• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Width on a unimog 404

davidkroberts

does anyone know the tire width on a 404 running stock milspec tires? i need the measurement in inches from the outside of the tires on the front axle. Not the width of the tire but the width from tire to tire measured from the outside of the front tire to the outside og the opposing tire.

dave in tenn

davidkroberts

man its going to be awful close im trying to tow the thing home on a 6 ft wide car dolly and im not sure i have the clearance...... i dont want to drive for 8 hours to have to just come home.

Mike_Pop

A Mog is too heavy for a tow dolly and you would probably burn out the rear diff. They weren't made for going fast. Your best bet is to trailer it. A 3/4 ton pickup and a tandem axle trailer with a 7,000 lb capacity is your minimum.

For exact dimensions, try contacting some of the people on the Mog Mailing List: http://tx4x4.com/mog.html

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, I'll go by my shop wednesday or thursday and measure mine for you.

Like Mike said, DON'T tow it with an axle on the road. Max speed for towing one like that is 25mph and only for short distance.

Cheers

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Tire Width on a unimog 404

Elwenil said:
I don't think I would tow a 5700 lbs vehicle on a tow dolly. Here is the rig we used to haul Chris' Unimog:
Ahh, that brings back memories. Thanks Lanty. That was a fun Mog.

I used a 16' 4-ton tandem trailer with electric brakes to tow mine behind my Dodge 2500 diesel. It towed really easy. My biggest complaint is that there were no shackles mounted on the 404's to use as tie-downs points. The rear frame ends are pretty easy to get a chain on, but the front is a pain.

Make sure whoever tows it doesn't chain the axles down or the brake lines will be toast.

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Tire Width on a unimog 404

Hmmm, I seem to remember that we strapped your 'Mog down by the axles. Did we screw up your brake lines? I don't remember, but if so I'm sorry! I do remember us having the discussion about binding the frame down or just the axles and letting the suspension ride. From what I remember it towed very smoothly and without incident.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the front there is room to run the chains around the frame just behind the bumper. Also, though I have seen it done, I wouldn't try using the pin in the front bumper to chain it down.

Cheers

Mike_Pop

Like Chris said...definitely be careful what you use as chain points. I recall that I used the front bumper and the frame for the rear. You have to compress the springs quite a bit but it works. On my U1300L, I ran the chain through the front pin and through the rear of the frame.

When trailering a Mog, you might want to consider compressing the springs by strapping or chaining over the bed or frame. This will remove any bouncing while transporting.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Lanty: You guys were fine. The rear line was already smashed when I bought it.

Rory: That's where I would chain it down, but it is tight and you have to feed chains around the swing-fire chamber and coolant hoses. The rear is not too bad. You just have the glad-hand valves and lines to contend with there. I was going to weld some shackle mounts to the bumpers front and rear, but sold it before I could do it.

davidkroberts

well guys,
thanks for the help, ive already contracted with a guy to ship it in an enclosed trailer up to the house. I wasnt really looking forward to it anyway. I used Uship.com and everything seems to be on the up and up but you really have to watch the feedbacks from the shippers.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh...mine is Swiss so it has no swing-fire up front or gladhands in the back. I can see how those would all get in the way.

David, glad you got the shipping worked out. We are waiting for pictures, lest you get the much dreaded but often posted "this thread is worthless..." bit! You are really going to enjoy the Mog.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks