• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mighty mite disposable?

tatra813

I was just curious, not knowing a lot about the mighty mite, I read a article saying they were made to be disposable and werent built very strong, just curious if this is what the owners are finding. Does it make a durable offroad vehicle?
thanks.

Jones

I'm pretty sure they're durable.
Disposable often just means that components are welded, not bolted together. Major components are designed to be unit changeable-- i.e. old engine blows up, change out with new engine, throw old engine away. This cuts down on having a warehouse full of spare parts. A good-sized conex box would hold a couple of spare engines, spare transmissions/transfer cases, maybe an axle or two, a complete wired spare body and you'd be good to go.
If I'm not mistaken, one of the provisions of the contract was that ALL tooling, assy. jigs. spare/extra parts were to be turned over to the Marine Corps when the last of the vehicles were delivered. Makes maintaining a mighty mite a real challenge.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard the U-joints were plastic, LOL. Mine aren't. Looking at the Mite(mine has the body off), looks pretty stout to me. Fully boxed frame(prototypes had tube frame), and the attachements all look good. I belive it's rated to haul/tow just as much as a M151. Decent, if wierd, springs. Driveshafts are the same size as the willys jeep.

Engine comes apart like a aircraft engine. Each clyinder has it's own jug. transmission and diffs are normal, just made of aluminum. Really neat vechicle, hope to get mine running someday.

Dennis

DSD277

I would hardly consider a Jeep with standard locking diffs front and rear as disposable. From the standpoint they could be airlifted into a forward area, yes.
I have been intreged by all the innovations in the Mites. Inboard brakes, 4 wheel independent suspension ( unlike the Mutt's rear swing axles, until the A2s), air cooled engine, light aluminum body, automotive type seats. Other than the seats are non adjustable, and the small cutouts at the "doorways" are a real pain to get my rear end in and out of, it is a pleasure to drive :D

Dave Dunn

citizensoldier

This is a Marine term meaning it dont have to make it back.. The were designed for front line opps and many time they fell victim to a phospherouse granade so the enemy could not use them.
They were ahead of there time if you look at the suspenion on one. Very strong independant and will go up a tree if you let it..

saddamsnightmare

November 4th, 2016.

Remember, almost everything in the military is "disposable" under the right conditions. The M422/M422A1's were much more expensive then the standard M38A1's, but then they were designed to be airlifted by the old Sikorsky helicopters that preceded the UH-1 Huey's, so the weight had to be kept down. The engineering was exceptional, probably the weakest point in the whole vehicle was the front hub bolts as they were only 5/8" diameter, but the design was otherwise like most 1970's / 1980's front wheel drive cars which followed them.

If more had been built, they might have amounted to something beyond the curiosity that they are today, as they are much more stable then most modern SUV's and much better then most in their off road performance. They were light years safer then the M151 1/4 Ton utility Truck, the so called "MUTT".;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks