• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$50K HUMVEE

Sarge

I think I can answer that one.
If the seller has his reserve set at $50K, then a single bidder can keep bidding until he hits (or exceeds) the reserve price.
Does that sound about right?
-Sarge

54reo

The "Craigslist" truck is a different deal.

The one from E-bay was listed in an ad in the latest MVM I believe.

chicklin

I just thought it was strange that the wording in the ad was almost exactly the same as the craigslist one. Hopefully it was a legit deal, sounds like it was.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alot of people plagarize ads instead of having to be creative and write one themselves when selling a similar item. :roll:

Elwenil

I find it odd that someone bids $10k increments on an auction to get to the reserve when the bidder doesn't have much history and not history of buying military items that I could see. Probably his wife's or g/f's account or something and he was just bidding it up at the end to try and get someone else to bid over the reserve. I don't think many would bid $10k at a time on anything.

chicklin

Elwenil said:
I find it odd that someone bids $10k increments on an auction to get to the reserve when the bidder doesn't have much history and not history of buying military items that I could see. Probably his wife's or g/f's account or something and he was just bidding it up at the end to try and get someone else to bid over the reserve. I don't think many would bid $10k at a time on anything.
Agreed, I bet he just had someone bid it up for him.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually that would not be wise to do because then you are paying ebay your final sale percentage and you did not sell the item. Also if you bid in 10K increments the bid would automatically stop at the reserve until someone else started bidding it higher so you really aren't losing anything.

chicklin

hndrsonj said:
Actually that would not be wise to do because then you are paying ebay your final sale percentage and you did not sell the item. Also if you bid in 10K increments the bid would automatically stop at the reserve until someone else started bidding it higher so you really aren't losing anything.
I think they stopped at the reserve, otherwise those bids wouldn't have counted (as you said). Also, eBay doesn't do the percentage deal any more, it's a flat rate fee depending on the price range in which the vehicle sold.

Either way, it looks fishy. If it was a legit buyer, why would they keep bidding up to the reserve. Why not be the high bidder under the reserve and then contact the seller after the sale ends? If this was a legit bidder, they screwed themselves out of about $20k.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks