• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Foreign admirer of the Deuce at a car show

ida34

While at a car show on Friday I had a Norwegian man take a long look at the deuce. In broken English he told me about his compulsory service and how he was a deuce driver in the Army. He told me about running super singles instead of duals. He seemed to be very happy to see on after what must have been awhile. This is why I take her to car shows also. It is not the same old thing at a car show. It is unique. At the typical military vehicle show she is just one of a few or more. At the regular car show she is the only vehicle kids can get up into and get pics taken in. The kids love it and it is a hit with the older crowd that don't go to military vehicle shows but happen to go to a car show. Veteran especially like to sit and talk with me for a few while. Great response and great time at the show. If you guys have not done so make it a point to take your vehicle to a "regular" car show once in a while.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very good thought. I took mine to a Cruse in last friday and really got everyones attention when we blew the horn to get the orange barrels moved. Lots of looks driving through all the custom cars . The kids really liked the deuce. They took pics ,just had a good time climbing up in the cab.

Neil

L1A1

Hey,
A friend of mine brought his M221 (M211 family variant) tractor truck to a local car show. They let him attend, they also told him not to come back with an MV :?
Matt

TedG

Good point Chuck,

A few years back I took my Dodge WC56 CC to a Mopar car show. Rows of muscle cars and then my WC56, then more rows of muscle cars. I had a lot of people stop and ask a lot of questions. Older guys had some interesting stories to tell. The crowd voted and I came in second!

Regards,

randyscycle

My M-715 gets more attention than any Chevelle, Camaro, Mustang, motorcycle, truck or car I've owned, or for that matter any vehicle I have had. At shows or just at the corner gas station it always starts a conversation.

Generally it brings back a memory of service time done for an older vet, or just the curiousity of others.

Its nice to know that vehicles originally intended for defense and wartime, now can bring back memories and pleasure to those who see them.

nkawtg

Chuck,

What show were you at?? I agree with you, in fact I liked the MVs at Motor Muster more than most of the vehicles that were there. Although my daughter was quite ticked there was no M35 there (at least when we went), I tried to explain that the CCKW that was present was good too.......I guess she just isn't a spark plug fan :D

FreightTrain

Banned
L1A1 said:
Hey,
A friend of mine brought his M221 (M211 family variant) tractor truck to a local car show. They let him attend, they also told him not to come back with an MV :?
Matt

They told him NOT to come back with green iron?When do they hold this car show and where is it?Steel Soldier Invasion Force MOUNT UP!

L1A1

Freight Train
I don't remember which show it was exactly, as this happened about 12 years ago and they tend to have a lot of small shows around here. But in a nut shell,yes they did tell him not to come back with green iron. A lot of the cruise in's and car shows around here (Shenandoah valley, VA) are like that- no 4X4s,no trucks. I guess if it wasn't used in the movie "American Graffiti" they don't want it at their shows (locally)?

Matt

FormerNewMVGuy

L1A1 said:
Hey,
Matt
They let me attend with my duece and trailer but they never seem to happy about me being there, I get many nasty looks , which just encourage's me to keep going back.The general public seems to spend more time lookin at the duece than they do at the shiny stuff.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Invasion Sounds like a FUN idea. Maybe have your own show. I know some of the folks there didn`t feel the same way. Some were glad to see you.

L1A1

Guys
I don't want to hijack Ida34's thread. Maybe this could be the topic of a new thread? a "how does the car show crowd view your MV?" thread.

Ida34
I'm glad that you had such a positive response to your MV at the car show. It's always good to talk to a Veteran who used the same type MV that you happen to own. I know I always enjoyed the experience.

BTW, a buddy of mine from up in Jersey used to bring his '44 GPW to the car shows up there and was always well received. So not all car shows are anti MV.
Matt

ida34

I was at the annual Rolling Sculpture car show in Ann Arbor. It included a plymouth minivan covered in blue plastic carpet grass. :shock: I also had the deuce at Motor Muster. I am really shocked that someone said that to you L1A1. I actually was asked to attend two other shows. One was an orphan car show in Ypsilanti MI that is for cars made by companies are no longer. Anyone that knows Ann Arbor knows the political climate. We still have over age hippies that protest the war and Bush in front of the Federal Building every Tuesday afternoon. Having that in mind a few weeks before this car show there is a green fair. I find it funny that the car show is so much bigger than the green fair. For the first time since going to the show I kept two airsoft M16's in the rifle racks. I had a few people ask if they were real but no one complained. Even if they did I would not have law trouble in Ann Arbor but I was pleasantly surprised to find no one making a fuss about the airsofts and the truck was a big hit. I guess the hippies were staying home to make signs for next Tuesday. Ann Arbor has been called the Berkley of the Midwest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks