• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hillman Michigan VJ Day 8-8 thru 8-10

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The city of Hillman Michigan puts on a big celebration the weekend of August 8th thru the 10th.
They have invited the MMMT to bring MV's again this year.
It is my understanding that the Great Lakes MVPA will be participating this year also.

Great Lakes MVPA website said:
Victory Over Japan Day Celebration

August 8 - 10, 2008 Brush Creek Mill Museum - Hillman, Michigan

The fine people at the Brush Creek Mill Museum in Hillman have once again invited the
Michigan Museum of Military Transport to put on a display as part of that city's VJ Day Celebration. Hillman is one of the few communities in the nation that continues to observe the day that WW2 ended. This display, in conjunction with a huge parade sponsored by the Hillman Veterans of Foreign Wars, is greatly appreciated by people from throughout Northeastern Michigan, though visitors come from all over the country.

MMMT's Event Coordinator for Hillman is Brian Morrison at (231) 582-2364.
Note: Rob Lorenzi is coordinating this event for the MMMT
and I believe that Clint Barber is coordinating the Great Lakes MVPA side of things.

The city has provided us the baseball diamond on the river, possibly the best viewing of the Saturday night fireworks. The MMMT will have a small display accross the bridge at the Bush Creek Mill Museum as well as another group with a very impressive Veitnam display.

We will be camping with our vehicles on the baseball field, last year we were provided access to the campground showers. Not into roughing it? Regular campground right accross the road and hotels nearby.

The Bush Creek Mill Museum and City of Hillman really go out of their way for us, I hope we can bring more trucks there this year for them, yeah fuel is expensive, in the past they have provided us with food and beverages for the weekend which frees up the pocket book for fuel costs.

While an RSVP is not required to attend this event, it would be nice to know who can make it and what they will be bringing, it will really help those putting it on to know what to expect.

I am planning on a Friday morning arrival with 2 trucks.

Bob

odjeeper

Howdy Bob, I am planning to be there at least for Saturday, don't know what I'll be driving yet. Also wanted to say thank you for bringing your M886 to Grayling Riverfest.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still plannin on a Friday arrival with the M880 & M886
as the AF Ambulance isn't gonna be ready for this weekend.

Those planning on Saturday arrivals should try to arrive before the parade starts, as our location will not be accessable during the parade.

You do not have to be a member to bring your MV to this event, so get that MV out for a test run and come see us!

couple of units. taken in between the rain showers. I ended up taking the M35. the XM818 decided to poop at 3:00 am the morning of the event. Have i mentioned how much I LOVE the juice brakes on these!

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DaveP said:
sorry Bob i did not get a good shot of your other truck. and opie must have arrived after i put the camera away.
Thats okay, that portion of the headlight and grill may be the only area without dents & scrapes :lol:
Had camera with dead batteries myself :roll:

The public attending was very receptive and appreciative of our displays, many questions asked and answered.
Many veterans stopped by and were also very pleased. I talked with two reporters, one of which took many pictures.
The weather took it's toll on the event this year. but still a good event.
Plan now for next year! We need WWII vehicles in attendance, I will be working on completion of my GPW for next year.

Raining here this am, really putting a crimp in my AF Ambulance preparations for next weekend in Clare :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks