• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC57 in August 2008

Ugg013

Wolf:

Here's a history lesson for ya bro. Back in the day, vinched vehicles came from the factory with longer frames to mount the wich at it's proper distance. Now in the field, modifications were sometimes made.

If they wanted a winch on a non winch vehicle, they found a wreck & cut part of the frame off & welded it on to the new \/other vehicle they wanted the winch on.

Back to the future. Some enterprising indiuviuals in the Power Wagon world saw a need for non winched PW's to get winches & made extension for sale. Being that PW's are offshoots of WC's, the extensions fir perfectly, but it all depends on what size engine ya have, the 230 or 251. Long of short extensions.

His look like I beams welded with angle iron across for support. If it works it works.

Later
Ugg

Wolf.Dose

Ugg013,
I know very well that they (means any kind of users) modified the Doges to their needs. I also konw that they used anything which they got on hand.
I kindly asked whether the extentions and the winch are Original! I expected a serious answer!
I worked many years ago on these vehicles, surplus from the French Army. They had any kind of immagtinable and not immaginable modification!

Ugg013

Wolf:

It was meant as a serious answer, but not offensive, & I'm sorry if ya took it that way. Back in the day, troops used whatever was at hand to make things work for their special needs (le; the Rhino Bumpers on the Shermans to cut thru the Hedgerows), so I wasn't talkin about us guys that are just playin with these trucks.

Yeah, I heard the French did some wild things to these trucks after they got hold of em. There's also a few big boneyards there, with hunders, if not thousands of old US vehicles, just sitting & rotting. :( BTW, there's a picture floating around from the PTO, where some Marines bolted a .50 to the front bumper of a WC 51 for anti aircraft purposes.

Just Tryin To Be Helpful :wink:
Later
Ugg

Ugg013

Oh Wolf:

Did ya see my post about frame extensions (Ooops, Beast Update (Front Bumper :oops: )? To me, it looks as if the winch dealy on WC 57's CC was not a military app of any sort, & that's not meant to belittle him in any way either. Just an observation. Again, if it works & he's happy, that's all that counts.

Later
Ugg

Ugg013

Wolf:

I have MANY friends that are not native speakers of American English (& not many of us native speakers do that well either), & have never had a complait. Maybe questions for clarification, which is how one learns. Unfortunately, it's been over 30 years since I spoke any German to where I got any response in German. I do use it when training my dogs, unfortunately, they only respond in dog. :wink: :lol:

I would be more than happy to clarify anything I say so you can better understand, hell, I'm here to help if I can. I am by no means an expert with these vehicles. My experience with them goes back only 7 years. I have however, worked on cars & trucks (much of that time professionally) since I was 7, which is almost 50 years ago.

I am NOT PC(politically correct), nor do I want to be. I also just want to have fun and often joke around in my comments. This is not an advocation, but a hobby for me, and IMHO, it's supposed to be fun & NOT serious. I got way to many other really serious things to deal with in life. I hope that clears things up.

Later
Ugg

Wolf.Dose

Ugg013,
I saw the front end of that WC 57 and did not commend it. And I do not want a continental war to become from this. I'm in this forum to help the people to my best knowledge with their problems. For that I sometimes go through my manuals and books and try to find answers.
I also like to joke. But some people misunderstand my intentions.
I got claims about posting my experiance on this and that. Now you post your experience. I accept that. I'm in the professional truck and car bussiness for more than 30 years and many people in the MV scene in Germany ask me for help.
Hope this helps to understand my side.
Wolf

42WC57

Guys- I knew that the unusual winch would start a conversation, and I'm sorry I didn't chime in with an explanation before this but I've been away for a few days.

The winch is obviously not original, and the frame extensions for the normal one wouldn't fit this size. It is from a larger truck of the same vintage. I was told by the original owner that the winch had been broken somehow, and since his friend had a MV wrecking yard he could get anything he wanted. He just scrapped the Braden MU2 and put the CUCV unit in place. It's too heavy and does not fit into my plans for historical accuracy. Luckily I found a local Power Wagon fanatic who has a complete MU2 with extensions which he will swap straight across for the 15 ton job. That should happen soon.

The headlight buckets also had become rusted out and are now slightly newer ones. I hope to swap them soon as well if I can find the proper ones.

Sorry to have started a bit of an international incident, I appreciate everyones interest, and will listen without prejudice to any comments offered. I need help in constructing the proper rear seat frame since the original is missing. I may simply resort to logic since I have never a photo of the original. Maybe Wolf could offer some advice in this regard.

Many thanks, Neil

nattieleather

WWII trucks that came factory with winches had longer frames and the winch bolted to the longer frame. The winch exstention are a later modification.

Yeah the winch looked a little big for the CC but hey... :) Truck looks good. Please keep us posted as you go along. Did I mention I sell leather?...lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks