-up.........100,000 computer generated bats........1.5 million active men and women
.................................................................................... military service persons,
...................................................................................1.5 million reservists, Coast Guard, local law enforcement,
........................................................................... ........international allies, Texas Rangers, The Marines....

Back-up's resources.........flapping wings......................Thermonuclear ICBM's, attack helicopters, stealth
.......................................................,.............................bombers, ground attack aircraft, close in artillery support
.....................................................................................TOE missiles, Hellfire missiles , laser guided bombs
.................................................................................... shore bombardment (Navy)
.....................................................................................8500+ Abrams tanks,

Sources:
TM-9-2320-245-24(Jan -1972)
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Begins
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_military
http://www.batmobilehistory.com/2005-batmobile.php
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_thrower

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, due to work, hurricanes, gremlins and whatever else, progress has been less than stellar on this project. Grouch, mutter, whine.....

Things are picking up now though, and it should roll along a little quicker. Most of the wiring is in, fuel tanks are plumbed, brakes and hydraulics are complete (clutch is hydraulic too). Should be able to start it soon.

Thought I would stick a few more pics on.

Cheers

1 & 2- Instrument panel, front and back
3- Drivers hatches
4- Looking back from drivers position. Looks roomy in there, it isn't! Also turret basket isn't inside yet, that takes up most of the middle.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few outside.

1 & 2- Drivers hatches
3- Looking back over the engine bay. The dirt dobbers seem to love this thing too, little buggers keep building nests in it.
4- Exhaust shroud. The dual exhaust pipes come out the holes on either side on the lower corners below the fan. The mufflers attach to the brackets on the rear plate. The fan sucks the air through the engine bay and across the mufflers. A heavy grill sits across the top.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Joec.
Wish I could claim responsibility for that sweet looking interior, but all credit goes to Earl, the sandblasting and paint was done before I bought it.

Sam, is this the V100 with the 'deer hunter' light you were thinking of? Might be a tad large for the side of my turret. :)

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks