• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake lights M1009

BIA

Hey all;

I just SCREENED a M1009 straight off the DRMO at Camp Pendleton. Everything on the rig should be unmodified from the mil, except that the mechanic converted the electrical system to 12 V. The problem I have now is that the brake lamps do not light when I step on the brake. I don't know if the lamps worked prior to the conversion because it did not run before it came to the mechanic. My question is this: is there something that has to be done straight from the military configuration to make the brake lamps work? My thought is that maybe there is some cut-off switch or function to turn the lamps off when black-out driving. The mechanic stripped out all the black out switches on the dash when he made the conversion (for all I know to sell on Ebay). I wonder if this screwed it up too.
Anyone that could help would be most appreciated. I need this vehicle to use with our wildland fire management program. Alas, the rig is still a federal employee. Could it be as simple as a missing fuse? Thanks!

Attachments

muddobber40

Are those the only lights that don't function? The black out switch on the right side or was on the right side controls your running lights, head lights, etc. along with you bo lights in your bumber. Switching to BO mode cuts power to your running all other lights. With that being unplugged your lights won't work, or if he spliced them all together he may have missed a wire. Also, is your brake light switch still there, does it still work prperly.

Attachments

BIA

thanks for the reply...by the way it's an '85. Forgot to mention that.

All other lights work, every single one (hazards, turn signals, reverse, head lights, tail lights) - all but the brakes. (to rule it out, yes the bulbs are in there).
As for the brake light switch, it is there but unknown whether or not it functions. Seems to. Speaking of the brake switch- there is a wire that runs from it to a..hard to explain..it looks like a fuse that can be plugged and unplugged. The wire leads to a double female plug that plugs into double male tabs. Looks almost like a ground. On the other side of it it some kind of switch. Don't know what that is all about expect for messing with it didn't make the brake lights work! Anyway, at first I thought that whole setup was the manual override for the brake lamps for BO driving. However, it has no function that I can determine.

What you said about him splicing the wires and missing the brakes wire seems to make sense. The BO switches are complety missing which means that they would have had to do some creative rewiring. Maybe it got missed at that time. Would that have to do with the 24-12 V conversion?

Attachments

muddobber40

Lost me on the switch wiring. I'll have to look at mine later. The conversion should have nothing to do with it. If done correctly it is all done in the engine compartment. Check to see if you got power going to the switch. I believe the hot one is orange,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks