• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 Trailer Pick Up*** NOW WITH PICS***

mtnpatriot

OK, I'm Heading to Colorado Springs to pick up my M105A2:

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/8892/8891142.jpg

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/8892/8891143.jpg

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/8892/8891144.jpg

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/8892/8891145.jpg

It was REFURBISHED in mid '06. I don't have any spare tires for it and I am going to trailer it to El Paso with my civ '06 diesel Silverado. I've got a set of mag lights, a pintle hitch, a Hi-Lift Jack, some hand tools, and a couple good prayers to ensure I get home. My question is this; If I have tire problems on the way home, can I use fix-a-flat for the tires? Additionally, can a standard repair/tire shop fix a flat on these tires? I don't have any experience with these tires.

Anyone in Colorado Springs have an extra tire & wheel they want to sell?

Angus1

RE: M105A2 Trailer Pick Up Question(s)

the tires on those trailers are tube tires. Anybody should be albe to fix a flat.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial

Lug nuts are 1 1/2 " ..Might have really good tires if there was a referb in 06 . Good luck keep us posted

mtnpatriot

Well I bought the following to tow mine home (I got everything at etrailer.com):

Cushioned Pintle Mounting Bar - 10 Hole

Pintle Hook, Bolt-On, 10K

Magnetic Towing Light Kit, 20 ft. Long Cord

And a spare one of these (it comes with one but I bought an extra)

Pintle Hook Mounting Kit

I'm in Colorado Springs now and I'll pick it up tomorrow morning. Anyone know what spped limit I should stay under when I tow it 650 miles back to El Paso?

And THANK YOU ALL for the PM's and the info!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

They track nicely. Put maximum rated pressure in those 9.00x20s and roll! Just mind your increased braking distance. You should be able to run 60 mph w/o much problem. I'm sure guys have pulled them at 65, but until you've had a few hours of, "getting to know each other" time, no need to get going too fast, too soon.

Stay to the right and enjoy a nice easy trip home.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've .pulled home more than a few 105s behind my pickup. Once accustomed to the banging around, they are a breeze to tow. Should be a fun journey.

Srjeeper

Judging from the pics, I'd say the trailer is in excellent shape, so you shouldn't have any problems. Once you get rolling, stop every half hour and carefully feel the hubs to see if anythings heating up. The trailer weighs in around 2700 lbs so drive accordingly and enjoy the ride. :wink:

mtnpatriot

Well I picked up the trailer. I met Brent13 and he helped me get her hooked up. Thanks again Brent.

As for the trailer, a couple observations:
1) She is in NEW condition. Refurbished 06/06 and only a SMALL scratch or two.
2) She is HUGE! I didn't realize just how large the M105's are. Need to rethink keeping this one or getting a smaller one.
3) Brent & I could not get the "landing leg" (not sure of the proper name) to lock in the "up" position for traveling down the highway. Ended up lashing it in place with a ratchet strap. Worked good as a simple temp-fix but need to come to a propper perm-fix if I am going to keep it. It looks like there was a 1/4" plate welded on during the refurb and it is just a hair to thick to allow the leg to lock in place. I'm thinking about taking a mini-grinder to it to take off some of the plate off.

I pick up a couple spare tires & wheels for $40. Thanksfor the intro on that one reitenger!

Any suggestions would be appreceiated.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is supposed to be a thrust washer between the gear and trailer tongue. If the rebuilders have two thrusts on the gear, it won't go up far enought to latch in the travel position. Nice trailer, looks new!

mtnpatriot

WillWagner said:
There is supposed to be a thrust washer between the gear and trailer tongue. If the rebuilders have two thrusts on the gear, it won't go up far enought to latch in the travel position. Nice trailer, looks new!
Do you happen to have a pic of what it is supposed to look like? Mine won't make it past the leading ledge to allow the locking pins to engage & lock in the holes. I don't want to take a mini-grinder to it unnecessarily but I'm not sure what a correct ones looks like or how it functions.

Brent13

Steve,

Pictures hardly do it justice, that trailer looked brand-spankin'-new. It actually looks no bigger than a 101 in the pictures, but I know better seeing it in person. That mother is
enormous!!!! What is the actual size difference from a 101. I know it is taller, but is it both longer and wider? Anyway, glad to hear you made it home and didn't abandon the beast along the road.....

Brent

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an exploded view, but it is in a paper TM. I will scan this afternoon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks