• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Disaster! Three Donkeyss hard at Work!

ostrich911

Another mini-disaster with Northwoods and Ostrich911 attempting to assist a friend in need.
Our friend decided to go 4-wheeling behind his house and got his 4x4 pickup stuck in the mud. We have had about 15 inches of rain up here since July 4th. We take my truck with the winch that Northwoods so graciously along with our friend changed the winch oil just a few days before. When we get on the scene, yup, there is a 4x4 pickup in the mud, but it is not alinged with my Deuce, so we decide to run the cable around a tree to make a 70 degree or so angle to the 4x4 we are pulling out. So along with us battling the water logged ground and the mosqitos and black flies looking for every drop of our tasty blood we give it our best college try.

Transcript of Conversation between Northwoods and Ostrich 911:

Ostrich911: Are you sure you know how to run that winch?

Northwoods: Oh Yeah, Michael and Me ran it at the shop after we changed the oil in it. It is easy to run.

Ostrich911: I dunno know, that thing looks dangerous, I would be careful. Are you sure you read the manual on that thing?

Northwoods: It is NO PROBLEM, I know how to run it! Go up in the truck, turn up the idle, push the clutch in and lift the door on the floor and move the lever to REV and release the clutch and get out of the way.

Ostrch911: (I do as ordered and get out of the truck and stand clear of the operation) I think we should stand clear in case something happens, make sure Michaels wife and child are out of the way.

Northwoods: Everyone ready? I am going to engage the handle, (He is outside at the winch and engages the handle) Whoaaaa!!! Oh Sh*t!!!! F**K!!!!!! STOOOOPPPP IT!!!!!
(The 4x4 we are pulling comes flying and bouncing out of it's muddy hole like a toy being slapped around, and hits a tree as it is being slung around)

Ostrich911: SHUT IT OFF, the truck hit the tree!!!

Northwoods: IT WON'T SHUT OFF!! OH SH*T!!

Michael (owner of truck): DAMN IT SHUT IT OFF, THE TRUCK IS BEING CRUSHED!!! SHUT IT OFF!! SHUT IT OFF!!

Northwoods: IT WONT SHUT DOWN!!! THE HANDLE IS STUCK!!
(Northwoods jumps over the moving cable and runs to shut down the truck, which stops the winch from doing further damage)

Ostrich911: What happened, I thought you said you knew how to run that thing? WOW! I have a new respect for that winch.

Northwoods: I dunno what happned, we ran it easily before. Oh look! The winch is all binded up and looks like it is jammed.

Ostrich911: Yeah, looks great, a smashed up truck and a damaged winch, we could of paid a couple of professionals to come out here and it would of been cheaper than having us three donkeys do it.

Total Cost: Damaged Dodge 4x4 pick-up truck $2000, Damaged 6x6 Winch $500, three donkeys getting their butts kicked, PRICELESS!

HOW DO WE GET THE WINCH BACK IN WORKING ORDER AND UN-JAMMED? The cable jammed under one of the brass nuts, and it is really stuck. Do we need to take the whole winch off the truck?

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you cant get the cable unstuck, your going to have to remove the winch and take it apart.. Might as well replace the seals while your have it apart......

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess maybe you read the wrong TM for the winch too? The lever on the winch is for setup only, the winch is controlled from the drivers seat only! and a second person should be watching the winch winding and operation as a guide to the driver! You can KILL people doing things like you just did. Read and UNDERSTAND the Operators and repair manuals before using the truck! Try hooking your cable to a large unmovable object and disengage the lever on the winch. Put the winch in neutral and pull it out to get it unstuck. If needed, use reverse on the winch also. Operate the winch from the drivers seat always. The lever on the winch is not designed to disengage under a load(as you just learned).

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy to unjam. Hook to nearest tree, put winch lever(and PTO lever) in neutral, and give it a jerk.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Winch Disaster! Three Donkeyss hard at Work!

Stretch44875 said:
Easy to unjam. Hook to nearest tree, put winch lever(and PTO lever) in neutral, and give it a jerk.
Don't be in such a rush to jerk things off! Try a gentle pull, cables and winches are not meant to be jerked hard!

BTW, are you guys related to Wreckerman in Ga?

ostrich911

Fortunately, nobody was hurt, but I can certainly see how that could easily happen. After that last incident I have been studying the operators manual very closely. I have a new respect for this truck and its equipment. Once the winch is back in operation we have both agreed to get trained by practicing with it before going out on any new missions.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st: There needs to be an operator inside the vehicle at all times. One that is thouroughly familiar with the controls. Then somebody needs to be outside, giving the operator directions.

When your using the winch, things are seldom, if ever, lined up! The outside observer needs to keep an eye on the drum, to keep it relatively smooth, as well as the load that your pulling. A winch truck needs two (at least) snatch blocks, and chains, to go around the corners.

The little bind on your drum is unfortunate, but not a big deal. You should be able to take the load off the jaw clutch with power (in or out) and get the drum in neutral. Then tie onto one of those big trees and and pull the line back out with the truck. Then re-wind your line. The drum usually always needs to be re-wound, after a winch job - often, several times during the winch operation.

Your lucky there, to have trees around - things are a little more challenging on open Tundra!

Lee in Alaska

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post up any questions or concerns you have after reading the manuals. Look at the data tag for starters and read the TM's listed and Operators manual. search the site for threads that might answer your questions and ask if unsure. Many people here will offer good help to keep you safe and well educated in the safe operation and maintenance of your truck. Save the TM's available here on the site in the resources section. They download fast when you save them and them you will have them to read anytime. If you need info on which ones to read please ask. In the evenings, or anytime, try the live chat too, plenty of good conversations and help there too.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ostrich911 said:
..... and lift the door on the floor and move the lever to REV and release the clutch and get out of the way......

What door??? :? Why REV??? :? Clutch released and out of the truck??? :shock:

ostrich911

Thanks 4 Star. There is certainly a learning curve with anything new, it would of been helpful to hook up with someone who already owned one. As you can imagine we also broke the shear pin on the winch drive. We tried unwinding it by pulling, but it didnt budge. Now it may seem funny, but it could of been a lot worse. I attempted to make the post slightly entertaining, so hopefully someone else will learn from us won't make the same mistake.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Winch Disaster! Three Donkeyss hard at Work!

Just a fact, the winch pto lever on the floor requires use of the foot clutch whenever it is moved (in-case that is not clear). All in the Manuals

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Winch Disaster! Three Donkeyss hard at Work!

You will need to put the pto in neutral and rotate the winch drive shaft to line up the hole and drive out the broken center of the shear pin to replace it. You might try changing it first or unbind the cable by pulling it out first then change it. Be sure to use the correct aluminum shear-pin. I get them from Saturn Surplus or Memphis Equipment, buy a half dozen to have on hand. Maybe change the pin to a bolt temporarily and use a pipewrench on the driveshaft to unbind it? Be careful and DON'T use a bolt and turn it with the engine! Humility is good! Look at the Members Map in the resources section and see if there is any members listed near you to get together with for some help. Or post a new thread looking for people near you and organize a get together at your place! New England is pretty general, where are you located?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Winch Disaster! Three Donkeyss hard at Work!

doghead said:
Stretch44875 said:
Don't be in such a rush to jerk things off! Try a gentle pull, cables and winches are not meant to be jerked hard!

BTW, are you guys related to Wreckerman in Ga?
:popcorn:

hippiedude

Thank goodness nobody was hurt or well lets not go there.....Lession learned....Read,read,read ..... good luck with the winch..... oh ya pics of the dodge please Tim

Cdub

Wow….that must have been some experience…………. :popcorn:

any pic of the 4 x 4 truck wrapped around the tree……..??

Cheers,

C’dub

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had my winch for three and half months now and have had no urge to operate the winch yet. I guess I have seen too many horror stories on the site.

I have the manuals and before I touch any of the winch controls there will be two of us and one will be sitting in the driver's seat running things. The other will be out watching things.

Maybe I'll get a camera person as well........... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks