• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone know what the goverment paid for M35A2?

bmH1065

Mine I think is just a plain Jane. It is titled as a 70 AG (county didn't even have AG listed for tax) but the guy I bought it from says it is a 74 for some reason.

jimm1009

You can tell what year it is by the VIN and registration number.

The VIN will also tell you if it was a plain M35 or M35A2 or M35A series with winch when manufactured.

If you go to G.L.'s site, you can find a truck the same year and look at the price that they paid in a given year by contract number when you dig into the description by NSN or by viewing the lower part of the sales description information. You may not find your specific truck contract number but it will get you close on price.
My 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 WO/W was reported by Uncle Sam to cost $41,832 in 1968. My A.M . General M35A2C WO/W was mis-reported as a 74 so U.S. may have listed the wrong price ($56,870) using 74 data but the truck is acutally a 1972 by VIN & Reg. numbers.
Most vehicles have a label or inventory sheet attached to them that will also list this information too and as long as the paperwork has not been in the weather too long you can probably still read it.
My 1984 M1009 was reported to be $17,400 in mid '84 when I purchased it in '95.
Hope this helps a little.
JIm

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't forget in 1970 a Rolls Royce was $38,000 Gas was 29 cents a gallon and I got a 2 cent per gallon truck discount for having two tanks on my truck. I use those on my wife when she says I spent too much on my trucks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dm22630 said:
Keep in mind that you could buy a LOT more in 1968 with a dollar than you can today.

$41,832 in 1968 is the equivilant of $249239.38 in todays money.

So to answer your question......about a quarter million each. :mrgreen:

REF: http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/
If you ask me we as taxpayers got screwed because there's no way it cost that much to build a deuce in 1968. With the quanity they were buying and the simplicity on witch they are built they should have been around $10,000 or so in my opinion.

Got to remember the Gooberment loves to over pay for stuff. Ever seen what they pay just for some tools? Got to love tax dollars at work. But i guess some companies look at it as them putting some money back in civilian pockets as they make a large profit.

saddamsnightmare

August 2nd, 2008.

Gentlemen:

Uncle never overpays!!!!Never, Never, Ever! I have never seen him overpay!!!! In 1968 we were buying heavy duty White Construcktors with Raven bodies for about the same price as a deuce dump truck, and they were fairly comparable machines, except the Construcktors didn't have the live front axle capability. The mil-spec on the frame steel, axles and engines/blocks and bodies probably did drive the price up (all those NFT bolts, you know!!!), but a three room frame and brick addition to my mother's house then cost about $18,000.00 and a Ford Pinto would be about $1750.00 or so..... So I figure Sam did get 36 years outta my truck one rebuild and two wars later, so compared to today's civiliian trucks, yeah, the equivalent figures are about right....
Where else, outside of railroad locomotives and ships, have you seen a heavy piece of construction or transportation equipment go 37+ years in service???? (Outside of MEXICO!!!???).

Just my 2cents worth, but I'd still buy that REO Truck Co. "Eager Beaver" design team a :beer: ,if they were still around!

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Truck
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen-set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David,

I'm thankful every day when I look outside and see my trucks parked there. I thank myself and all the other vets especially my late Father who served ib the so-called police action in a certain neck of the woods you happen to be in right now.

Been there with the Kitty Hawk and hit the beach in a WWII landing craft. Talk about chills.

Thanks David and to all our active duty personnel, all our vets, and all the ones who went before us and made the ultimate sacrifice.

ida34

Don't confuse the price shown on the GL and the paperwork with the trucks. This is not what the government originally paid for them. This is what they have spent on the truck over the span of its time in the military. This is how they decide what trucks to get rid of. When the money spent on the truck adds up to the magic number they turn it in for disposal. Replacing the fender on my M818 is what put if over the limit. It runs pretty good and it does need a seal but the truck is not worn out at all. My main point is I think the $45000 figure is the turn in amount, not what they paid for them originally new. I am sure some of the guys that work in the system can either confirm or deny this.

ida34

After looking around I found at least one post that agrees with me. I would estimate the original cost in the $15000 range with the rest of the $30000 being what was spent on fixing, rebuilding, and maintaining the vehicle for 35-40 years.

G744 said:
I worked for the Army at Yuma Proving Grounds for a short time years back, and I learned costs on equipment sent in as surplus was the total of purchase plus whatever was spent on repairs & labor during it's life.

Be it a truck or a file cabinet, it carried a history in terms of dollars spent. The gov't had a formula such that once it went past a certain expense amount it was "out of here".

This practice aways led to "cannabalizing" things out of the turn-in yard as they were "free" and could be used to keep a favorite old truck alive when funding for it was cut off.

dg

PS...Dodge got right at $9,000 per M37 for the last contract in '64, I have no inside info on G742's.

bmH1065

The PO of my truck got it from the gov. It was sold because of the hydrovac. We replaced these quite often on the Reo's. After getting out of the Army, I spent a few years in the NG. We had an old staff car (Dodge w/slant 6) Someone backed into it and had to have lots of body work. It was paid for by the guy who backed into it. Shortly after getting it back it was needing new tires. At that point it left us for retirement.

I had seen what was paid for these trucks back in the early 70's but cannot remember the amount.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The aquistion cost is what Uncle Sam paid for the truck complete with it's BII... It's the price tag on the item. Say he bought 100 widgets for $100 under a contract.. Aquistion cost per item is $1.00, and thats the cost thats listed on the documents we see at DRMO/GL.

That cost has nothing to do with the life cycle cost, which is how much the item will cost for to buy AND maintain it over it's intended service life.

The Maintainence Expendature Limit (MEL) is a list published by Uncle every few months that has listings by NSN of all the items Uncle fixes.. It lists by year and NSN the % of thew cost of the repairs that you can perform. If the cost of parts exceeds the MEL for that NSN and year, the item gets coded out as being uneconomical to repair and heads to DRMO/CANN point.

When Uncle decides an item is obsolete, he makes the MEL for the item 0%, which means you technically cant spend a dime on it to fix. If it needs anything from a tire to a light bulb to an engine, it gets coded out...

Guess what the MEL is on M44A2 series trucks????? :)

If you want to read a bit, here is a the step by step on what happens when a truck is in an accident, and how they figure out it is it worth fixing.. I got this off another website.

These procedures show you how to prepare and process an Estimated Cost of Damage/Actual Cost of Damage (ECOD/ACOD). Qualifications and criteria for technical inspectors are also covered.

The primary purpose of the ECOD is to determine, prior to repair and/or evacuation, or turn-in of unserviceable end items or components, the estimated cost of damage to government owned equipment; it may or may not be followed by the determination of actual cost of damage. An ECOD may be requested by the owning unit commander, or may be provided by the maintenance activity in the absence of a specific request, when, upon technical inspection by the maintainer and verified by a designated Technical Inspector, it is determined that damage to the equipment is through other than fair wear and tear. In the latter instance, upon determination that damage is through other than fair wear and tear, repairs will cease and an ECOD will be done and provided to the (LTC-level) commander, who will then investigate the cir*****stances of the damage to determine whether or not willful misconduct or negligence occurred, and then, based on the findings, either complete a damage statement, releasing the equipment to the maintenance activity for repair, or, when willful misconduct or negligence is suspected, initiate a Financial Liability Investigation of Property Loss (FLIPL) [formerly a Report of Survey] to formally investigate and make determination as to pecuniary liability for the damage. When a FLIPL is initiated, repairs may not commence until such time as the equipment is released for repair by the Financial Liability Officer. If a finding of the FLIPL is that one or more persons are pecuniarily liable for the damage, an ACOD may be required to fix the actual loss to the government.

An MOS qualified mechanic trained on the equipment to be inspected can prepare the ECOD. A designated Technical Inspector certifies it. The ECOD can be done at either the Field Maintenance or Sustainment Maintenance echelons. The Technical Inspector must be designated on orders by the company commander, and is normally the senior ranking NCO in the maintenance activity/repair section. Commissioned Officers do not normally serve as Technical Inspectors, but may use their legal authority to determine and certify that a thorough technical inspection has been performed.

The Maintenance Expenditure Limit (MEL) is a critical piece of information needed to prepare an ECOD. The MEL is the dollar amount limit that can be spent for a one-time repair of an item to return it to a completely serviceable condition (10/20 standard). The MEL is listed in the Technical Bulletin that pertains to the equipment being inspected. In order to find the appropriate TB, cross-reference the Federal Supply Category (FSC) of the equipment being inspected against the listing in EM 0198. The FSC is the first four digits of the National Stock Number (NSN). The EM 0198 is found at www.army.mil/usapa/tech/EM_0198_1.html.

The following section provides guidance on how to determine expenditure limits, technical inspection procedures, and repair cost estimates. This example is based on the information in TB 43-0002-81, but is only an example. The Technical Bulletin (TB) which pertains to the equipment being inspected is to be used.

Determining Expenditure Limits

A determination to ensure that the expenditure limits will not be exceeded is required each time an item is received at the maintenance activity. Repair will not be broken into separate jobs to reduce total cost. Whenever cost to repair exceeds the MEL, the item must be reported for disposition or a waiver to repair must be obtained. To determine limits:

a. The MEL percentage factors identified in the TB are used to determine the maximum dollar amount that can be expended to return an item to a serviceable condition. The dollar amount is the limit of repair authorized. This limit is compared with the estimated cost of repair. Repair is not authorized if the estimated costs exceeds the MEL unless a waiver is granted to exceed the MEL.

b. An inspection is performed to determine the extent of the maintenance effort required restoring the item to prescribed conditions or serviceability and to determine if the item is economically repairable. The estimated repair cost is obtained during this process by computing the cost/elements which are required to repair an item to the standards specified in the appropriate TM.

c. The dollar expenditure limit is obtained by multiplying the appropriate percentage factor obtained in the TB by the Planning Price of the item being repaired. The Planning Price (Current FY-Price) for end items is contained in SB 710-1-1, Chapter 7 and also in FEDLOG. Standard prices in the Army Master Data File (AMDF) (minus credit for return of unserviceable) will be used for secondary items. The cost to repair a secondary item must not exceed the cost of a replacement item (secondary item MEL = 100%).

Technical Inspection

Maintenance organizations and activities are responsible for performing the technical inspections incident to repair. Technical inspections are to be made by a qualified individual with Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) or job classification specific to the item being inspected. Inspections are performed IAW equipment maintenance and serviceability standards. The results of the technical inspection will:

a. Determine if the unserviceable condition is the result of other than fair wear and tear; ensure components have not been removed, and inform owning unit of the need to assess liability as necessary.

b. Determine the extent of the maintenance effort required restoring the item to prescribed conditions of serviceability.

c. Classify the item as economically or not economically repairable with the correct condition code.

d. Provide for verification of items with condition code P (unserviceable, materiel classified by inspection); or H (unserviceable, condemned).

Results off technical inspections will be recorded on the appropriate forms. The form will reflect each applicable cost element and the estimated cost of repair. The expenditure limit will be included to compare the estimated cost and to make a determination as to repair or disposition of the equipment.

Repair Cost Estimates

Repair costs are based on all costs necessary to return materiel to a serviceable condition. If repairs are determined to be within the scope of the maintenance activity, serviceability standards applicable to the level concerned will be used to determine work required. Operating expenses will not be included in the cost estimate if the item being repaired is not excess to unit needs, was not damaged accidentally, or is repaired on a return-to-user basis. Operating expenses include all scheduled and unscheduled service and repairs that are accomplished by the using organization, including repair parts. The repair cost estimate is derived from the total cost of the following elements:

a. Direct labor (military and civilian), excluding initial inspection costs, includes all labor that can be specifically identified with the repair. Direct labor rates, which apply to the total man-hours estimated, are obtained as indicated by procedures below.

b. Direct materials include all repair parts, components, and assemblies directly applied during the repair program, including PA-funded materiel. Cost of the part will be the AMDF price, except where local repair programs are already in effect. Credit is taken for the return of the repairable component in the amount equal to the current standard inventory price, less the estimated cost to repair the component. Use an estimated cost if materiel is required from local sources or needs to be fabricated. Estimate the cost against the price of a like item.

c. Indirect or overhead costs include the cost of operating the shop and administrative expense chargeable to the activity or operation.

d. All costs for contracted services are included whether the services will be for complete repairs of for a small portion of total repairs. Estimates are from contract do*****ents or expected cost.

e. Shipping and transportation costs.

(1) Freight will not be included as an element of cost when the equipment to be repaired is located in CONUS. When the equipment to be repaired is located overseas and no local capability to repair exists, the cost of freight to CONUS will be included as an element of cost. The cost of freight will include all transportation and handling cost from point of use to designated CONUS point of repair.

(2) When equipment cannot be repaired onsite, and costs are incurred to prepare the equipment for shipment, such cost (including materials) will be included in the estimate of cost to repair regardless of origin or destination.

f. For all costs expected to be incurred to complete repair which cannot be included in cost elements above, estimate repair from past records or expected cost.

Procedures to determine the total estimated cost of repair are as follows:

a. Direct Labor Costs. Multiply the total estimated man-hours of direct labor by the direct labor hourly rate. The direct labor hours estimated will be based on the Maintenance Allocation Chart (MAC) or actual past experience. The direct labor hourly rate is found as follows:

(1) Military - Labor rates for military personnel are the average military wage rate for the work center performing the work. The servicing Finance and Accounting office provides these rates.

(2) Civilian - Labor rates for civilian personnel are based on the labor rate for the work center that will perform the work. The servicing Finance and Accounting office provides these rates.

b. Determine the total cost of the remaining elements and add this amount to the total labor expense.

c. Obtain the MEL percentage factor and determine if repair is authorized.

d. If repair cost is equal to or less than MEL value, the item may be repaired. If repair cost is greater than MEL value, the item will be returned to the customer for turn-in action or processing of a waiver to exceed the MEL. Items should only be repaired if requirements for the item exist. If you are unsure whether or not requirements exist for an item, contact the National Inventory Control Point (NICP). The NICP strongly recommends that excess vehicles at or near the end of their useful life not be repaired (brought up to TM 12/20 standards) until the excess vehicle has been reported to the NICP and disposition instruction have been received.

A table which may be helpful in computing total repair costs estimates and MEL follows. Use of actual repair expense column may be completed to assist in future cost estimates. Use only those elements applicable and available.

ELEMENTS ESTIMATE ACTUAL
a.Repair Hours Required _______
Military______ Civilian_______
b.MIL Avg Hr Rage x MIL Rep Hrs_________
c.Civ Hr Rate _________x 1.29________
x Civ Repair Hours ________
d.Material Cost =
e.Indirect Overhead Costs =
f.Contractual Costs =
g.Shipping/Transportation Costs =
h.Other Costs =
i.Total Repair Cost = b+c+d+e+f+g+h = _______
j.MEL Percentage Factor ____________
x Current Replacement Price = MEL

k. Is MEL greater than the estimated repair cost? YES/NO

l. If YES, repairs are authorized.

m. If NO, notify customer of the results and assist in the disposition; or retain pending results of customer's request to waiver the limit. All forms used in inspecting, classifying, and determining maintenance limits will be provided to the customer for assistance in the disposal or reporting to the Major Subordinate Command (MSC) for disposition instructions.

Do not include items of operating expense (Unit maintenance which has not been performed) when repairing on a return-to-user basis.

The Planning Price (Current FY Price) is used for major items. The Standard Price is used for secondary items.

Disposition

Disposition of materiel is the responsibility of the using unit and the Supply Support Activity accountability officer. Disposition of materiel by supply activities is IAW procedures in DA PAM 710-2-1 and DA PAM 710-2-2. The reporting of unserviceable materiel to MSCs for disposition instructions will be IAW provisions in the supply update or other appropriate DA guidance.

a. Maintenance support units will assist SSAs or supported units, as necessary, in the evacuation of unserviceable or uneconomical repairable materiel to expedite turn-in or further evacuation.

b. At the end of the useful life of a vehicle, the time at which the MEL has reached zero, repair expenditures are permitted only when necessary to retain an acceptable level of readiness in a tactical unit.

c. When returning equipment to supported customers, all forms inspecting, classifying, and determining MEL will be provided to assist in requesting waiver, disposal, or reporting to MSC for disposition instructions.

Waivers

A request to waiver the published MEL may be submitted by the using (owning) unit for by the supporting materiel management center through supporting maintenance channels responsible for repair to your MACOM commanders for approval. The MACOM commanders may exceed the published MEL when any of the conditions of AR 750-1 apply.

Major Army Commanders will ensure the following when considering waivers:

a. The required repairs will not be broken into separate job estimates for the purpose of cir*****venting prescribed one-time repair allowances.

b. The unit or organization requesting the waiver has been unable to obtain timely replacement of the uneconomically repairable asset from the appropriate NICP.

c. An urgent operational or training requirement exists which justifies uneconomical repair.

d. Resources are available (or can be made available) to the requisitioning organization or command to accomplish the required repairs within and acceptable period of time.

References:

a. Department of the Army Forms

(1) DA Form 461-5 (Vehicle Classification Inspection)
(2) DA Form 2404 (Equipment Inspection and Maintenance Worksheet
(3) DA Form 2407 (Maintenance Request)

b. Department of the Army Pamphlets

(1) DA PAM 710-2-1 (Using Unit Supply System, Manual Procedures)
(2) DA PAM 710-2-2 (The Supply Support Activity, Supply System)
(3) DA PAM 7738-750 (The Army Maintenance Management System, TAMMS)

c. Department of the Army Regulations

(1) DFAS, REG 37-1 (Pricing for Materiel and Supplies)
(2) AR 700-127 (Integrated Logistics Support)
(3) AR 750-1 (Army Materiel Maintenance Concepts and Policies)
(4) AR 750-2 (Army Materiel, Maintenance, and Wholesale Operations)
(5) AR 725-50 (Requisitioning, Receipt, and Issue System)

d. Department of the Army Supply Bulletins

(1) SB 700-20 (Army Adapted/Other Items Selected for Authorization/List of Reportable Items
(2) SB 710-1-1 (Standard Study Numbering System and Replacement Factors)

e. Department of the Army Technical Bulletins

(1) TB 43-0001-62 Series (Equipment Improvement Report and Maintenance Digest) DA Pamphlet 750-8 gives systematic guidance on how to prepare a DA 2404 used as an ECOD. DA Form 2407 is used to initiate a work order to perform an ECOD. The ECOD/ACOD is also done on the automated 5990-E.

The following sections provides systematic guidance for filling out a DA Form 2404 used for an ECOD (this can also be found in DA PAM 750-8). This can also be extracted to use in unit maintenance SOP.

Instructions 1 - 10 below correspond to numbers 1 - 10 on the DA Form 2404. Instructions 11 - 21 refer to the data entered in columns a - e on the DA Form 2404.

1. Enter the name of the unit to which the equipment belongs.

2. Enter the nomenclature and model of the equipment.

3. Enter the registration or serial number. Use the NSN if no serial number is available. Enter the DA Hull Number for watercraft.

4a. Enter the miles or kilometers rounded up to the nearest mile or kilometer. Enter the letter "k" if kilometers are used. Leave this item blank if the equipment does not have an odometer.

4b. Enter the hour meter reading if available (if no hour meter is available, leave blank).

4c. Enter the number of rounds fired, if applicable.

4d. Leave this entry blank.

5. Enter the date of the ECOD inspection.

6. Enter the letters ECOD

7. Enter the applicable TM(s) and date. When the manual has changes, print W/C, and the change number. Enter the date of the change in the TM Date block.

8a. Enter the name, grade, signature, and organization of the inspector preparing the DA Form 2404.

8b. This entry is not required, but may be used if needed.

9a. Enter the name, grade, signature, and organization of the certifying official or authorized representative.

9b. Leave blank or use locally as needed.

10. Leave the Manhours block blank--estimated manhours needed for repair are listed elsewhere on the form.
In Columns a - e, enter the information according to the following steps. If additional space is required, use additional DA Forms 2404 as needed.

11. On the first line in column b enter "Step 1." In column c, enter "Technical Inspection."

12. On the second line in column a, enter the number 1 (for the first fault listing). In column b, enter the status symbol that describes the fault. Status symbols are listed in the center section of the DA Form 2404.

13. In column c, enter the fault detected during the technical inspection.

14. In column d, enter the maintenance action (repair or replace) required to correct the fault.

15. In column e, enter the man-hours required to correct the fault.

16. Continue listing faults in this manner as needed. Once all faults are listed, move on to step two of the inspection.

17. In column b enter the number 2. Print "Date of Manufacture" in column c, and enter the appropriate date in column d. The date of manufacture is obtained from the equipment data plate or in block 11 of DA Form 2408-9 maintained for that piece of equipment.

18. On the next line, in column b, enter the number 3. In column c, print "Time Since New:" and in column d, enter the total number of miles or kilometers, and hours.

19. Enter the number 4 on the next line in column b. In column c, print "Outstanding Modification Work Orders:" List all applicable modifications that have been accomplished. Next to each modification, enter the man-hours required to apply the MWO. If no MWOs apply, print "None."

20. Enter the number 5 on the next line in column b. Print "Total Man-Hours to Repair:" in column c, followed by the number in column d. This number is the sum of all man-hours associated with faults listed above in column e.

21. Enter the number 6 on the next line in column b. Print "Total Man-Hour Cost:" in column c. Calculate the total man-hour cost in column d, and print the total dollar value in column e. Total man-hour cost is determined by multiplying the estimated total hours required to do the repair by the current local labor rate. Current labor rate can be obtained by contacting the installation Finance and Accounting Office.

22. Enter the number 7 on the next line in column b. Print "Maintenance Expenditure Limit" in column c, and the number and date of the applicable TB in column d.

23. Enter the number 8 on the next line in column b. Print "Repair Cost Factor" in column c, and enter the appropriate percentage and dollar factor of the repair cost from the TB cited in Step 7.

24. Enter the number 9 on the next line in column b. Print "Required Replacement Parts:" in column c. Provide a listing of required parts with NSN, Noun, quantity, and cost headings.
25. Enter the number 10 on the next line in column b. Print "Total Cost of Replacement Parts:" in column c. Enter the sum of the repair parts cost in column e.

26. Enter the number 11 on the next line in column b. Print "Total Cost of Repairs:" in column c. Enter the sum of the values obtained in Step 6 and Step 10 in column e.

tiger422

I am convinced that my truck as well as many others at camp blanding were drained of brake fluid, no brakes painted on fenders.
I filled and bled brakes drove home 1 month later no sign of any leaks.
Could it be the way they found to get rid of them????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks