• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt horn...bought on ebay

isaiah

This horn was just bought on ebay cause the NAPA one I bought burned out when I hooked it up directly to my battery...worked for about three blasts then went dead. with these ones rated 24volt it should work right?
This is how the seller described it on EBAY.

heres the link also
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:31&Item=300242355394

This is a multiple identical item listing for 24Volt 355 Hz Military Surplus Horns. Each bid quantity is for One (1) Horn. You may bid / buy any number, up to the total quantity available above.

Nothing says "Here I am! Shoot me!" like a good noisy horn on a military vehicle. Just the thing to raise public awareness of those clandestine operations that otherwise seem to go unnoticed. Simply connect the 1/4" spade terminals to a convenient 24V power source, throw the juice to it, and you'll stand out like a hooker at a family reunion.

These were made in Germany and the quality is superb. Among the assorted numbers is written: FER BELMA. I'm not sure what that means, but it would be a great name for a company that manufactures horns. They have a frequency of 335 Hz, which is probably considered a very "low note" or bass horn (as compared to the higher pitch used on passenger cars and such). Since they were shipped in bulk, there is an occasional paint scratch but all are cosmetic.

Overall diameter is 3-7/8" and they are about 2-1/4" deep. The mounting bracket is .875" wide, .110" thick, and it has a .420" diameter mounting hole.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

The CUCV horn is a standard GM 12v horn of the era and only gets 12v so at best that thing will simply sound like a weak or dying horn. You'll only be giving it half the power it was designed to receive.

CCATLETT1984

or you can use the one you got, you have to hook up a relay that is switched from the original horn wiring. and run power from the 24v buss bar on the firewall to the new horn through the relay.

Bozor1000

Thata's what I figured that the stock horn from the factory was 12 volt not 24. AJM, I think some guys need some educating over here also as to the volt system of a M series truck.

TedG

That looks like a Claxon horn, used on ma-3d portable ac units for alarms. It also might be used on Unimogs for it resembles them. They are very LOUD! 24vdc typically.

regards,

isaiah

Re: RE: 24 volt horn...bought on ebay

msoumas said:
If you get one, let me know how it sounds. :D
Just like what the EBAYER said...
Nothing says "Here I am! Shoot me!" like a good noisy horn on a military vehicle. Just the thing to raise public awareness of those clandestine operations that otherwise seem to go unnoticed. Simply connect the 1/4" spade terminals to a convenient 24V power source, throw the juice to it, and you'll stand out like a hooker at a family reunion.

Thanks for your answers I connected the wire direct to the battery and grounded the other hooked up a push button and it worked.
You may be right about getting half the juice, but it sounded quite loud enough. I just don't understand why the NAPA horn failed after a few bursts. I just thought it had too much juice.

Have a nice day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks